Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Member Spotlight
Peter R
Peter R
Netherlands
New BritBike book out!
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 15 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 14 15
D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
Different posters using different words to describe their opinion of the visual appeal of an aircraft:

"A thing of beauty"
"Pleasing to most eyes"
"Like the look of"

Different words with different meanings for different people, which will probably also change depending on context.

I like looking at an operational foundry, I also like looking at the mechanical demolition of buildings. Not much in the way of "flowing lines" and unlikely that either would be described as a thing of beauty!

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
Warning - thread hijack !!

Originally Posted by Dibnah
I like looking at an operational foundry, I also like looking at the mechanical demolition of buildings.!

Do you now.
Are you anywhere near Walsall ? (nr Wolverhampton / Brum)
Scene of the great Mason & Burns /Cyclops malleable iron foundry mysteries ...

R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
Originally Posted by George Kaplan
Different people like different things and that is something to rejoice in. I love Salvador Dali and yet I know people who hate his works. Likewise I really am not keen on musical theatre and yet my wife loves it.

Vive la Difference!

Good comment.

Somewhere I saw a rundown of what makes say a Nigerian person attractive to a Nigerian and say Ugandan to a Ugandan, etc. Vive la Difference! certainly applies there - although you can see why.

Although not in the same vein, what is perhaps more mysterious is why say a crow is attracted to a crow, or why a
sparrow likewise to a sparrow. i.e. "birds of a feather flock together"
Since they can't see themselves in the mirror, or carry a photo in their wallet.... ???

Q
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Q
... birds of a feather ?
Who's your mama ? [Linked Image from avich.com]

S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Originally Posted by Rohan
Although not in the same vein, what is perhaps more mysterious is why say a crow is attracted to a crow, or why a
sparrow likewise to a sparrow. i.e. "birds of a feather flock together"
Since they can't see themselves in the mirror, or carry a photo in their wallet.... ???
Hijacking this even further, look up Skinner's work on imprinting.

Trying to atone somewhat for the damage of my first line, a number of motorcycle manufacturers used avian names for some of their models.
Whether any of them held sufficient design/artistic merit to make it to the exhibition shall remain to be seen.

Q
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Q
[Linked Image from pablopicasso.org]

“We all know that Art is not truth.
Art is a lie that makes us realize truth
at least the truth that is given us to understand.
The artist must know the manner whereby to convince others of the truthfulness of his lies.”
[Linked Image from images.gr-assets.com]

R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
Getting waaay off tangent here,
how does that work for a cuckoo in the nest then ?

I thought it was artistic licence, not artistic lies !?!
Pardon monsieur, quelle mistake ...

D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
Originally Posted by Rohan
-
-
Are you anywhere near Walsall ?
-
-

Not currently, although I have worked in the area as a contractor. Excellent beer.

Oddly enough, the last foundry I visited (as a contractor) was an art foundry.

R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
Art foundries are almost the only survivors in the foundry game, this side of China even.
If anyone has a hankering to visit Walsall and explore how a dirty big iron foundry suddenly
turned into a kebab shop ? on a big scale, enquire within, as they say.
Normal service will be resumed shortly....!

So, is it the inner artist (artiste ?) that gets involved in the manufacture of motorcycles,
or is there more to it than that. Pouring metal to make something that moves seems to have
afflicted many over the eons. Metal superceded wood, which would take it back some millennia ?

B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
Yes it is dissapointing every week when my copy of Foundry Planet arives there are more foundries for sale.
One in Germany, two years old & never done a single melt

Bike Beesa
Trevor
N
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
N
Yet sales of plastic moulding and forming machines are always increasing.

B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
The aim of consolodated capital is to get ALL of your money in their pockets
So when you dropped your 1948 Triump and trashed the dustbin fairing a panel beater knocked it back into shape so Triump made no money from that.
When you drop your 2008 Triumph and trash the plastic fairing, it can not be repaired so you buy another one from Triumph and they make more money from you .
Add to that plastic is way too cheap because oil is way too cheap for a finite resource.

Bike Beesa
Trevor
D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
@ Rohan, what does Google Earth show for the site?

West Midlands heavy industry was probably responsible for creating the art form of Heavy Metal https://www.thevintagenews.com/2017/11/29/tony-iommi/

The bronze age predated the iron age. There are those who claim that the bronze age started in Greece, my view is that it started in Dudley.

For pre-WW2 cars and locomotives, streamlining also became an art form, but perhaps not so much for bikes, although this Henderson has curvy lines.

[Linked Image from fristartmuseum.org]

https://fristartmuseum.org/misc/1930-henderson-kj-streamline

Britbike forum member
OP Online Content
Britbike forum member
QAGOMA's shop personnel already have been busy for several weeks building stands, plinths, etc., and this week they started construction in the largest of the three galleries that will house the exhibition. To give an idea of the scale of this exhibition, the three rooms total 2257 sq.m (24,300 sq.ft.), which is comparable to the space that was used by 'The Art of the Motorcycle' at the Guggenheim in New York.

Meanwhile, Australia's rate of new covid cases (mostly due to Victoria) peaked three weeks ago and since then has fallen by more than 60%. If it continues to fall along the same curve the country will be back to the pre-flareup single-digit baseline by the middle of September.

R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
With the proviso that there have been clusters of new cases in Qld (and NSW), and we are back in some stage of restrictions.
I've lost track of what these actually are at the moment, but I think that 10 persons is the limit at any Qld gathering ?
Which may make for rather thin crowds at exhibitions.

One potentially concerns inmates in a number of jails, so the potential for spread is concerning...
These cases are still to play out, being less than 14 days, so time will tell....

Britbike forum member
OP Online Content
Britbike forum member
Australian corona cases have been steadily dropping since they peaked the first week in August, to where the number of new cases each day in the entire country (48 yesterday) is only one-quarter that of just those of my university (196 yesterday). The drop has been exponential since the peak and, if nothing intervenes to change the slope, the entire country will be into single digits in less than a month.

A lot of work is taking place, but the major developments this week were that NYBSAGUY and I finished writing the labels to go with each of the motorcycles, and we're now writing the text for the half-dozen or so wall panels. At the same time, we've been working with QAGOMA's media team on a few issues, including the best way to handle our press interviews and keynote lectures. Also, Phaidon's team arranged a conference call with us this coming Monday to discuss plans for marketing the book at a time when book tours aren't an option.

1 member likes this: George Kaplan
B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
Originally Posted by Magnetoman
Australian corona cases have been steadily dropping since they peaked the first week in August, to where the number of new cases each day in the entire country (48 yesterday) is only one-quarter that of just those of my university (196 yesterday). The drop has been exponential since the peak and, if nothing intervenes to change the slope, the entire country will be into single digits in less than a month.

A lot of work is taking place, but the major developments this week were that NYBSAGUY and I finished writing the labels to go with each of the motorcycles, and we're now writing the text for the half-dozen or so wall panels. At the same time, we've been working with QAGOMA's media team on a few issues, including the best way to handle our press interviews and keynote lectures. Also, Phaidon's team arranged a conference call with us this coming Monday to discuss plans for marketing the book at a time when book tours aren't an option.

Unfortunately the border is not likely to open for us filthy diseased southerners till christmas so being there for the opening is now a non event .
Was having a chat to Marita ( Sec BSAOC Qld ) the other day and the idea of including the exhibition as a day trip connected to the Qld All British Rally was mooted , she will see if they can shift the date forward so the rally happens before the exhibition closes. And if suitable parking for large numbers of motorcycles can be arranged.
Way back when the management of the Powerhouse Museum in Sdney were human beings & I was a member of the Friends they regularly allowed special interest groups to park as a static display on the forecourt when exhibitions that were connected were happening, Thus the visiting vehicles became an extension to the exhibition , they even provided drip trays and display information cards and if we were really lucky a free cuppa.
Down side was you had to be there before it opened & remain there till after it closed .
Now days they have become doenuts so the idea of having a motoring enthusiast even in the museum is abhorrent to them.

Hope you STAY SAFE , those numbers from your Uni look scary

Last edited by BSA_WM20; 09/12/20 5:41 am.

Bike Beesa
Trevor
N
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
N
Our colleagues at QAGOMA are making special arrangements for parking motorcycles behind the museum, specifically to accommodate groups such as yours. Magnetoman and I are beyond disappointed not to be able to be there for the opening, if at all, but we shall live vicariously through the experiences of our motorcycling friends all over Australia, some of whom are also lenders to the exhibition.

Britbike forum member
OP Online Content
Britbike forum member
With the machines selected, lenders located, Phaidon catalog written, and most text for the exhibition space itself completed, NYBSAGUY and I are now slowly transitioning into pre-opening and pre-book-launch activities. Basically, many of those activities require us to make various-length videos of us speaking.

Unfortunately, it's my misfortune to be co-curating this exhibition with a world-class filmmaker for whom agreeing to simply make Zoom videos would be like getting a Gold Star owner to agree a Beagle/Starlite is an acceptable substitute for a DBD Clubman. Obviously, we can't be next to each other in a studio in front of a high def camera, or even separately with identical backgrounds and lighting, to make these videos, which complicates things a bit. However, luckily for me, developing a workable solution for the video issue falls almost entirely on NYBSAGUY's shoulders. But, there's not much time for him to solve it since the initial videos are needed a month from now.

In the future there will be various live Zoom meetings with large numbers of participants, and even the possibility of a multi-week lecture "class," but more on these and other developments in future updates.

S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Unfortunately, it's my misfortune to be co-curating this exhibition with a world-class filmmaker for whom agreeing to simply make Zoom videos would be like getting a Gold Star owner to agree a Beagle/Starlite is an acceptable substitute for a DBD Clubman.
It's nice to see acknowledgement from an owner of a Lesser Model that it can't compare with the superlative Starlite.

Leaving model envy aside, it's nice to see that thins are proceeding apace, or as apace is is possible in the current situation.

2 members like this: Magnetoman, NYBSAGUY
Britbike forum member
OP Online Content
Britbike forum member
Things continue to look up south of the equator, with daily deaths for all of Australia in single digits for the past three weeks (vs. ~750/day in the U.S.) and new cases also on track to hit single digits within another week or so (vs. >40k/day and rising). And, low as the number of new cases is, the situation is even better than the raw numbers imply since many of those cases are Australians returning from overseas and in mandatory quarantine, i.e. they aren't out in the community spreading it.

As I read their regulations, Victoria and NSW remain as declared covid hotspots, but as of 1 October people from the rest of the country will be free to travel to Queensland. I also understand that the border with NSW may open within the next several weeks if present trends there continue, and travel from New Zealand starting before the end of the year seems to be a definite possibility, again given present trends. All of which will have a positive effect on exhibition attendance.

In April pessimists were certain we should abandon all hope, and the major spike in Victoria that peaked in early August seemed to confirm that pessimism. That would have left QAGOMA's galleries empty in November since there would have been no time to arrange an alternative exhibition, or restart the motorcycle exhibition, once things began looking promising again by late August. Thankfully for its citizens, Australia implemented a science-based approach to this pandemic and, luckily, we stayed the course with the exhibition.

Although I wrote "stayed the course" in the previous paragraph," actually my notes from extensive conversations between 25 March and 7 April show that NYBSAGUY and I recognized the issue of international shipping (among other issues) and completely rethought the exhibition during an intense period of work. In light of our perception of the after-covid (AC) world that informed our choices as we rethought the exhibition, both of us believe the result is well worth the effort we put into it. With worldwide deaths already above 1M, it's clear that people living during the present time will see things as BC (before covid) and AC (after covid). We've created what will be the first international design exhibition for the AC world, but it's too bad neither of us will be able to see it. Sigh...

On the "hardware" end, QAGOMA's workshop has been busy during September reconfiguring the largest room, after which they will move to the second-largest, and finally to the space between those two rooms. Meanwhile, on the "software" end NYBSAGUY and I are still writing text, deciding on video clips and static images for the walls and small screens in the exhibition space, and creating long-ish Youtube "lectures" (although, I hope, with a much broader appeal than that word might imply) and shorter ones for the press. That work has been taking a lot of our time. Their film department has created an excellent program to screen during the five-month run, and are in deep into the time-consuming task of securing screening rights. Their Public Programs team already has met with several clubs that will stage runs at the time of the exhibition as well as set up their bikes for viewing on the lawn next to the gallery.

I went through old posts and didn't see that I mentioned it before, but thanks to covid-related production and shipping issues the exhibition catalog(ue), which is a stand-alone book, will be available in Australia and the rest of the world before the opening on November 28, but in the U.S. not until December 16. That's not ideal for Christmas shopping, but not much about 2020 has been ideal.

2 members like this: George Kaplan, Hugh Jörgen
Life member
Life member
Getting close.

From local BSAOC magazine.

smile

GOMA.jpg

BSA 1969 A65F
BSA 1966 A65H
Triumph 1968 T120
Kawasaki A1R
& too many projects!
2 members like this: NYBSAGUY, Magnetoman
Britbike forum member
OP Online Content
Britbike forum member
With all the ups and downs in Australia, in April, and again in August, it seemed a safe bet that the exhibition wouldn't take place. But, it now looks like anyone who placed those bets stands to lose their money. Opening is just six weeks away and we couldn't be more pleased that throughout it all everyone stayed the course rather than give up in the face of covid.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

NYBSAGUY's and my major effort for over a week has been scripting and filming... no, I mean taping..., no I mean videoing several short, um, videos for them to supply to the press. Also, we've started scripting a longer set of videos and audio clips to be spliced... no, I mean digitally combined into a virtual tour of the exhibition, and will turn our attention to that effort as soon as we deliver the short videos.

NYBSAGUY has the unfair advantage in making his videos in that he's an award-wining professional filmmaker... er, videomaker... er, actually, filmmaker works here. Anyway, he actually knows what he's doing. That said, I've made a number of my own unprofessional short videos to illustrate various points in my talks so I'm not starting from zero. However, it's been a while since I made my last one, and meanwhile Premiere Pro and After Effects have gone through a number of upgrades, so I've had to relearn enough of what I used to know in order to produce something that doesn't look amateurish.

I turned a spare bedroom into a studio and dragooned my twelve-year old granddaughter into being a stand in for setting the focus and to tweak the zoom and positioning to get a head-and-shoulders shot without showing the fan above or the bookcases below. Then, mostly as a test of the sound level I went through my draft script (which needs to be 2-3 min.) while she listened to what ended up just over 4 min. Her comments were, it's too long, I spoke too fast, her mind wandered because there was too much information, and it would be a lot better if there were images and not just me talking. I laughed, because she was obviously right on every count. She didn't know that the final video will have images inserted, but my revised script now comes in under 3 min.

3 members like this: NYBSAGUY, George Kaplan, Hugh Jörgen
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
Brevity is the soul of wit

1970 T120R - 'Anton'
1970 Commando - 'Bruno'
1967 T120R - 'Caesar'
1968 Lightning - 'Dora'
1 member likes this: NYBSAGUY
G
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
G
Her comments were, it's too long, I spoke too fast, her mind wandered because there was too much information, and it would be a lot better if there were images and not just me talking.

The good thing about asking a young grandchild to critique something is that you know that you will get an honest opinion (just don't let you wife ask your granddaughter what she thinks of a new outfit)

John

1 member likes this: NYBSAGUY
Page 10 of 15 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 14 15

Moderated by  Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard

BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, | DVD- Manuals & Parts books