BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Pender
Pender
Iowa
New BritBike book out!
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Span adjustable, Ratio Changeable AP Lever
#824014 09/16/20 6:53 pm
D
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
D
Made a pivot piece to adapt a Brembo style lever to the AP master. Makes it span adjustable. By changing the pivot piece the ratio can be changed from the stock 5/8" to about a 14mm master. This shows the 3D printed piece and clutch side lever which is why the adjuster is on the wrong side.
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
I looked at making the stock steel lever ratio adjustable but the eccentric had to be pinned in place and changing the eccentric position changed the pushpin clearance to the piston.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Span adjustable, Ratio Changeable AP Lever
DMadigan #824028 09/16/20 8:41 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Anyway you could design this so it looks less Kawasaki and more 70’s Triumph?

Btw, different note, what’s the difference between the 14mm master cylinder and the original 5/8”? Why would one use the 14mm?

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (undergoing restoration)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

DMadigan #824037 09/16/20 9:59 pm
D
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
D
Do you mean without the dogleg? I could use Hinkley levers but they look more "Kawasaki" than these. If the lever were moved around the housing so not to project above it they will be about 1" longer than the steel lever. If that is preferable I can do that.
14mm over 5/8"? Have you felt a single disc with 5/8" master? It feels as wooden as the drum brake. With this you can change the feel of the brake without changing masters. I use a 5/8" master with two Grimeca 1010 calipers on 11" discs and it is heavier than I would like.

DMadigan #824062 09/17/20 4:48 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Got any suggestions for clutch levers to increase lift on a triple clutch? One which will fit the '71 on perch.
I'm using one made for a CB750. More space between the holes, but it's a dog leg lever which doesn't look quite right.

Stepping on others doesn't make you stand tall.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
DMadigan #824088 09/17/20 3:55 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by DMadigan
Do you mean without the dogleg?

That is the thought but, I can understand if not possible. However, would it not be possible to move the fulcrum for the adjuster on the lever to be more on side of the actuating part (excuse my poor terms for the lever components), and then keep the sweeping triumph design from there instead of the dogleg?

Originally Posted by DMadigan
I could use Hinkley levers but they look more "Kawasaki" than these. If the lever were moved around the housing so not to project above it they will be about 1" longer than the steel lever. If that is preferable I can do that.
14mm over 5/8"? Have you felt a single disc with 5/8" master? It feels as wooden as the drum brake. With this you can change the feel of the brake without changing masters. I use a 5/8" master with two Grimeca 1010 calipers on 11" discs and it is heavier than I would like.

I haven't, I have just fitted a 12" disc on my OIF Project bike, it came with a AP Racing caliper (From Norman Hyde) So I am curious what to expect. The Disc on my Honda 400/4 (1977) always felt pretty wooden and somewhat useless compared to a brake on a modern bike of any type.
The Master Cylinder I will be using on the OIF is a new LF Harris unit. So i'm assuming this is 5/8"???

DMadigan #824106 09/17/20 8:40 pm
D
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
D
The span adjuster and dogleg lever are the Brembo parts. Old British levers do not have adjusters. I would have to either buy levers to get the adjuster and make new levers or make everything which would not be cost effective.
As I said, the lever could be moved around the pivot so it is more in line with the housing but it will be about 1" longer. At the moment, the knee in the dogleg is 50mm from the side of the housing. Moving it to the side will add at least 20mm to that.
I do not know what the Harris master bore is. Presumably they would have the stock 5/8" for the single disc and the 0.7" for the twin disc.

DMadigan #824121 09/18/20 4:12 am
D
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
D
Here is with the lever moved to the side of the housing:
For the clutch side without the throttle housing to take up space the switch cluster will be as far inboard as the throttle side if the lever dogleg to hand position is the same.

DMadigan #824128 09/18/20 6:40 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Looks a lot more aesthetically pleasing David.

DMadigan #824247 09/19/20 11:31 pm
knuckle head
knuckle head
Dave has made a great thing. Stock Levers are horrible and makes the lever feel heavy and mushy...I use Brembo type levers on my T140, even with a 1-1/8 fulcrum the pull feels easier than stock....This might work for the Trident question above. The Brembo type levers are not a direct bolt on like what Dave has...

79 T140D, 96 900M Ducati ,61 A10 .On a bike you can out run the demons..
“But I don't want to go among mad people,” Alice remarked. “Oh, you can't help that,” said the Cat: “we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.
DMadigan #824295 09/20/20 6:20 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I’m not knocking Dave’s work Tony, I know that David will have put a lot of thought into this on every level. I also have a lot of respect for Dave and the kit he produces.

My approach is a saleability view. I think something that looks 60’s/70’s would sell better than something that looks 90’s up. If it could be made to look like the Lockheed/Lucas lever Then I would be very interested.... I think a lot of others would be too.

DMadigan #824335 09/21/20 8:36 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Got any suggestions for clutch levers to increase lift on a triple clutch? One which will fit the '71 on perch.

For 73/74 the Commando got the pivot point moved inboard, so if you keep your hand position on the grip then your fingers get more leverage, not an increase in lift but a lighter lever.

These are the pre and post change perch's

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

RGM do them as they got an original and had a new mould made.

If you added a flat spacer plate below the perch with a slot for the bar and used longer mounting screws this would move the lever outwards gaining extra lift, you would lose the lighter lift but be back where you started effort wise but with extra lift.

DMadigan #824358 09/21/20 3:16 pm
D
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
D
I made two designs for the clutch side, one for the vertical split Lucas switch and one for the lever without switch.
I have to tweek the pivot to cable length on the solo mount. In the #1 position the cable moves about 0.65" and 0.5" in the #4 position. More than needed.
I should add a hole for a mirror mount also.

Moderated by  Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership