Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Member Spotlight
Hillbilly bike
Hillbilly bike
Finger Lakes
New BritBike book out!
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 15 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Britbike forum member
OP Online Content
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Hugh Jörgen
Brevity is the soul of wit
Surely you're not implying I shouldn't have covered the 320-pages of this in my 3-min. video:

[Linked Image]

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
"All right, Mr. Guilfoyle, I'm ready for my close-up."

1970 T120R - 'Anton'
1970 Commando - 'Bruno'
1967 T120R - 'Caesar'
1968 Lightning - 'Dora'
1 member likes this: NYBSAGUY
B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
Originally Posted by Magnetoman
I turned a spare bedroom into a studio and dragooned my twelve-year old granddaughter into being a stand in for setting the focus and to tweak the zoom and positioning to get a head-and-shoulders shot without showing the fan above or the bookcases below. Then, mostly as a test of the sound level I went through my draft script (which needs to be 2-3 min.) while she listened to what ended up just over 4 min. Her comments were, it's too long, I spoke too fast, her mind wandered because there was too much information, and it would be a lot better if there were images and not just me talking. I laughed, because she was obviously right on every count. She didn't know that the final video will have images inserted, but my revised script now comes in under 3 min.

Funny she should be 12

Apparently that is the "optium age " for grammer & vocabulary for a museum exhibition according to the mnagement of the NSW Powerhouse Museum
Dumbing down the exhibits is another reason why I never go there any more .

Still hoping that Qld will allow me in for the opening but looking very dubious till after the new year .
Looks like they want the lock downs o continue so every one can travel over christmass and spread infections uniform ally over the entire country.

Bike Beesa
Trevor
Britbike forum member
OP Online Content
Britbike forum member
"I'm ready for my close-up Mr. Guilfoyle."
Originally Posted by BSA_WM20
Funny she should be 12 ... Apparently that is the "optium age " for grammer & vocabulary for a museum exhibition ... Dumbing down the exhibits is another reason why I never go there any more .
We've now uploaded a total of ~1 Gb of high definition video of us speaking about the exhibition. I'm not sure there's much, if anything, we said that a 12-year old wouldn't understand, but it wasn't because of any deliberate dumbing down on our part. That's just the way we are...

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A good pic of a 56 Goldie, and a simple , " There you have it, thank you all for coming " would do fine.

71 Devimead, John Hill, John Holmes A65 750
56 Norbsa 68 Longstroke A65
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
The poster formerly known as Pod
Britbike forum member
OP Online Content
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by gavin eisler
A good pic of a 56 Goldie, and a simple , " There you have it, thank you all for coming " would do fine.
Our assumption in curating this exhibition was that a family that just paid AU$60 for admission probably would be expecting a bit more than that for their money. Although, we could be wrong, in which case we wasted our time on identifying and locating the 99 extraneous motorcycles that they won't want to look at.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Maybe, go for it MM. Call it Art and you might get away with it.

71 Devimead, John Hill, John Holmes A65 750
56 Norbsa 68 Longstroke A65
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
The poster formerly known as Pod
Britbike forum member
OP Online Content
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by gavin eisler
Call it Art and you might get away with it.
I wish you would have suggested that a year ago. It would have saved us a lot of time and effort.

1 member likes this: gavin eisler
DOPE
DOPE
I'm not sure there's much, if anything, we said that a 12-year old wouldn't understand, but it wasn't because of any deliberate dumbing down on our part. That's just the way we are...

isaac newton would certainly approve of that approach

I would rather be ashes than dust
B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
I'm not sure there's much, if anything, we said that a 12-year old wouldn't understand,

Funny how it never seems to work the other way round

Perhaps it is just me becomming old and crotchety
But just about every thing I hear now days that is open to the public or is going to be broadcast seems to be dumbed down now days and it seems to be getting worse .
One of the good things about attending public lectures was even if you did not agree whith that was being presented, there was always some thing there to challenge you, if nothing more than the very words used .
Now days they tend to sound like a primary school play ground at lunch time .
All emotion & no interlect .

Bike Beesa
Trevor
Britbike forum member
OP Online Content
Britbike forum member
Nearly three years after we started serious discussions, and after exchanging countless Word, Excel, and Acrobat files and Zoom calls, today four photographs showed up and suddenly it became real. Two of the photographs showed 15 bikes parked in two holding rooms at QAGOMA, and the other two showed two of the three rooms with the already-constructed angular plinths where they'll be installed. I'm very jealous of those of you who live in Queensland (and potentially jealous of those in other parts of Australia).

1 member likes this: NYBSAGUY
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
So you are not getting feelings of déjà vu ? !!

[img]https://images.adsttc.com/media/ima...design_ArtOfMoto-exh_ph12.jpg?1476292817[/img]

Or

[Linked Image from guggenheim.org]

Strange things are happening with 'travel bubbles' and border closures at the moment.
Hordes of NZers are coming in, and going willy nilly all about the place.
The Qld election will be over in a couple of weeks too, so whether this forces all the borders open
or backfires badly remains to be see.
Cargo ships are also coming here with infected crews, which doesn't bode well either,
although at least they are now aware of it and taking suitable measures ...

The press are making something of the fact that one ship appears to be carrying a new hitherto 'undetected' strain of coronavirus.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-10...rain-anchors-off-sunshine-coast/12796842

Britbike forum member
OP Online Content
Britbike forum member
We're doing the final round of fact-checking prior to creating the labels for the exhibition, comparing the information provided by lenders with that we had determined ourselves. In most cases where there are discrepancies, it's a matter of differences in rounding (e.g. a lender listing 500 cc vs. an actual 499 cc). However, things get "interesting" with the Harley-Davidsons.

I have 10 ft (3.1 m) of Harley-Davidson books in my library. Unfortunately, as I already knew, all but a few of the authors of those books were simply lazy, for whom the term "fact checking" clearly means copying from whatever is closest at hand. or just making it up. Assuming, for the moment, that the books that only list the engine size for a 1914 bike (which most don't even bother doing) are correct, it's either 60.33 cu.in. or 60.34 cu.in. With this in mind:

Two books list the bore and stroke of that engine as 3-5/8" x 3-1/2". That's 72.24 cu.in.

Another book lists the engine as having 3" x 3-1/2" and 61 cu.in. An engine of that bore x stroke would have 49.5 cu.in.

Another book has 3-1/2" x 3-5/16" and 60.34 cu.in. That's 63.74 cu.in.

Another book has 3.43" x 3.50" and 60.33 cu.in. which is 64.68 cu.in.

Since most Harley books contain no useful information at all, it requires looking through a half-dozen books to find one that lists something seemingly-useful, then calculating the engine capacity and finding the data given in that book is wrong. Sigh...

I had made countless trips from my office to my library, 15 steps down and 15 steps back up, when we were compiling information for the catalog, but this has given me another "opportunity" to repeat those steps. Again, sigh....

R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
Must you be so pedantic, this is primarily an ART show ?? !!
Can't let errors creep in though, can we.

This brings to mind the stats for some versions of 4 cylinder engines.
Mid 20s, the changeover from iron to lynite pistons had seemingly 2 different sizes of pistons in the parts list.
This led punters to think that 2 different sizes of engines were being produced, although only a cube or 2 different.

In fact, the iron and lynite pistons had such different rates of expansion the quoted sizes of the actual pistons varied
enough to lead to this conclusion - but the engines were the same nominal displacement.

Checked the stats for that 401 engine ?

Britbike forum member
OP Online Content
Britbike forum member
With fact-checking for the display labels finished and back in Australian hands it's time to turn to our next task, producing a virtual tour of the exhibition. NYBSAGUY drafted a script that has us each describing eight highlights (possibly to be reduced to six in the final edit) that, when our video and audio is combined with stills and video made at the exhibition, should end up at ~15 minutes. Fingers crossed that our riveting narration will keep viewers enthralled beyond their normal attention span.

My granddaughters are here today for another round of virtual schooling so I'll start shooting my segments tomorrow, with the goal of having everything finished and uploaded to QAGOMA by our Sunday evening (their Monday morning). This gives me three days to produce my ~10 min. of audio and video. If you haven't done something like this yourself, three days may sound like a lot of time, but it's not. Just setting up the camera and lighting for each shot easily can take more than an hour. Add the time for a number of takes, along with locating and editing the best of the takes and, before you know it, it's Sunday evening.

2 members like this: NYBSAGUY, Morgan aka Admin
Britbike forum member
OP Online Content
Britbike forum member
Plinths are being fabricated, motorcycles have been crated and are winging their way to Brisbane, and catalog(ues) are beginning to ship from the printer. 'The Motorcycle: Design~Art~Desire' is on schedule to open in just five weeks on 28 November. Of course, sadly for us, NYBSAGUY and I can't be there in person. So, instead, we've been busy making high definition videos as a substitute.

Yesterday NYBSAGUY filmed his half of a virtual tour of exhibition highlights, and today I filmed my half. There also will be a third half consisting of stills and videos being shot during the installation to be interwoven with the videos we just made to produce the final virtual tour.

The high contrast of direct sunlight isn't the best for filming, so quite a bit of time today was spent getting rid of light.

[Linked Image]

Aside from the contrast, another problem with the sun is it moves. It's hard to see in the next photograph, but that's an umbrella clamped to the top of the ladder, which every five minutes I had to move sideways to hide the sun.

[Linked Image]

2 members like this: Morgan aka Admin, NYBSAGUY
B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
A third 1/2 ?
You must have been really tired .
interesting set you made for yourself there .
Not much in the way of a breeze on top of that ladder I hope .

Bike Beesa
Trevor
N
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
N
And this is me, doing the same thing. The sun in New York State is even more uncooperative than in Arizona. It keeps coming in and out. So whereas MMan can manage with a little white bounce umbrella, I needed a 100sq ft 'silk' to keep the light even on my delicate Irish complexion.

For the sharp eyed among you, there is some Brit content in the picture. MMan and I decided we needed to 'dress' our sets with something relevant. In his case, his lovely Catalina. I am leaning on my 49 BSA ZB34/M29 bitsa, the so-called NYBSA. In the background, a 20yo Montesa HRC trials bike (which has 30km on the clock), and my trusty Ducati M1000, from 2005.

I have a slight advantage over MMan in the sense that I do this for a living. On the other hand, for over forty years I have lived behind the camera. Rambling out front presents a very uncomfortable change of scenery.

Glad to be on the final stretch of this project at the Gallery of Modern Art in Brisbane. But delighted to be able to bring a major design exhibition to a new audience. In its 150 years history, the motorcycle has way out-performed its design origins of two wheels, a frame and an engine in the middle. And now, with self-balancing technology, electric power, 3-d printing, and 'maker' improvisation brought to the game, it is being reinvented in new and fantastic ways.

UGVirtualTour.jpg
2 members like this: Hugh Jörgen, Magnetoman
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Difficult to tell who is enjoying the experience more.

1970 T120R - 'Anton'
1970 Commando - 'Bruno'
1967 T120R - 'Caesar'
1968 Lightning - 'Dora'
Britbike forum member
OP Online Content
Britbike forum member
It's often not easy to tell from the outside when an academic is experiencing unbridled joy.

1 member likes this: Hugh Jörgen
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
It's often not easy to tell from the outside when an academic is experiencing unbridled joy.
A bit like wheat farmers, but way more expressive

2 members like this: Magnetoman, NYBSAGUY
N
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
N
I don't understand. I have known MMan for almost thirty years. He is the very picture of unbridled joy. And this snapshot captures it perfectly.

1 member likes this: Magnetoman
Britbike forum member
OP Online Content
Britbike forum member
[Linked Image]

4 members like this: Morgan aka Admin, NYBSAGUY, Hugh Jörgen, Noe
Britbike forum member
OP Online Content
Britbike forum member
I got an email today from someone offering to loan a motorcycle to "the show." If this were a "show," sure, why not? NYBSAGUY and I could, but likely won't, write an extensive article detailing the many differences between organizing a design exhibition for an international art museum, and a motorcycle show. As a few examples, shows don't involve writing books, presenting lectures, checking facts, or three years working with professionals from a range of disciplines.

As I was changing my clothes this weekend prior to recording video for the exhibition I heard part of an interview with David Byrne ('Talking Heads'). When he was asked about issues he's faced with recording music during these last eight months, he said he's been doing everything except recording music because it is quite different to perform without an audience. I couldn't agree more. I've given public lectures to 2000 people, and it's definitely not the same to speak only to a camera. For me, at least, speaking to an audience of any size is similar to having a conversation, since it's easy to see on the faces whether I'm making a connection and, if not, immediately know that I need to rephrase what I just said. In contrast, succinctly conveying useful and interesting information while speaking to just a camera staring expressionlessly at me requires a script.

As an aside, a term I had heard of, but assumed was just a quaint holdover from olden times, was someone attending a conference to "read a paper." I mean, no academic actually reads a paper describing their work to an audience, do they? However, twenty years ago I was surprised to find that in certain academic circles, they do. Personally, I don't have the attention span to listen to someone read their densely-worded turgid academic prose for fifteen minutes, with no supporting visuals, let alone pay enough attention to learn anything from it. Shortly after having seen, er, I mean, heard an art historian "read" a paper for the first time, I was at a small interdisciplinary conference. At a small dinner for speakers prior to the start of the conference I went on at length about how ridiculous it was for someone to read a paper about art without showing any images. The next day an art historian who was at my table read her paper to the conference, without any images. The conference then went on for two more days. Did I mention it was a small conference, where it was impossible to avoid bumping into all the participants multiple times? Gulp...

Anyway, with my half of the virtual tour of some of the highlights on tape and edited down to an 8-minute, 3.6 Gb file, the next problem was to upload it to QAGOMA. I tried uploading it overnight over our slow and unreliable DSL connection (where the estimated transfer time was 10-12 hours), but in the morning found, not unexpectedly, that the upload failed. So, I drove to one of my university's wifi hotspots where the upload speed is ~25 Mbps, so it should have taken 20 min. Twice QAGOMA's site issued a timeout error after about 5 min., so I decided to try uploading a heavily compressed version since that should have taken just 4 min. It took nearly 45. I might have blamed seaweed in a trans-Pacific cable for the sluggish speed, but given the error messages for the larger file, QAGOMA is guilty unless proven innocent.

C
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
C
[Linked Image]

Much better photo.... the other one looked more like one of those proof of life pictures only without the newspaper.

1 member likes this: Magnetoman
Page 11 of 15 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Moderated by  Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership

Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, | DVD- Manuals & Parts books