BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
68triton
68triton
London Uk
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
New Brake Shoes or New Linings?
#814588 06/30/20 7:45 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Online Content
Britbike forum member
Told you i would have a lot of questions.

Need to refresh the rear brakes while apart. What do you all recommend? I know linings are available, allowing me to keep the original shoes, but I am having a tough time finding anyone with a rivet press. I used to have one, but no more, not sure if simply peening them over will be safe. And I don't know the quality on replacement bonded shoes, so wanted ask.

As an additional question, does anyone know the standard bearing number for the brake drum ball bearing? Not the factory part number, but the standard (ie, 203, 202)

Thanks!

1970 Lightning
1968 Thunderbolt
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: New Brake Shoes or New Linings?
ChiefRider #814632 07/01/20 1:53 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
These days we're pretty much stuck with bonded shoes. The bonding is a good thing, a more positive adhesion than rivets IMO. I installed new shoes a year or two ago, and the only ill effect I've noticed is that the linings swell when they get hot, so I have to leave a bit more play in the pedal than I did with the old shoes. Not a problem really, as long as you know to back off the adjuster a turn farther than where you might think it should be.

I don't know the bearing number.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
ChiefRider #815288 07/06/20 8:34 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
CR,

I have let my original brake shoes fixed by bonding decent brake linings on them. So IME, bonding is the way to go.
I am not too fond of crappy aftermarket shoes that don't fit properly.
I had once been supplied with pattern brake shoes sold by MCA. Those were the most poor pattern parts ever.

If you were talking about the wheel bearing in the QD brake drum, my 69 Lightning has a 6204-2RS bearing made by FAG. Any other renowned bearing supplier can supply such bearing as well.

HTH.

Cheers!

Ph.

Best regards
Phil
Duesseldorf/Germany
'62 A 65 Star (disassembled)
'69 A 65 Lightning
'71 A 65 Firebird
'84 Yamaha SR 500
ChiefRider #815357 07/07/20 2:07 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Online Content
Britbike forum member
Thanks Phil. I see you are in Duesseldorf. A good friend of mine is not too far from you, near Wegberg. He is an avid BMW guy.

Anyway, I replaced the open 6205 bearing in the brake drum with a shielded version; the bearings in the QD hub are fine just need to be re-lubed. No problem getting at the brake side bearing, but the speedo drive has been resistant to come off- and yes, I do know it is L.H., just on pretty tight.

I bought aftermarket shoes, but am saving my originals to have them relined when I find a place that will do a good job of it.

1970 Lightning
1968 Thunderbolt
ChiefRider #815367 07/07/20 4:00 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I bought aftermarket shoes, but am saving my originals to have them relined when I find a place that will do a good job of it.

In the UK Villiers Services or Saftek will reline old shoes, the materials they use are very good and if you give them you drum ID and the fitted shoe OD excluding linings they will fit them to suit the drum. No need for brake arcing, no metric linings which are 1/2 worn from the start and no ultra hard linings.

ChiefRider #815379 07/07/20 5:04 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Don't discount old stock shoes or linings. The front brake on my 69 race bike appeared to be practically unused so I didn't change anything. It is a serious brake. My guess is it's loaded with asbestos.

Mike Baker #815387 07/07/20 6:27 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Online Content
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Mike Baker
Don't discount old stock shoes or linings. The front brake on my 69 race bike appeared to be practically unused so I didn't change anything. It is a serious brake. My guess is it's loaded with asbestos.

The TLS front brake has linings that are at least 42 years old- Bike was put up in '78. They appear excellent. I opted to keep them and leave the aftermarket shoes in the box. Not so lucky with the rears,

1970 Lightning
1968 Thunderbolt
ChiefRider #815484 07/08/20 11:21 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Check eBay and the like, that stuff shows up occasionally. Or, someone like Beno Rodi or John Healy may have something stashed away that they would come off of.
Goshen Indiana?

Mike Baker #815493 07/08/20 1:30 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Online Content
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Mike Baker
Goshen Indiana?

No, Goshen, CT. Very small, not even a traffic light!

1970 Lightning
1968 Thunderbolt
ChiefRider #815869 07/11/20 8:41 am
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
Your'e lucky if you can find a firm that will bond old asbestos linings to shoes,
over here it's an unlimited fine to do that. We have to use rivets or send overseas
for decent brake linings. I tried to buy some old stock ones a while ago and was told
that customs would not let them in. 99% of the aftermarket things are crap. I've tried
getting linings done at a couple of firms but they are way to hard and spoil the brakes.
I suppose if you've never had a twin leader set up well you wouldn't know the difference
but blimey, it doesn;t 'arf show when you come to stopping.

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership