BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
steve-d
steve-d
Pennsyltucky, USA
New BritBike book out!
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Fuel tank repair assistance sought
#825027 09/27/20 11:12 pm
Mark Z Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I'm posting on behalf of my son who is restoring a '67 Lightning. The fuel tank is leaking at one of the petcocks, and he has determined that the petcock boss has broken away from the tank in one spot, as he can wiggle the petcock slightly.

Is this something that can be fixed? It would seem to require welding on the inside of the tank. Does anyone know of anyone on this side of the ocean who would tackle this sort of repair?

I should mention that the problem was likely caused by rust, which could present another impediment to a successful repair. Overall though, the tank is not exceedingly rusty on the inside.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Fuel tank repair assistance sought
Mark Z #825031 09/27/20 11:41 pm
Mark Z Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
It occurred to me after I posted that the prescribed method of repair might be to cut out a section of the tank around the petcock, repair the boss, and then weld the section back in, which could all be done from the outside. I'm still seeking someone who might be skilled in this sort of repair though.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
Mark Z #825036 09/28/20 12:18 am
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Moyer's Fuel Tank Renu (gastank.com) specializes in this sort of repair. They've done two for me over the years, and do an excellent job.

Lannis

"Why do you wear that thing, Dobby?" "This, sir? 'Tis a mark of the house-elf’s enslavement, sir."
Mark Z #825044 09/28/20 2:49 am
Mark Z Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Thanks Lannis, I'll check them out. I see from the website that the full restoration involves sand-blasting the tank, so there goes the (new) paint, and there's no mention of doing chrome tanks. However, maybe they can just do the repair without wrecking the paint and/or the chrome. I'll inquire into it.

Mark Z

Moderated by  Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership