BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Howard Inough
Howard Inough
Kensington, New Hampshire, USA
New BritBike book out!
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
D
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
D
Hey all,
So its a slow start, but I bought some side covers for my '67 Lightning.
One used and one reproduction...

The used one is a pretty close fit, and seems nearly identical in size and shape to my original. The stud holes seem to be closer by about 1/8", but I can get it clipped on (if a bit snug).

The repro isn't even close. The entire cover is smaller and the stud hole spacing is about 7/8" tighter.

Hoping I can return the repro. Wondering if an original part is more likely to fit correctly? Or if the left side covers between '65 and '67 are just way different?

Clearly many of you have already successfully figured this out.
Any advice?

Thanks much.
-Dennis

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
There’s a lot of crap on the market. The best ones are from Burton bike bits. They need the holes sizing out to suit the oddie clips so it gives you the chance to position where you like.

I believe the only difference between 65 and 67 is the winged badge recess

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (undergoing restoration)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

D
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
D
Originally Posted by Allan G
There’s a lot of crap on the market. The best ones are from Burton bike bits. They need the holes sizing out to suit the oddie clips so it gives you the chance to position where you like.

I believe the only difference between 65 and 67 is the winged badge recess

Thanks, Allan.
I guess I should have just waited for an original. Somehow there were plenty of right side covers available and zero left side covers, so I just went for the repro.

I
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I
It's a sad lesson to learn about non-factory "repro" parts, but you WILL find an original one. As they are fiberglass, you may have to make some repairs to it.

Other than that, how is your clubman project coming along?

M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
Have you tried adjusting where the bracket sits rather than messing with the sidecover holes? Seems to me if both sides are off, the mounting tabs may be the problem.

D
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
D
Originally Posted by Irish Swede
It's a sad lesson to learn about non-factory "repro" parts, but you WILL find an original one. As they are fiberglass, you may have to make some repairs to it.

Other than that, how is your clubman project coming along?

Been moving quite slow. Trying to get Kreem out of the tank (to reseal before painting) and find side covers to get the painting started. That's basically my first step and its not going quickly.

Might order some bars soon, but also considering rotating my bars down.

A repro seat might also be soon. Any suggestions on where to buy? Or not to buy?

D
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
D
Originally Posted by MarcB
Have you tried adjusting where the bracket sits rather than messing with the sidecover holes? Seems to me if both sides are off, the mounting tabs may be the problem.

I'm pretty sure the mounting tabs are correctly positioned.
The right side is just a hair off. Seems reasonable that two panels could be slightly different.
The left (repro) panel is just nowhere close. No amount of adjusting could make up that difference in the hole spacing. And the panel itself is not even the same size as my original.

I
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I
For the seat: I have a '66 steel seat pan. I plan to have a steel "hump" rolled for it's rear, then have it upholstered with padding where I sit, and a thin layer of
foam to cover the hump, with a custom-made black cover over all of it.

Some may disagree, but BSA's A-65 clubman seat does not appear attractive to me.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
[Linked Image]

Each to his own Irish, I like mine but it took some fettling. New front bracket made so it didn’t sit too far from the frame, added new tabs to the frame so the rear mounts would fit correctly ( they moved backwards in 67 from the earlier position)

The bars I use are norman Hyde M bars. Well made and very comfortable, they are in the higher position but can be dropped lower. I did fit some tomaseli adjustable ace bars But even set as high as possible I was flat out over the tank, also being so low it made it hard to push the bike and to negotiate traffic.

Will you be fitting rear sets too?

I
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I
I WILL be fitting rear sets to this bike. Mine is a long-term project, however.

I have sent Dennis Yurcik copies of all the information I have on them (most of it from this web site) plus some modifications I have drawn up for my own.

As to mods for better fit of parts: I am in agreement. If there is evidence one part is rubbing another, some adjustment is needed.
This can mean modifying the stock bracket, a bit of work with a file, or if the bracket is small (or hidden), making a new, corrected bracket.

D
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
D
Thanks for the extra info, Irish and Allan.

Rearsets are a long ways off right now. Stage two I suppose.

Can anyone confirm their oddie stud whole spacing for the left side cover?
I'm curious what the different years might show '65 thru '68.

L
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
L
I went outside and measured a nice original 66. L side oddies are 7 1/4" apart c to c.

L
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
L
Then I measured a nice original 67, 7 3/8".

D
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
D
Originally Posted by leon bee
Then I measured a nice original 67, 7 3/8".

Thanks, Leon! My '67 also measures 7-3/8" spacing on the left side oddies.

Now we just need someone to confirm the spacing a '65!
Anyone out there?

The place that sold me the repro cover said all these years are different due to different batteries.

R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
I have a 68 with original covers, and a 65 with original covers. By my measurement, I am at 6 7/8” between centers on all 4.

I have a set of early metal dual carb covers, they measure 9 1/4”.

Never underestimate the human ability to elevate stupid to a whole new level!.
L
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
L
I think 68 has a different bracket, I don't have a 68 anymore. And I don't know about 65. I would not have thought 66-68 covers, (Lightning, for example) would be different. Strange.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
68’ on used the same bracket as the thunderbolts (A one piece arrangement and the coils mounted off the top bolt of the rear engine-frame mounts) although the parts book was never corrected for this. The 68 bracket is often seen twisted to align with the side panels, if you straighten it (as I tried) it won’t align with anything.

D
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
D
Originally Posted by Rich B
I have a 68 with original covers, and a 65 with original covers. By my measurement, I am at 6 7/8” between centers on all 4..

That's interesting. I believe my '67 is all original, but I'm not the first owner so it's possible its been modified. However, my bracket is not twisted or deformed and matches Leon's 7-3/8" spacing.

Hope nobody is measuring with Whitworth. ;-)

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Allan G
68’ on used the same bracket as the thunderbolts (A one piece arrangement and the coils mounted off the top bolt of the rear engine-frame mounts) although the parts book was never corrected for this. The 68 bracket is often seen twisted to align with the side panels, if you straighten it (as I tried) it won’t align with anything.

I don't mean to sidetrack/highjack this thread, but I am a little confused and curiosity is getting the better of me. I have a '69 Thunderbolt and my bracket failed, so I ordered another by part number from the book (68-9340) but when it arrived I found that the oddie spacing on the bracket didn't match my cover (original steel) I looked at my old, broken bracket and saw that the vertical portion of the brackets were different. I contacted the vendor and they accepted return of the part and replaced with the correct fitting part.

Sorry to be so long winded, but Allan are you saying that the later Lightning side covers fit using 68-9340 and the parts book still lists 82-8291 incorrectly as the bracket for the Lightning, or something else that I am missing? As I said, curiosity got going.

DJinCA

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
DJ, simply put you could fit Lightning side panels on your thunderbolt (depending on year, I don’t know what’s was used as mounting hardware pre 66 without looking it up) and the only thing you would need to alter is the location of the coils.

Hope this helps.

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership

BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, | DVD- Manuals & Parts books