BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
KWR
KWR
Bentonville, AR
New BritBike book out!
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
97-3633 front seal holder differences.
#826058 10/09/20 4:45 pm
A
Adam M. Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
A
My question is are these holders for BSA and Triumph shuttle forks identical or different?
I have one fitting nicely on one slider with all the inner parts installed, but second one can't be screwed in no matter what.
After more careful research I found inner thread to short to accommodate inner parts ( the height of a collar of a bush + inner ring supporting a seal ) to reach to the threaded part of a slider.

Last edited by Adam M.; 10/09/20 4:46 pm.
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: 97-3633 front seal holder differences.
Adam M. #826079 10/09/20 9:32 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
1. What year/model exactly are you working on Adam ?

2. Are you using a mix match of parts that you collected ?

Obviously these are for 1969 on up parts but we need more details cool

Looking at both of the 1970 Triumph and BSA 650 twins parts catalogs, H3633 (97-3633) is the part number given for the front fork seal holders.

Jon W.

1957 6T Thunderbird 650
1968 T100R Daytona 500
1971 TR6R Tiger 650
1970 BSA A65F 650
1955 Tiger 100 - Project
1971 BSA A65 650 - Project
1972 Norton Commando 750 "Combat"

"Every time I listen to AC/DC, so do my neighbors"

Adam M. #826123 10/10/20 1:17 pm
A
Adam M. Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
A
1. Late 60 ties bitsa.
2 Yes, I'm buying parts from a Canadian mainly Triumph parts seller who have some BSA parts as well, but his parts are really mixed together with some parts from 1 cylinder models added to the mix.

Checking it again I realized the length of the thread doesn't matter a slider top should pass the inner o ring of the cover and reach unthreaded space above it.
In my case it looks it can't pass an o ring and engage a thread of a cover. Have to try it without the o ring. When checked without o rings, bushes and seals everything worked and I didn't have a problem with screwing a holders onto the sliders.

Adam M. #826192 10/11/20 1:41 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I remember having a problem fitting some stainless steel oil seal holders to my 1966 Lightning. They bottomed out on the 68-5134 dished spacer, that retains the top fork bush, before they had screwed all the way home on to the fork leg tubes. I found out that they were actually for an earlier A10 model and they are dimensioned slightly differently to the A65 oil seal holders. Although they did the job it meant that there was a gap between the bottom of the oil seal holder and the shoulder on fork leg tube. I ended up making a couple of stainless steel spacer rings to fill the gap and make it more pleasing aesthetically.

I recently bought another pair of early A10 stainless oil seal holders from Barleycorn and armed with the knowledge gained from my earlier experience I made some modified spacers and also had to modify the oil seals themselves by facing a little of the width of them in the lathe.

This means that they now screw all the way home on the fork leg tube while also doing the internal job of retaining the top fork bush and sealing the fork stanchion.

When you're using pattern parts the important thing is to understand what they are doing and take important measurements to ensure that everything fits and does the job it's designed to do. Sometimes modifications need to be made and I appreciate that isn't alway an option for everyone.

That is why it is always important to do research and measure things. I tend to draw everything up and I have posted an example of the final important measurements on my oil seal holders and fork tube with the modifications done.

This drawing is not exactly as things are as the actual top fork bush sits a little lower inside the fork tube than is shown. This is why the 68-5134 spacer is dished and I have ended up making a new one to match the space in the oil seal holder after the modification to the oil seal itself. I have just shown it as an example of what the oil seal holder is actually doing and why the dimensions are important.

Just for clarity the second image shows what the actual fork leg, top bush and spacer look like in reality

Attached Files Oil Seal Holders.JPGFork Leg.JPG
Last edited by Kevin E; 10/11/20 1:54 pm.
Adam M. #826204 10/11/20 3:23 pm
I
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I
These problems always leave me wondering WHY the manufacturer of the "pattern" parts can't do the research to get them correct, or WHY the sellers of these repros don't really know WHAT they are selling or thire proper applications.

1 member likes this: Kevin E
Irish Swede #826208 10/11/20 3:37 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Irish Swede
These problems always leave me wondering WHY the manufacturer of the "pattern" parts can't do the research to get them correct, or WHY the sellers of these repros don't really know WHAT they are selling or thire proper applications.

Some do, a lot don’t.

That why it’s important to research suppliers too.

I have to recommend Simon at Barleycorn though. When I ordered the A10 oil seal holders from him and paid by bank transfer, I put ‘A65 parts’ as a reference on the transaction. He emailed me the next day to tell me that he had seen the reference and inform me that they would not fit the A65. I thanked him for his email and told him that I knew this already and was going to make the necessary mods to make them fit.

There are plenty of suppliers who would not have spotted this, or even cared if they did. Simon at Barleycorn informed me even though he knew he might lose a sale by doing so. Customer service before profit is a big deal in this day and age and you can’t ask for more.

Adam M. #826239 10/11/20 9:07 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Adam M.
1. Late 60 ties bitsa.
2 Yes, I'm buying parts from a Canadian mainly Triumph parts seller who have some BSA parts as well, but his parts are really mixed together with some parts from 1 cylinder models added to the mix.

Checking it again I realized the length of the thread doesn't matter a slider top should pass the inner o ring of the cover and reach unthreaded space above it.
In my case it looks it can't pass an o ring and engage a thread of a cover. Have to try it without the o ring. When checked without o rings, bushes and seals everything worked and I didn't have a problem with screwing a holders onto the sliders.

Post some pics of what you are working with when you can.

Jon W.

1957 6T Thunderbird 650
1968 T100R Daytona 500
1971 TR6R Tiger 650
1970 BSA A65F 650
1955 Tiger 100 - Project
1971 BSA A65 650 - Project
1972 Norton Commando 750 "Combat"

"Every time I listen to AC/DC, so do my neighbors"

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership