BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
SmoothPierre
SmoothPierre
South Lincolnshire, UK
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Clutch actuator clicking
#817068 07/22/20 5:41 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
When I pull the clutch there is a click about halfway coming from the actuator. I have removed and disassembled it. I can see no problem with it. I reassembled it with grease and it still clicks. I cleaned it and used oil and it still clicks. Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? I have not found anyone that has new ones. Anyone know of a vender that stocks new ones or parts. Thanks for any information.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Clutch actuator clicking
RUSS TILLEY #817074 07/22/20 6:30 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I just found a post from 2017 on the clicking problem. I will try to adjust the clutch and se if I can get the clicking to stop.

RUSS TILLEY #817075 07/22/20 6:36 pm
DOPE
DOPE
here

god i will never forget mike when he was a long haired teenager and didn't know jack [***].

that was, what, two geologic eras ago?

every day you do not take a chance is a day of your life that you will never get back.
1 member likes this: Morgan aka Admin
RUSS TILLEY #817076 07/22/20 7:00 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
The clicking comes from one of the lifter balls falling back into the pocket. Generally the lever becomes stiff and need only one finger to hold it at that point. The best fix is a new lifter.
The cable pulls sideways on the lifter and if the central pin does not keep the lift plate square it allows one of the balls to slip back into the pocket. You might be able to fix it by making sure the centre hole is round and fitting a new pin that is a closer fit.

RUSS TILLEY #817082 07/22/20 8:50 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Some of the click problem comes from the repop clutch levers, the fulcrum distance of the originals was less , repops pull the cable further and provoke clicking, the cure is easy,. original levers were 7/8" centre to centre, repops are close to 1 1/8"
Do what the vid says, if it still clicks slacken the clutch cable adjuster a bit more until the click does not happen, mine works with about 1/4 " of cable slack, this has a side benefit ,it brings the lever closer to the bar making it easier on the gripping muscles.
Before I hit on this, I ordered a some new actuator bits to lose the old wear, it made very little difference, the cable slack was the final cure.

71 Devimead, John Hill, John Holmes A65 750
56 Norbsa 68 Longstroke A65
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
The poster formerly known as Pod
RUSS TILLEY #817119 07/23/20 4:21 am
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
So, where can I get the spanner he used to work the lock nut on the adjustment? I usually end up using a socket held by Vicegrips so I can get the screwdriver in there. Not enough room in the hole for the offset ring spanner.
Also, I've heard everything from back it off 1/4 turn to 3/4 turn. Guess it all depends on your particular clutch and cable?

Stepping on others doesn't make you stand tall.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
RUSS TILLEY #817138 07/23/20 10:01 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Its better to be 3/4 turn slack . Thats the WSM spec.

71 Devimead, John Hill, John Holmes A65 750
56 Norbsa 68 Longstroke A65
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
The poster formerly known as Pod
RUSS TILLEY #817228 07/23/20 9:14 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I think some issues come with using different lifting plates. Some have a very coarse thread so 3/4 turn is about half a lever in movement. I think the original items were a fine thread? The BNR clutch I have is a coarse thread, at best it’s a 1/4 turn out and that buys about 8mm of play at the bar lever before the slack is taken up. I can adjust at the bar to increase that if needs be or reduce it, I give myself about 1.5 full turns of the bar adjuster before I start. This is with the early style on the A65

Where possible and most important when using the 3 ball ramp is disconnect the cable. Remove the inspection cover on the timing side for the clutch cable make the adjustment to the rod and with a finger in the inspection hole, screw the clutch plate screw in until you can no longer apply finger movement to the 3 ball ramp, then screw it back off until you can feel just enough play. Then attach the cable and make the adjustment to remove the cable slack, however still retaining about 8mm at the bar as with the other setup.

Having run both clutch setups (albeit with aftermarket clutch lifting plates, SRM and BNR, I find this way works best for me, it’s always been fool proof and never had any clicking with it which often comes by one of two ways.

The balls are over greased and don’t roll cleanly and evenly against the ramp and thus slip. Or you’ve over extended its lift capability, the pressure from the pressure plate causes the ramp to cockle to one side and a ball drops into its start position. Least this is what I have found. Some people have had no issue with greased balls (no pun intended) but I find something like WD40 works best on mine wink

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (undergoing restoration)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

RUSS TILLEY #817248 07/23/20 11:02 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by DavidP
So, where can I get the spanner he used to work the lock nut on the adjustment? I usually end up using a socket held by Vicegrips so I can get the screwdriver in there. Not enough room in the hole for the offset ring spanner.
Also, I've heard everything from back it off 1/4 turn to 3/4 turn. Guess it all depends on your particular clutch and cable?

We used to call those pipe spanners, i've got an old set somewhere, quite handy.
I have a cranked ring spanner that fits the clutch lock nut, it's an old Britool one.

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership