BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Magnetoman
Magnetoman
U.S.
New BritBike book out!
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
T
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
T
I'm very close to getting this '69 Thunderbolt on the road. I have read many post by forum members lamenting the quality of control cables currently available. I'm struggling with the throttle cable. The cable length is fine but the sheath is too long. I have tweaked it as much as possible without major surgery. How does one go about properly shortening a cable sheath?

One option I've considered is cutting the barrel of the adjuster to shorten it. Problem with that is I haven't figured how to release the cut off piece.

Please advise.

One interesting feature it the ability to slightly increase idle speed by turning the handlebar to the right. It's quite handy when the engine is cold. Straighten the bars and the idle settles back down. Now .... once the engine is warm the right turn still increases in idle speed and by then is down right annoying.

Thank you

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
DOPE
Online Confused
DOPE
do you have a separate ferrule in the twist grip assembly?

they come in different lengtys and a shorter one might solve the problem

I would rather be ashes than dust
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
You can shorten a cable sheath by fitting a longer inner.
Or shorten the sleeve, much easier said than done, use a dremel with a cut off wheel and pray you dont nick the inner, after that unwind the cut off part trying to save the ferrule , then you have a shorter cable, if it comes out unscathed count yerself lucky.

Much easier to fit a longer inner.
You will need a solder pot, solder, Bakers soldering fluid, and some way of birds nesting the inner.
Push bike shops sell lengths of suitable inner with a nipple that will work for the carb slide end, these come way oversize, cut to your desired length., reuse the old twistgrip nipple after unsoldering it from the old cable to make up the new longer inner.

71 Devimead, John Hill, John Holmes A65 750
56 Norbsa 68 Longstroke A65
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
The poster formerly known as Pod
1 member likes this: Beach
B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
Done it the way Gavin describes many may times.
Gave up on shop bought cables when Omodies closed down in 1994 and have been makigng my own ever since.
Nothing fis beter than he cable you custom made to fit your handlebars.
When I can't be bothered I slip down to ConWire ( google them ) and get Mark to make me a bespoke cable.
Plenty of other cable makers out there

Bike Beesa
Trevor
M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
for throttle cables you usually can use bicycle brake cable. they come with 2 ends made & one usually works. you have to make the other end though. been a while since I played that game though... I keep my stock up through Flanders

http://www.flanderscables.com/

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
To easy if you have a dremel and a steady hand! Just hold the outer cable horizontally in a vice (gently), close to the cutoff point.
carefully grind through just 1 turn of the outer, -Hold the grinder wheel at an angle (It's like a spring so as soon as you've gone through just one turn it'll seperate, you'll find that you don't have to grind all the way through, -because it's very brittle you can go through about 3/4 of the way and then bend to break it. Then you don't risk grinding into the inner cable. You can then carefully grind the sharp end back more or less level.
I always like to mask off the inner cable with masking tape so the grinding 'dust' is excluded.

K
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
K
A small amount of length can be gained by deepening the recess in the bottom of the carburetor slide. Has the effect on shortening the outer. Just make sure you don't drill thru.
Tom

Last edited by koncretekid; 10/05/20 11:50 am.

Life's uncertain - go fast now!
Britbike forum member
Online Happy
Britbike forum member
buy a new cable from a reputable supplier, they aren't expensive. you'd also be riding the bike by now....

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (undergoing restoration)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

1 member likes this: SpeedyV
A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
Originally Posted by Allan G
buy a new cable from a reputable supplier, they aren't expensive. you'd also be riding the bike by now....
Or make your own, then you know it's right

BSA B31 500 "Stargazer"
Greeves 200 "Blue Meanie"
Greeves 350
Greeves 360
Suzuki GSX1100 EFE "Sorcerers Apprentice"
GM500 sprint/LSR bike "Deofol"
Jawa 500 "Llareggub"
Aprilia RSV Mille "Lo Stregone"
'35 & '36 OK Supreme
Kawasaki ZZR1400 "Kuro no senshi"
Britbike forum member
Online Happy
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Andy Higham
Originally Posted by Allan G
Or make your own, then you know it's right

True, I do this with clutch and brake cables, not so much with throttle ones as they are so inexpensive.

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (undergoing restoration)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership

BritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, | DVD- Manuals & Parts books