BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Member Spotlight
tridentt150v
tridentt150v
Great Southern Land
New BritBike book out!
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
DavidP Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Why did they make these so long and strong?
Seems to me that being able to open the choke slides completely is more important than keeping them at the bottom for starting. As someone who always trims a couple of coils off these springs just to make the lever stay in place, I ask WHY?

Stepping on others doesn't make you stand tall.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
Shortening coil springs means more effort to compress a given length

BSA B31 500 "Stargazer"
Greeves 200 "Blue Meanie"
Greeves 350
Greeves 360
Suzuki GSX1100 EFE "Sorcerers Apprentice"
GM500 sprint/LSR bike "Deofol"
Jawa 500 "Llareggub"
Aprilia RSV Mille "Lo Stregone"
'35 & '36 OK Supreme
Kawasaki ZZR1400 "Kuro no senshi"
1 member likes this: gavin eisler
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Andy Higham
Shortening coil springs means more effort to compress a given length

Are we all getting a bit bored? I should be outside doing much neglected yard work, but it's too friggin' hot. So I'll bite:

If the spring is already under a bit of tension in the choke slide in its most relaxed position (down), then cutting off a couple of loops would allow the rest of the spring to lengthen a bit, thus reducing the pre-load. In the "up" position, there is less spring spanning the available (fixed) length. This would thus reduce the tension on the spring. Andy, I think you may have meant shortening a coil spring by compression, as in increasing the pre-load on struts.

But this is something I wouldn't mess with; the whole setup is finicky enough as it is. If the spring washer in the choke lever is in good shape and the lever is properly tightened, this should keep the chokes from creeping down.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
DavidP Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Mark Z
But this is something I wouldn't mess with; the whole setup is finicky enough as it is. If the spring washer in the choke lever is in good shape and the lever is properly tightened, this should keep the chokes from creeping down.
Spoken as a man who only needs to keep two chokes open.
Maybe with a little less tension I would be able to replace the single cable without disassembling the whole shebang to get it out of the splitter.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T150V "Wotan"
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Clean the choke lever friction brake, grease is not good for it, once you have a setting that holds the choke open, loctite the centre screw in position.If it still wont work , add more friction, , scuff the rubbing parts with 100 grit paper, rebuild , keep grease off the rubbing parts.
Andy is right, so is Mark, cutting two turn off will reduce the pre load a little, once it starts to move it will behave like a stiffer spring, a spring with more turns is softer than a spring with less turns for a given length and diameter.

71 Devimead, John Hill, John Holmes A65 750
56 Norbsa 68 Longstroke A65
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
The poster formerly known as Pod
DavidP Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Thanks,
I got the cable replaced using a little trick I dreamed up.
Remove the air cleaner. Hold the throttle open and insert a socket into each carb to hold them open. Pull on each short choke cable and push the socket further in to hold them open. That results in enough slack to replace the single choke cable. Then remove the sockets.
Saved having to remove the whole assembly.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T150V "Wotan"
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A lot of new choke levers come with the spring the wrong side of the lever, if yours is constantly trying to close on its own then swap its position. It’ll be fine after that. Worked for me anyway.

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (undergoing restoration)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by DavidP
Spoken as a man who only needs to keep two chokes open.

Oops, forgot you have a triple. Worse yet, I run Mikunis on my A65. But I USED to have chokes!

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
Cutting coils of the springs makes them stiffer but with less preload. Might be a trade off there but never had a problem with the lever holding them up.
Even easier method is to wind down the cable adjusters on the carbs then up each cable up and lock a pair or forceps on each cable. No need to remove the air cleaner and have three same size sockets.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Whats a choke? laughing

DavidP Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Oops, forgot you have a triple. Worse yet, I run Mikunis on my A65. But I USED to have chokes!
I looked at Mikunis from MAP. Less expensive than the Premiers. BUT, then I'd have three separate throttle cables. crazy

I thought of using locking pliers on the cables, Dave. But I only own two roach clips, er hemostats.
The sockets don't need to be all the same size, just big enough to get the job done. I needed the air box off to adjust the choke slides anyway.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T150V "Wotan"
DOPE
DOPE
i have found that stock AMAL throttle cables and twizt grips work fine in mikunis

but for the T150 you will indeed have to use a splitter

barnett can make anything you want but they dont have patterns for everythin so working from an example is best

I would rather be ashes than dust
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by DavidP
I looked at Mikunis from MAP. Less expensive than the Premiers. BUT, then I'd have three separate throttle cables. crazy

I thought of using locking pliers on the cables, Dave. But I only own two roach clips, er hemostats.
The sockets don't need to be all the same size, just big enough to get the job done. I needed the air box off to adjust the choke slides anyway.

Mikunis cheaper than AMAL Premiers, really? Last time I looked, Mikunis were over $200 each; maybe the price has come down.

Ok, now that we've taken the thread in a different direction: If you're seriously considering a carburetor swap, how about some JRC's? Same size and fittings as your AMAL MK1's, and enrichening circuits instead of chokes, like Mikunis.

Mark Z

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I’ve always known mikunis to cost less than AMAL’s, but if they do cost considerably more (it’s about 15 years ago since I bought a set and sold them on) then why not look at the bigger brother version of the Mikuni vm.... the AMAL Concentric mk2

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (undergoing restoration)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

DOPE
DOPE
Originally Posted by Allan G
I’ve always known mikunis to cost less than Amal’s, but if they do cost considerably more (it’s about 15 years ago since I bought a set and sold them on) then why not look at the bigger brother version of the Mikuni vm.... the Amal concentric mk2

niche cycle in america sells 32mm AMAL mk2s for US$245 each.

32mm VM round slide mikunis go for US$112 each

32mm TM flatslide mikunis are US$173 each.

lowbrow customs sells 30mm JRC carbs for US$113

i switched back and forth between 26mm mark 1 Concentrics and 26mm VM mikunis on my T150. the mikunis were much easier to mount and tune (because, mikuni . . .) but i was never satisfied with the enrichener circuit. you have an adjustable choke on the Concentric. th emikunis just have a non-adjustable toggle. you can adjust them with a drill bit, i'm told, but its fussy and if you go too far youve gone too far

DavidP Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Yes, I much prefer the Mk2's I have on the Bonnie. I use a dual twist grip and separate cables for them.
However, one of my big considerations when choosing the Premiers for the Trident was retaining the throttle gantry with only one throttle cable and one idle speed adjuster.
Too bad they don't offer the same set with Mk1.5 carbs, with the enrichment circuit.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T150V "Wotan"
DOPE
DOPE
my mikunis used a three way splitter just like the one on the triplez choke. with a cable adjuster on each cable it worked fine and waz vastly simpler to adjust than the gantry.

with the gantry synchronizing the slides is a disassembly bench job. with the mikunis you just stick a zip tie under each slide and adjust until it wiggles the same in all three

Moderated by  Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
BritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, | DVD- Manuals & Parts books