BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
hacksaw
hacksaw
hamden, ct.
New BritBike book out!
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Petrol (gasoline) tank sealer
#826462 10/13/20 4:50 pm
S
S-NJ-W Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
S
Can anyone recommend a petrol tank epoxy sealer that won't peel off when exposed to petrol? smile

I am looking at the Caswell sealer sold by Brit Cycle supply. Wondered if anyone has experience of it.

http://www.britcycle.com/Products/235/235_02.htm

Steve.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Petrol (gasoline) tank sealer
S-NJ-W #826469 10/13/20 5:20 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Ironic. I’ve just had some POR15 sealer in my tank which I made a mess of and after a week it’s deciding to flake off in places. So now trying to remove it.

The POR-15 is actually a great sealer.... providing you don’t do like me and make a hash of it.

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (undergoing restoration)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

S-NJ-W #826473 10/13/20 5:34 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Redcote installed at a radiator shop.

Bill
1974 Norton Commando
1966 Lightning
1965 Lightning Rocket
1966 Norton Atlas
1967 Norton Atlas
1948 Panhead
S-NJ-W #826483 10/13/20 6:08 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I've used Por15 on a couple of tanks and it seems to work well enough.

Preparation is key so I would recommend the following steps:-
- rinse out with detergent and hot water, usually you will find chunks of rust and other debris coming out. Repeat this step a couple of times.
- next try filling the tank with a couple of handfuls of gravel and shake around until your arms cant stand it any longer. Rinse and repeat a couple of times.
- then get hold of some citric acid crystals which will remove any rust, home brew shops are a source and also eBay etc. You probably need around 200g for a gallon and this should be enough for a tank. You will need to fill the tank with the citric acid and water, then if you have filled with 1 gallon, position the tank so that the solution covers various areas of the tank for a day or two ensuring every inner surface is covered for at least 24 hours.
- after the citric acid has done its work rinse with hot water and dry out.
- the next step involves using concentrated phosphoric acid (around 75%) rinsed around the tank to form a rust proof phosphate layer. You only need a cup full rinsed around for 10 mins or so, drain any excess. Strangely aquarium shops sell phosphoric acid for lowering the PH of water in fish tanks, so that's one source apart from the web
- next the tank needs drying so you could use a rinse of litre of iso alcohol first and then leave the tank in a warm place with ventilation to clear any fumes.
- lastly use the sealant of your choice, this will involve swilling the sealant around the tank until its completely covered internally and isn't pooling anywhere.

I don't have any particular sealant preference and as mentioned Por15 works well. I have also used Epoxy Novolac Resins similar to Caswell which seem to also work well.

Last edited by gunner; 10/14/20 4:40 pm.

1968 A65 Firebird
1967 B44 Shooting Star
1972 Norton Commando
S-NJ-W #826495 10/13/20 7:11 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I've used Caswell several times in fiberglass tanks all with great success. A 2 gallon tank (ie Hornet, Firebird, Spitfire, etc.) uses about 50% of the sealer kit with some of that excess being drained. Tank prep is important. The Caswell sealer kit comes with tank prep instructions.

1967 BSA Wasp
1967 BSA Hornet (West Coast Model)
1967 BSA Hornet (East Coast Model)
1968 BSA Firebird Scrambler
1968 BSA Spitfire Mark IV
1965 Cyclone Competition Build
S-NJ-W #826518 10/13/20 11:36 pm
L
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
L
Like Gary, I've used the Caswell in a number of glass tanks, and with a 100% success rate.

But in a metal tank I've only ever used something which I'd maybe have a chance of getting out in case of failure. Only done a few of these, used the Bill Hirsch sealer. Worked well, but I don't have those tanks around any more to comment on long term. You can pretty much get that stuff out with MEK.

Allan G #826532 10/14/20 7:25 am
B
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
B
Originally Posted by Allan G
Ironic. I’ve just had some POR15 sealer in my tank which I made a mess of and after a week it’s deciding to flake off in places. So now trying to remove it.

The POR-15 is actually a great sealer.... providing you don’t do like me and make a hash of it.

Get a broad spectrum UY Globe and expose the inside of the tannk to UV
POR !% is bullet proof to everything except UV
It will go chalky and just about fall off,

Last edited by BSA_WM20; 10/15/20 9:23 am.

Bike Beesa
Trevor
BSA_WM20 #826534 10/14/20 7:36 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by BSA_WM20

Get a broad spectrum VY Globe and expose the inside of the tannk to UV

I’ve got a litre of paint stripper in there at the moment, keep giving it a shake and turning it around. It’s scraping off in the tunnel with a screw driver, I’ve also ordered some MEK (according to another forum where someone’s had a similar issue apparently these are two of the things that will strip it, also their own paint stripper which is no longer available in the UK, it’s a shame as it’s decent stuff but very deadly)

S-NJ-W #826551 10/14/20 12:16 pm
H
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
H
I've used caswell with great success.

Before.
https://flic.kr/p/2iwzaRi

After (and not leaking a drop)
https://flic.kr/p/2iwwwgE

1 member likes this: Bob E
S-NJ-W #826557 10/14/20 1:47 pm
S
S-NJ-W Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
S
I ordered the Caswell this morning and will report back on how I get on with it.

Steve.

Last edited by S-NJ-W; 10/14/20 4:39 pm. Reason: spellin
S-NJ-W #826565 10/14/20 4:05 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Another positive vote for Caswell.

Did my B25 tank after the alcohol swill started making the carb slide stick.

The only thing I'd do differently is spend more time rotating the tank to make sure that the upper parts are more thickly covered.

The thin parts just under the cap are just starting to delaminate a bit but I'm sure that's operator error and not the product itself.

keeping the gas below totally full seems to be working for now.

TG

'68 B25 Starfire (single)
'72 A65 Thunderbolt (twin (I'm sensing a pattern here..))
'78 XS750 Triple (Because I just can't get my hands on
a Rocket Three...)
'87 K100GS (four banger (Because NVT gave up too quick..)
1 member likes this: SpeedyV
S-NJ-W #826587 10/14/20 7:25 pm
T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
I used Bill Hirsch sealer in my Hornet tank 15+ years ago, and it failed. Fortunately, ethanol-free gas is now available near me, and it's all I will run in any of my old bikes.

I recently coated my '68 Firebird Scrambler tank with Caswell "Dragon Blood" (it had good reviews) in case I ever do need to use ethanol. I can't comment on it's effectiveness, but I will say that if you use it, thin it as much as the instructions allow. Otherwise it's very thick, and almost impossible to get complete coverage.

Tim Inks
Allan G #826658 10/15/20 9:26 am
B
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
B

Get a broad spectrum VY Globe and expose the inside of the tannk to UV

I’ve got a litre of paint stripper in there at the moment, keep giving it a shake and turning it around. It’s scraping off in the tunnel with a screw driver, I’ve also ordered some MEK (according to another forum where someone’s had a similar issue apparently these are two of the things that will strip it, also their own paint stripper which is no longer available in the UK, it’s a shame as it’s decent stuff but very deadly)

Not if it was applied properly in the first place .
PAint stripper usually does nothing as does brake fluid
Using the POR thinner / stripper takes weeks for it to soften the coating
A couple of days of UV and it chalks off .

Bike Beesa
Trevor
S-NJ-W #826673 10/15/20 3:16 pm
C
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
C
A fellow I know was having fun trying to remove liner from a tank. I took a piece that he had scraped off the tunnel and tested B15 to see if it would work.
It ate about 75% of the liner in 24 hrs, then seemed to slow down. Certainly good enough to clean out the tank, but might take 2 applications. It is nasty stuff so best used outside wearing a respirator and really good gloves.

I didn’t try MEK, because I didn’t have any handy. I did suggest that he give it a try, because shipping the B15 across the border was a bit of a pain in the wallet.

The UV suggestion is interesting and would be a lot more environmentally friendly. I tried searching broad spectrum VY globe and came up with a lot of crap. Is there any particular bulb you would recommend?

For folks on this side of the pond.

https://www.bencosales.com/product/metal-strippers/semi-paste-strippers/b15/

S-NJ-W #826703 10/15/20 6:22 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I wouldn’t waste your time with the MEK, it does work to some extent and has helped soften in some places but some of the hard to reach places are well a bit hard to reach.

Your right trev’ I didn’t do as good a job of the prep as I though it had done but the methods are working... just expensive. The POR Strip (no longer available in the UK) was amazing stuff, the fumes would strip paint. The other stuff I have which is good stuff and better than Nitromoors isn’t as good as the POR Strip. POR recommend air craft grade paint stripper as one of the means of removing it. They may have also said methylene chloride (I think I got mixed up and got the MEK following a video where someone showed the MEK To work.

Howley #826718 10/15/20 8:59 pm
B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
Howley, very nice metal work you did there.

Last edited by Bob E; 10/15/20 9:00 pm.
Cyborg #826719 10/15/20 9:16 pm
B
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
B
Sorry about the VY, it was a fat brain mistake, now corrected
Any UV globe will do and the cheaper the better as the fintering on the cheap globes is poor so you get the whole spectrum
I used a plain old tungsten "blue light" globe.
Left it on for a week then did a mechanical strip.
Did not get all of the old liner out but I guessed that if it had not come out yet it was going to stay.
Did a second linning following all of the instructions to the letter and the tank was fine till the bike got stolen .

Bike Beesa
Trevor
BSA_WM20 #826723 10/15/20 9:22 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
till the bike got stolen .

That’s the time you wish the liner had failed and blocked the fuel line up.

I don’t have a UV lamp sadly but before going out and buying one I am considering heating the tank with the hot air gun. It needs the paint doing anyway so that’s not a problem. (Naturally I’ll make sure the tank is emptied of MEK first otherwise it’ll be fireworks night over West Yorkshire.

S-NJ-W #826731 10/15/20 10:23 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
There's more people having problems with the chemical tank liners than the actual original tank leaks!!!

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership