BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Joolstacho
Joolstacho
Australia
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Clutch removal
#816218 07/14/20 9:42 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Been through 20 pages of threads and nothing on clutch removal so here it goes.

I am going through one of those eliminating the cause processes and have got to the point of removing the clutch to replace the back felt washer behind the sliding plate for a neoprene one.

The original issue is oil sprewing (and I mean sprewing) from the bottom of the primary chain case. There has to be 400mls of oil in the case because it houses a wet Pearson Suzuki clutch and a open race bearing connected to the electric start mechanism so requires plenty of oil splashing around. I have run it on half that amount and it still leaks oil. I had the primary case off twice replacing the casing gasket and filling the gaps between the dowels and casing with gasket sealant and gave the drain screw an extra fibre washer.

The previous owner obviously had the same issue so did away with the oil and covered the primary chain with a graphite grease instead and it was no wonder the clutch pads burnt out shortly after I purchased the Goldstar.

so I am going up the primary case and next port of call is the back felt washer.

Looking at the clutch and primary chaincase drawings it looks straight forward to get access to the back felt washer but I could be wrong.

The question is once the clutch and its bearings are removed does the clutch sleeve require extracting in order to remove the sliding plate?

Thanks.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Clutch removal
moto8500 #816227 07/14/20 10:37 pm
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
Hi Moto,
You will need the puller for a BSA/ Triumph 4 spring clutch, on which the Pearson clutch fits
There are / were two different threads used depending on the origin of the shaft adaptor

I made and fitted a lip seal conversion to the primary my BSA Super Rocket and it still pee'ed oil out everywhere
I'm presuming you have the Pearson sliding plate? The pattern steel sliding plates leak badly between the two parts that are riveted together, apply your favourite sealer to the "V" joint

The issue with sealing up the primary is that it builds pressure with the heat from the engine / clutch that forces oil out
The cure (for mine) was to add a breather to the primary case, I have seen some people use a plastic push in fitting from some Japanese bike fitted to a drilled hole high in the rear of the case, I added a length of braided brake line and a banjo fitting to the filler plug
So before stripping down the primary try a loose filler cap (held with a strip of adhesive tape to prevent loss) and take the bike for a run

John

moto8500 #816274 07/15/20 12:29 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Thank you John - I am going to look into the drilling of a breather hole and thanks for the tips about the puller and pattern steel sliding plate as this might be the cause of the excessive amount of oil coming out of the primary chain case.

moto8500 #816344 07/15/20 11:49 pm
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
Hi Moto
Please let us know how you get on?
Soon I will be adding an electric start to my SR and would like to know if more oil in the case would cause problems
New clutch on the menu as well

John

Moderated by  Rich B 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership