BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
kommando
kommando
Scotland
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Couple questions about '70 BSA A65 speedo cable
#822262 09/03/20 9:48 pm
C
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
C
Hello... And thanks in advance to anyone that can offer me any advice with my speedo issue

1) My speedo cable came loose at the rear wheel and the inner cable fell out... Can I order just the inner cable? Or do I have to order the entire thing?

2) If I can simply order the inner cable... What exactly is it called?

3) Can someone point me to a reputable vendor that sells them?

4) Would anyone know the part number I need to order?

5) How straight forward is installing a new speedo cable? Can I simply unscrew the old one & screw in a new one?

6) Is there any trick to tightening these cables down? I had taken my bike to a local garage that claimed to work on BSA's... Amongst other things, they worked on both the tach & speedo... And the tach cable already came loose with the same inner part falling out almost immediately after I got it back. I refuse to take my bike back to these guys and would prefer to do it myself if possible (They gave me my bike back with zero oil in it... not a drop! Thinking a "professional" motorcycle garage could give it back to me without any oil wasn't even a scenario I considered & drove it for 2 days before I checked it... So they're off the list)

I'm fairly certain this is a straight forward procedure... I just want to double-check to make sure this is something I can do... Once again, thanks for any assistance anyone can offer me!

Last edited by Chitown guy; 09/03/20 9:51 pm.
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Couple questions about '70 BSA A65 speedo cable
Chitown guy #822283 09/04/20 1:04 am
M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
you can get speedo cable from your local auto parts store. they come in premade lengths. they used to have just the cable for repair as well. it comes with one end made and a fitting for the other. cut to to you length & install the fitting, crimp with a a one time use tool that comes in the package. I also know guys that bought or made the crimp tool to make the square end

1 member likes this: Chitown guy
Chitown guy #822284 09/04/20 1:28 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I use these people exclusively. http://vintagebritishcables.com/Smiths-Motorcycle-Speedo-Tach-Repair-Restore.php If you do an inner cable be very sure on length. That can kill an instrument pronto.

Bill
1974 Norton Commando
1966 Lightning
1965 Lightning Rocket
1966 Norton Atlas
1967 Norton Atlas
1948 Panhead
1 member likes this: Chitown guy
Beach #822296 09/04/20 3:58 am
C
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
C
Thanks for the replies

I'd still like to understand if I can simply screw a new cable in or if there's anything I need to do to connect it to the speedometer. Also is there any trick to tightening them down? They keep coming loose

Thanks again!

Chitown guy #822302 09/04/20 7:09 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Chitown guy
(They gave me my bike back with zero oil in it... not a drop! Thinking a "professional" motorcycle garage could give it back to me without any oil wasn't even a scenario I considered & drove it for 2 days before I checked it...

I’m sorry but something about this part is wrong. You’d be lucky to get 10 miles out of a motor with no oil in it, and you’d hear a problem with the engine before then.

Back to the speedo cable. Align The square section of the cable with the square section of the drive, then screw the nuts down. The hex nut goes to the drive end.

Don’t pin the cable too tightly to the frame along the swing arm as it will damage it, on my Lightning I’ve made a short daisy chain out of zip ties to allow to free movement to the cable, but not enough that it’s dragging on the floor.
Don’t over tighten the nuts, I think the hex size is 5/8 AF from memory but this might vary between cable maker. Don’t overtighten the hex, otherwise you’ll bugger up the speedo drive when you come to unscrew it another time.

Vintage British Cables in Canada make the best cables!!

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (undergoing restoration)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

Chitown guy #822526 09/06/20 6:53 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
So far I've been lucky. I've only had the cable come loose at the instrument end.
The only time it came loose at the drive was when the pressed in fitting on the drive came out.
Anybody know where to get just the worm gear for the speedo drive?

Stepping on others doesn't make you stand tall.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership