BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Howard Inough
Howard Inough
Kensington, New Hampshire, USA
New BritBike book out!
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Pelle Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
In case someone finds this useful:

I started to install an electronic tachometer (Speedhut) and could not get it working. So I did a voltage test. With ignition on but engine off, my cheapish digital multimeter said 13.6 volts. With the engine running, the multimeter readings were unsteady, around 18 volts. I suppose that could suggest a failing regulator, but in this case the cause was: the spark plug. Switching to a resistor type plug, in my case a NGK BR6ES, the multimeter now showed a steady 14.6 volts with the engine running, and made the tachometer function as intended. And that is how I learned that non-resistor plugs can play tricks with an electronic tachometer and a digital multimeter.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Not using resistor plugs or caps can also play tricks with modern regulators and digital volt meters.

Stepping on others doesn't make you stand tall.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
DOPE
Online Confused
DOPE
no [***].

i had somuch trouble withmy speedhut tach that i gave up.

and i did NOT run resiztor anything.

clearly further testing is indicated

I would rather be ashes than dust
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Been using a speedhut on the 650 race bike since day 1. It was great until I hooked up the dual plug head. The tech at speedhut thought it could be ignition interference so I tried resistor plugs, resistor caps and both plugs and caps but no joy. Open to suggestions.......

R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
...Hi Kevin; remember that magnetos do not like resistor plugs...or is other bike?
I will have that problem with the magneto and the motogadget speedometer that I have but not installed it yet...

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I screwed around with a Speedhut tach for a couple of years. They have a lifetime warranty on the electronics, so I sent it back in twice, but then I got tired of sending it back and gave up. I also engaged in extensive email dialog with the techs at Speedhut.

At first we suspected the problem was low-frequency noise in the power circuit, possibly due to coil "bounce", so I ran dedicated power wires to the battery (via the fuse of course, and a dedicated switch). This did not help, and the gauge crapped out again in short time.

There were some other problems with the bike, a failing battery, a dodgy ignition switch, a worn alternator rotor, and a failing coil, all of which I fixed before my third attempt with the tach. I did not go to resistor plugs or leads, but I did use shielded wire for the pickup.

The gauge worked for a little while and then failed again. My conclusion, or theory at this point is that the gauge cannot tolerate voltage fluctuations. The Speedhut unit is made for automobiles, not motorcycles, and the much larger batteries in automobiles provide a more stable voltage.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Anybody using a digital speedo if so do they suffer similar problems, having a problem with my Smiths magnetic so thinking of replacing it with a digital speedo from www.digital-speedos.co.uk

Cheers Dave

Always remember there are 3 kinds of people in this world,those that can count & those that can't.
T140V 1974
GT750 1974
GT550 1974
TL1000 97s
Pelle Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Mark Z
My conclusion, or theory at this point is that the gauge cannot tolerate voltage fluctuations.

Yes, I think the Speedhut gauge is sensitive to voltage fluctuations but I don't know if it will damage the gauge. In my case the non-resistor spark plug fooled my digital voltmeter (but not my analogue meter!) to register fluctuating and too high voltage, while the actual voltage was spot on and steady. I guess the gauge was confused in the same way.

B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
I have the legendary (speedhut) gauges on my norton and with 20,000 + miles no issues. the first 15,000+ with non resistor wires, plugs and caps. after switching over to a Boyer micro digital I now have resistor caps and wires to stop a kickback issue and still have NO issues with either gauge.

windy
72 combat
if it aint broke fix it till it is
switchbackcreek.com
knuckle head
knuckle head
I had a Speedhut tach on a 70 T120 Cafe job with a small battery, no problems..And on my 96 Ducati and the Buell that Kevn now owns.

79 T140D, 96 900M Ducati ,61 A10 .On a bike you can out run the demons..
“But I don't want to go among mad people,” Alice remarked. “Oh, you can't help that,” said the Cat: “we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.
A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
Its not voltage fluctuations that are the problem, it's electro magnetic interference.
If bikes had radios this conversation wouldn't happen

BSA B31 500 "Stargazer"
Greeves 200 "Blue Meanie"
Greeves 350
Greeves 360
Suzuki GSX1100 EFE "Sorcerers Apprentice"
GM500 sprint/LSR bike "Deofol"
Jawa 500 "Llareggub"
Aprilia RSV Mille "Lo Stregone"
'35 & '36 OK Supreme
Kawasaki ZZR1400 "Kuro no senshi"
Pelle Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Andy Higham
Its not voltage fluctuations that are the problem

Not in my case anyway, as the actual voltage was steady. For all I know, it was EMI that caused the gauge (and my meter) to act up. However, I don't think the Speedhut gauge would perform well with fluctuating voltage.

N
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
N
A 100uf cap in parallel with a 0.1uf across the supply close to the instrument may sort t out.
BUT it pays to use screened pickup leads and resistor plug caps.

I
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I
The most simple solution:

Just get rid of the tach.

Pelle Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Irish Swede
Just get rid of the tach.

Well, I'm glad I didn't

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Moderated by  Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership

BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, | DVD- Manuals & Parts books