BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Graham Ham
Graham Ham
South East England
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Banishing the Prince of Darkness
Tracey Spear #817732 07/28/20 4:34 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Looks as if it’d be appealing to a lot of folk, I personally prefer a good old fashioned pressure gauge, but many prefer a more digital presentation (even if its V’s as colours).
Analogue is hard to beat for immediate recognition.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Tracey Spear #817736 07/28/20 5:12 am
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
I would prefer an analog volt meter which fits the hole. But, as I have no headlights with the ammeter hole, that is academic. Problem there is that an analog voltmeter would always be deeper than a simple ammeter.
I have considered some of the LED voltage indicators. With an OP gauge I have no other use for the idiot light. Something like the late Norton assimilator, but a simple diode circuit.

Stepping on others doesn't make you stand tall.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
Tracey Spear #817780 07/28/20 3:18 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
The colours could be analog, continuously changing with pressure instead of discrete, although a solid or flashing red when below minimum pressure would be best. However, you would have to train your eye for the colours that are important to you.
Bikes without an ammeter hole in the headlamp shell would need an accessory bracket for an analog gauge and would look less stock but if acceptable it can be done.
The stepper motors used in GM vehicles for the gauges are small enough to fit in the ammeter hole.
The advantage of a light over a gauge is that you do not have to look directly at it to notice a change if it is in your peripheral vision.
Unless there is a problem with the charging system, an analog volt meter is not very useful. Just knowing whether the battery is charging or not is important to keep the battery topped up, especially with an electric starter. A gauge can change to alternately display voltage and pressure with a light to show which is being displayed or the gauge could be illuminated with a coloured light showing battery condition.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership