BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
hacksaw
hacksaw
hamden, ct.
New BritBike book out!
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Fitting BSA fork seal
#826974 10/18/20 8:07 am
N
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
N
Hi fellas, I am in the process of fitting fork seals to the chrome holders on my B31. I can get the seal into the holder where it sits flush with the bottom of the holder but I still need to push the seal another @18 mm further into the tube for it to be seated correctly.

The seal is a tight fit in the holder and I am worried about damaging the seal or threads on the holder if I use too much force.

Is there a trick to fitting these seals?

Cheers

Neil

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Fitting BSA fork seal
Norton Neil #826976 10/18/20 9:18 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I use a correctly sized aluminum drift ie the size of the seal OD minus 0.5mm to give clearance so it does not damage the threads etc, the rubberised seals are tighter to fit than the steel OD seals but worth using as they seal better on the OD. A large socket wrench also works, just select one just under the OD of the seal but being steel it needs more care to avoid marring the threads. Triumph seal holders are much more substantial and the Norton ones go directly into the fork lower of course, the BSA type is flimsy in comparison.

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership