BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Mike, in Idaho
Mike, in Idaho
orofino Idaho
New BritBike book out!
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
knuckle head
knuckle head
M first bike was a BSA A65....every part was worn out.....I'm starting to put my A10 Super Rocket together in my usual minamilist style...I really like the look of the engine. And the Rocket name, too cool.
Looks like the Triumph speed boys are defecting

79 T140D, 96 900M Ducati ,61 A10 .On a bike you can out run the demons..
“But I don't want to go among mad people,” Alice remarked. “Oh, you can't help that,” said the Cat: “we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
kevin Offline OP
DOPE
OP Offline
DOPE
i am absolutely NOT defecting. i can make triumphs work correctly in my sleep.

but BSAs are an exercise in weird scenes inside the gold mine, if you take my meaning. i cannot figure out how those people thought.

but i still think A10s were beautiful. not the stodgy stock onez.

you need to post pitchers

I would rather be ashes than dust
kevin Offline OP
DOPE
OP Offline
DOPE
Originally Posted by Fullminator
Kevin, we say WHOA out here in Utah a lot too. Your story reminded me of almost two days of cursing, saying whoa, and other things while trying to get a houseboat to run on water. Once I figured it out, it was a magnificent whoa moment.
Don't give up on BSA's. They don't hate you, they just detest pretty much everyone.
Fullminator.

BSAs were designed by demons from hell. i dont know what else to say

knuckle head
knuckle head
Originally Posted by kevin
i am absolutely NOT defecting. i can make triumphs work correctly in my sleep.

but BSAs are an exercise in weird scenes inside the gold mine, if you take my meaning. i cannot figure out how those people thought.

but i still think A10s were beautiful. not the stodgy stock onez.

you need to post pitchers

I will have te bike kinda mocked up in a few days and post photos....Honda CBR600 F3 fork assembly , sporty fenders but uncut frame. And half width drum brakes....and a few engine tricks

“But I don't want to go among mad people,” Alice remarked. “Oh, you can't help that,” said the Cat: “we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
If you have the 1954 on 8" one sided brake it is a damn good brake.
Back in the 60s--road racing in UK with NO money we got two of those brakes and welded them up back to back.
Really good brake! (we were competing with Manx Nortons using fancy Italian brakes --we were using a 1938 500cc BSA Empire Star motor--used to rev it to 8500 rpm!.)
Ah!--memories!

1 member likes this: Allan G
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I have seen this done with the back to back drum, too cool! I prefer the SLS, whether it be the half width hub type or the full width like on the A10 (the half width type looks better). When they work right you can really pull them on, I’ve had the TLS lock before now.. in the wet that kinda thing starts to become expensive.

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (undergoing restoration)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

N
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
N
Fully floating the shoes on the A10 brake was a huge plus but made it a little 'grabby'.

knuckle head
knuckle head
The half width front brake wheel wheel has three fins and supposed to be mid 1960's.....

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
They did a 2 fin version which was fitted to gold stars. They also had a version without any fins which I believe was pre full width drum.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Yes--the one without any fins was introduced in 1954.
It was replaced in 1957(?) by the "Ariel" hubs (full width and look puny).
HTH

kevin Offline OP
DOPE
OP Offline
DOPE
Originally Posted by Fullminator
Kevin, we say WHOA out here in Utah a lot too. Your story reminded me of almost two days of cursing, saying whoa, and other things while trying to get a houseboat to run on water. Once I figured it out, it was a magnificent whoa moment.
Don't give up on BSA's. They don't hate you, they just detest pretty much everyone.
Fullminator.

you know, when my grandfather bought his first car around 1920 or so, he drove it home and decided to park it in the barn out of the weather. the barn had a side shed with doors front and back so you could drive a team in one way and out the other. so he drove the new car in the front doors, except on the way home from town he had forgotten how to make it stop

so at that same speed he continued through the barn and through the closed back doors, shouting whoa all th eway

which didn't help at all, but a hundred years later makes a good story

N
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
N
Whisky has that effect....................................

1 member likes this: gavin eisler
kevin Offline OP
DOPE
OP Offline
DOPE
lol

no he did it all unaided

no alcohol on the chickasaw reservation. you had drive to the river. the saloons were all set out on the sand right across the line at the midriver reservation boundary. when the river changed they dragged them to a better spot with mules.

thats where the cathouses were too, apparently.

just as an azide, at that time and place there waz no such thing as light or social drinking. most people shunned alcohol completely. those who didnt were the ones who collapsed drunk in the gutter. nothing in between, i am told

many yearz later my aged aunt waz distressed when i stopped at a liquor store by the river (still in the "bad" county) to buy a six pack of beer. she waz afraid someone would recognize her car parked there while i was inside

kevin Offline OP
DOPE
OP Offline
DOPE
hot damn the SOB runs.

and idles, too, which is always a good thing.

after making sure the smarfire was installed and wired correctly, i could get it to start and bumble a turn or two, but nothing i did would make it do better than that. so i went over to my 441 (which i also miostly can't start, but for which i have fond delusions) and took off the brand new 930 premier it had on it. same 3-1/2 slide, but a whopping 108 needle jet, instead of the 106 or so the A65 Tbolt is supposed to run.

it won't like that, i thought to myself. and of course it didn't.

but it starts, runs, and idles. as soon as i raise the slide to open up the needle jet circuit, it floods and dies. 108 is just too much for it. but the lesson was that whether or not this old BSA ran on the old Concentric it came with before, it didn't want to anymore. but i want that new premier back on the 441.

so, i can attempt to rejuvenate the old Concentric with a new 106 needle jet and maybe a new slide, or i can put on the 32 mm mikuni i have sitting right on my workbench. MAP sells a 3/4-inch AMAL-two-inch-centers-to-spigot that will let me put the mikuni on, but there is scant room for an air filter between the larger mikuni and the BSA oil tank. so i have a couple of these from my old T120:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

these are 1.25-nches thick, which is about 3/8-inch too thick to fit on a tbolt. but i remember that you used to be able to get really thin pancake filters just like these but with only about half an inch of filter area. i didn't like them because they appeared too restrictive, but they might fit this application just fine.

anybody have one of these lying around? i'll put this up in the garage sale section too.

but the problem is identified on the thunderclone, so we're on the home stretch.

N
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
N
Use the 930 carb, you would be better off sticking the 32 on the b441.

The t'bolt is a pain when trying to do any mods carb wise, you just don't
have any room. I suppose a flat slide may go in there easier than most.

kevin Offline OP
DOPE
OP Offline
DOPE
i could try a flat slide but all my needles and jets and such are for the VM. i think the VM and TM share mains and pilots. needles and maybe needle jets i believe are different

if i can find a thin filter the mikuni will fit, otherwise ill mess around with the 930 until it runs right

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Hi kevin, if it idles Ok on the old carb theres probably not much wrong with it, check the wee holes in the needle jet are not furred up, if the pilots are clear this is the next thing that blocks with sitting. Good to hear its brought back to life.
The 930 will be tricky to tune compared to the stock 928.

71 Devimead, John Hill, John Holmes A65 750
56 Norbsa 68 Longstroke A65
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
The poster formerly known as Pod
kevin Offline OP
DOPE
OP Offline
DOPE
ive got a couple of new 106 needle jets coming from kyle at CBS now, gavin, so well see if that will do it. idles okay although the mixture screw has to go in quite a bit. but it isnt bottomed out.

i think the bigger carb will work out. its not hugely different, and im not hugely picky, either. if this old thing can get out of its own way with me on it ill be quite happy.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Same issue with OIF Triumph. Shortest carb I could find was a PWK. There is a manifold made for it which is shorter than a stock Tri. Then a 90 degree silicone rubber turbo elbow to a proper air filter.
Wasn't sure if I'd like the china carb but it has been a solid performer. Cheap, too.

kevin Offline OP
DOPE
OP Offline
DOPE
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=2KUzDK5_PjM

well, with a worn out-106 in the premier, it seems to have made progress.

now to see whether i can get the premier back off it and still have it run on the old Concentric

Last edited by kevin; 10/07/20 9:37 pm.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Ho Ho, indeed, got a number 3 slide lying around?

71 Devimead, John Hill, John Holmes A65 750
56 Norbsa 68 Longstroke A65
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
The poster formerly known as Pod
kevin Offline OP
DOPE
OP Offline
DOPE
lol

maybe. ill have to look. ive got stuff in my various boxes

sure doesnt like the 3 1/2

kevin Offline OP
DOPE
OP Offline
DOPE
kevin wins the moron prize!

did it all. put a nice working Concentric together. 106 needle, 220 main, second groove, no. 3 slide, filed the slide grooves for the choke where they had dings until it worked okay

started it up, set the idle

all good

rode it out the shop and a hundred yards into the hayfield it died and wouldnt start . zame as before. buhrump buhrump. nada.

i said could that pazon really be messed up after all? could all the carb work have been in vain? could it be sunspots? the curse of 2020?

then i said nah. look in the tank, you stupid git.

and of course, there was still water in the gazoline. i didnt actually dump the tank before, just drained it. so now im off to town for a can of nonethanol fuel to fill this thing with. in the meantime the tank is off and baking in the sun with the cap open.

i shall meditate on humility this evening.

kevin Offline OP
DOPE
OP Offline
DOPE
. . . and everything is fine.

runs like it should.

better than it should, really, considering the moron who is dealing with it,

1 member likes this: gavin eisler
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by kevin
. . . and everything is fine.

runs like it should.

better than it should, really, considering the moron who is dealing with it,

An A65 race bike next?

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership

BritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, | DVD- Manuals & Parts books