BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
GrandPaul
GrandPaul
Leander (Central) Texas, USA
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Lightning won't idle
#814239 06/27/20 11:56 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
This is the first startup of a '67 Lightning after a complete resto and rebuild. Ignition is Pazon, carburetors are brand new 930 AMAL Premiers. We got the bike running long enough to get a strobe on it and get the timing spot-on. Oil is flowing, valves are correctly adjusted.

The problem is, the engine will not idle. Starting requires tickling every time and holding the throttle at least 1/4-1/3 open. The engine dies immediately if you let go of the throttle. We're not seeing any smoke out the exhaust. The strobe light flashes steadily and shows no sign of an electrical miss.

We've removed and disassembled the carbs and we can't find anything wrong. The pilot jets are the type that screw in opposite the air screw, and they are clear. In fact, everything is immaculate, including the fuel banjo screen filters. Throttle slides and jet needles are correctly assembled and the needle clips are in the top notch. Slides are 3.0, needle jets are 106. Air screws are set at 1 1/2 turns out from seated. Throttle slides are sync'ed.

One specific question: That tube that surrounds the needle jet (I forget what you call it), it was pointed out that there are two different types, one for two-stroke engines and one for four-stroke engines, and one type is beveled. I also don't remember which is which, but this one is square (not beveled).

One other thing, In addition to the "3" on the slides, they are also marked "928"; is that a problem?

We're really scratching our heads over this and looking for ideas.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Lightning won't idle
PeterZielenski #814240 06/28/20 12:03 am
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
Sounds like float levels are too low, basically its running out of fuel.
I'd be checking the inlet filters and float levels.

NickL #814249 06/28/20 2:10 am
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by NickL
Sounds like float levels are too low, basically its running out of fuel.
I'd be checking the inlet filters and float levels.

Nick, if the float levels were low, wouldn't that also cause a problem when the throttle is cracked? This one runs better the more throttle you give it.

As I wrote above, everything is brand new and sparkling clean, including the inlet filters.

PeterZielenski #814250 06/28/20 2:36 am
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
Hmm, well the fact that it runs ok at higher throttle points to idle circuits or
low float level as the vibes with a few revs tend to keep the floats moving/fuel
coming in.

The markings are correct and the tubes are the right squared off type.
The needle jets should be 106 and have the small hole through them.

Check for inlet air leaks as well, that may be part of it. Is the balance tube OK?

Last edited by NickL; 06/28/20 2:41 am.
PeterZielenski #814252 06/28/20 2:46 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
With premier carbs I wouldn't be too concerned about two-stroke stuff. Whatever you've got is good.

You say it won't idle but it stays running if you give it throttle? Could be you've got the throttle stop screws too low. What's the lowest you can get the thing to idle, like if you really crank on the idle stop screws?

What's the pilot jet size in it? The size is identified with lines around the tip, with a double line being the "standard" (unless you ordered them with a different configuration).
[Linked Image from cdn.shopify.com]

PeterZielenski #814257 06/28/20 3:20 am
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I did some research since my last post, and found out about the different size pilot jets - MarkB, mine have two stripes, as pictured. I observed that earlier, but I didn't know what it meant. I also confirmed that the spray tube that's squared off (like mine) indicates a four-stroke carb.

We tried setting the throttle stops ridiculously high, to no avail. Nick, I understand your comment about the floats and I'll try to check the levels. If I remember right, the float height is set by moving the shutoff needle seat up or down. Needle jets are 106, will check for hole tomorrow. Manifold balance hose is intact and snug.

I was studying a chart that shows AMAL jetting for various models and years of BSA, and for 1968 Lightning, which is the last year of the screw-in pilot jet, the chart shows a 20 pilot jet and a 2.5 slide cutaway. For 1969-1970, which has the fixed pilot jet, the chart shows a 3.0 slide cutaway. The chart does not address the AMAL Premier carbs.

Tomorrow (or Monday; tomorrow is Sunday) I'll contact Kyle at BCS (from whom I got the carbs) to discuss and possibly order some other size jets.

PeterZielenski #814262 06/28/20 5:18 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Turn the air screws in half a turn.

1978 Bonneville T140E
1974 Trident
1970 BSA Thunderbolt
1971 Norton Commando
1972 Norton Commando
1973 Norton Commando
1974 Norton Commando
2018 Kawasaki Z900RS

Everything will be alright in the end. If its not alright, its not the end.
PeterZielenski #814264 06/28/20 7:53 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
The problem is, the engine will not idle. Starting requires tickling every time and holding the throttle at least 1/4-1/3 open. The engine dies immediately if you let go of the throttle.

That right there says it’s in the idle circuit. Which provides “ background” fuel and air for all of the bigger fuel delivery circuits.

It should start and idle on the pilots alone. Maybe pilot plus needle.

Lack of fuel - float level or fuel feed or pilots letting too much air in. Screw them in as htown says.

I am not a robot.

'51 C11 in a '54 C10L frame. Back on the road...
'70 Triumph Trophy 500. Next on the bench for a refresh!
'72 Triumph Tiger 650. Back on the road...
PeterZielenski #814266 06/28/20 9:15 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Peter,

have you verified the balance line between the inlets is intact and tight?

There are stubs screwed in the head where the rubber hose is pushed on. Unfortunately, the stubs are too short to get any decent jubilee clip on to secure the hose.
If the hose is not properly connected or broken air is sucked in significantly weakening your mixture.
And the bike will start really badly and won't idle either. Take an educated guess how I know...

IME the standard pilot jets #17 are a tad on the lean side for an A65. In the past I have had better results with #19, but it can be made to idle also with #17.

Good luck.

Cheers!

Ph. being no robot either

Last edited by Phil in Germany; 06/28/20 1:08 pm.

Best regards
Phil
Duesseldorf/Germany
'62 A 65 Star (disassembled)
'69 A 65 Lightning
'71 A 65 Firebird
'84 Yamaha SR 500
Phil in Germany #814394 06/29/20 4:02 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Phil in Germany
Peter,

have you verified the balance line between the inlets is intact and tight?

There are stubs screwed in the head where the rubber hose is pushed on. Unfortunately, the stubs are too short to get any decent jubilee clip on to secure the hose.
If the hose is not properly connected or broken air is sucked in significantly weakening your mixture.
And the bike will start really badly and won't idle either. Take an educated guess how I know...

IME the standard pilot jets #17 are a tad on the lean side for an A65. In the past I have had better results with #19, but it can be made to idle also with #17.

Good luck.

Cheers!

Ph. being no robot either

Phil you are totally correct with the need for bigger pilot jets
The original specs were for leaded petrol
Neither leaded nor petrol are available any more.
Now days we have a mix of almost volatile solvents & industrial byproduct liquids called "fuel "
Way too many fail to understand this despite of all of the traffic about tuning changes required for the use of unleaded petrol.
And that was real petrol not the "fuel" we get now days designed to be just good enough for a computer controlled fuel injected engine to run reasonably.
So factory specifcations should be nothing more than a guide to a starting point not abssolte gospel truth.

Last edited by BSA_WM20; 06/29/20 4:05 am.

Bike Beesa
Trevor
PeterZielenski #814397 06/29/20 4:11 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Peter,

Is this full rebuild, including new rings ?
If so you have probably already glazed the bores stuffing around with timing & carb adjustments before the rings have bedded in .
This is a fruitless thing to do because as the rings make proper seals then the carb will need adjustments to compensate for the better sealing

If you have not done so already take the bike for a bedding in run
Lots of wide open throttle , under load and hard downchanging to get maximum cylinder pressure on the rings to get a good seal.

Then & only then you can concentrate on tweaking the timing & the carbs.

Bike Beesa
Trevor
PeterZielenski #814399 06/29/20 4:30 am
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
Whilst i agree fuel now is mostly crap, he should be able to get the thing to run and idle
with the setup he has. Screwing in the mixture screws a turn or so will prove whether the
larger pilots are needed or not..

PeterZielenski #814419 06/29/20 10:50 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
The carb is effectively 2 carbs in one body. You have the idle carburetter and the main carburetter.

If you can get the bike to maintain an idle then the issue isn't with the idle adjustment screw/jet. However it is a issue with slide. Otherwise your pilot circuit isn't set correctly in the first place and your slide is too high whilst trying to set the idle mixture.

The 68 carbs were 2 stroke jettings, they would also have had a different spray tube which comes into effect mostly at the same point of the slide cutaway.

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (undergoing restoration)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

PeterZielenski #814427 06/29/20 2:03 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Are 2 orifices under the slides clean in your new Premiers? They are difficult to spot, and new Amals are known for swarf left in places.

Adam M. #814431 06/29/20 2:42 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Adam M.
and new Amals are known for swarf left in places.

I retail AMAL carbs and check each one, I have heard of stories pre burlen but I check every carb before I send it out and have not yet found one with swarf. However I doubt this would effect anything going on with the welch plug which is where these two pilot circuit jets are, one (motor side of the slide) is for when the throttle slide is down and engine is idling, the one under the slide is during transition from idle to slide cutaway position.

A good spot Adam!

PeterZielenski #814478 06/29/20 8:08 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Hi all, I started this thread on behalf of my son Peter. I was at his house assisting with the Lightning startup, and I did not know my password or have access to my email (which is IPA-based). So I will try to continue the dialog, although I'm back home now, four hours away from the bike.

We took the carbs apart and insured that they were clean throughout, including the small orifices in the bodies. The manifold balance hose is intact and tight.

Trevor, I know it's important to ride the bike as quickly as possible, and I too am worried about glazing the bores, but it's just not running well enough to ride. I mean we had to keep it revved at probably 2500-3000 rpm to keep it running, dangerous to impossible to put in gear and ride. On the positive side, so far there are no leaks or oil smoke.

Allan, it's not that it won't maintain a steady idle; it won't idle at all. That is, as soon as you let go of the throttle, it dies. Restarting requires tickling and holding the throttle open every time.

Idling does require some fuel through the needle jet, and my theory is that the needles need to be moved up (we had them in the lowest position) or they are the wrong needles. If you have to have the needles all the way up just to get the bike to idle, then they are probably the wrong needles. There are no marks on the needles that I could find denoting a size.

But Peter is in consulting with Kyle at CBS today, who has an A65 with AMAL Premiers, so they should be able to suss it out. I promise to get back with results when I hear.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
PeterZielenski #814479 06/29/20 8:32 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by PeterZielenski
Throttle slides and jet needles are correctly assembled and the needle clips are in the top notch.

I've got a 928 Premier I'm about to put on a 69 Thunderbolt. The tuning literature that came with mine recommends the clip be in the middle position. The top position means the needle is lower in the jet and you may be running too lean.

PeterZielenski #814490 06/29/20 9:33 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
The bike should idle using the pilot air / jet circuit, I dont think the needles would stop this function its a wholly separate circuit.
By all means put the needle in the middle notch, at the same time check float level, and try the pilot mix screw one turn out ( thats where my motor likes to start)

71 Devimead, John Hill, John Holmes A65 750
56 Norbsa 68 Longstroke A65
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
The poster formerly known as Pod
gavin eisler #814492 06/29/20 9:52 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by gavin eisler
The bike should idle using the pilot air / jet circuit, I dont think the needles would stop this function its a wholly separate circuit.
By all means put the needle in the middle notch, at the same time check float level, and try the pilot mix screw one turn out ( thats where my motor likes to start)

If you look at the tuning chart in the AMAL Concentric Tuning Guide, you'll see that there is overlap between the idle circuit and the needle/needle jet circuit.

We first started with the needles in the middle position and the air screws 1 1/4 turns out. At my suggestion, we moved the needles down to the top notch and opened the air screws to 1 1/2 turns out. This may have been the wrong way to go, but there wasn't any significant difference in the way the engine ran. Experimentation stopped there in favor of further research.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
PeterZielenski #814495 06/29/20 10:11 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Like Gavin said, the needle position should have no bearing on the idle circuit, so something is definitely wrong there. Float height could be poorly set but I’ve found a new they seem to be either spot on or slightly on the higher (richer) side. I’ve never found need to adjust them.

If everything is clean Ie. you can take the carb tops
Off, remove the pilot air screw and with some propellant (carb cleaner, WD40 etc) and spray it though the hole and get 2x reasonable jets coming up from the carb ( if it’s carb cleaner it should spray higher than the carb body from experience) then the idle circuit is pretty clean, obviously check that pilot jet size. I’ve found some setups (incidentally those with 928’s) seem better with the 17 jets and others seem better with the 19, when I was running 928’s the idle mixture screw was about 2 full turns out if not more, with the 17 it was closer to 1 turn out.

The 2 id ringed needle covered a multitude of jettings, if you want to go leaner then there are 2 more options. The norton 850 needle being one (on the correct carb they would also have different spray tube also) if the slide is down so the straight part of the needle is in the jet and the jet is too lean then it’s a bigger jet you want and not lifting the needle. The needle taper effectiveness is between about 1/2 and 3/4 relative to needle clip position not at low throttle.
You could also get a 0.106” plug gauge and get the bore of the needle jet.

The other thing you can do (and is common with megaphone users) is to solder over the air bleeds on the needle jet. The standard orifice is 0.035” you can open it up to 0.039 (after that it has zero effect) to lean the mixture or solder it up to enrichen the mixture at the point between slide cutaway and needle jet.

However if it’s not idling then it’s still your idle circuit or float setting that is the issue.

Another daft question, and not wanting to cause offence by asking but might have been overlooked.... is the float bowl on the right way around? Seen this many times and the bike will perform exactly as you described it. (banjo fitting towards the rear of the engine)

HTH

PeterZielenski #814496 06/29/20 10:14 pm
DOPE
DOPE
in my opinion, for what it is worth, and if i may be so bold as to say . . .

i don't know jack [***] about amals.

but it sounds to me that you either have no fuel at very low throttle, or no air.

one or the other.

when you had the carbs apart, did you try squirting solvent through the various holes in the venturi with the idle mixture screws out to see whether the manufacturer left them clogged up with swarf? [***] happens.

every day you do not take a chance is a day of your life that you will never get back.
PeterZielenski #814497 06/29/20 10:16 pm
DOPE
DOPE
ddoouubbllee ppoosst

Last edited by kevin; 06/29/20 10:18 pm.

every day you do not take a chance is a day of your life that you will never get back.
PeterZielenski #814522 06/30/20 3:00 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
"I’ve never found need to adjust them. [float level]"

Agreed. I can't believe that a misadjustment there could cause such a severe symptom.

"...remove the pilot air screw and with some propellant (carb cleaner, WD40 etc) and spray it though the hole and get 2x reasonable jets coming up from the carb"

Yeah we didn't do that; we just poked everything we could reach with a wire. Agreed, spraying and blowing should be done.

"The 2 id ringed needle covered a multitude of jettings,..."

I'm not sure if you're alluding to my post here, but the two rings I mentioned are on the pilot jets, and, according to the documentation, that denotes the 17 jet. The jet needles have no markings that I can find.

"...then it’s a bigger jet you want and not lifting the needle".

Agreed again, but if lifting the needles has an effect that would tell us something. The needle jet is 106. What is bigger? The only needle jets I've ever seen used are 106 and 105.

"However if it’s not idling then it’s still your idle circuit or float setting that is the issue."

Ok. Back to cleaning, looking for air leaks, and checking the floats.

"...is the float bowl on the right way around?"

Allan, the way the float bowl is shaped, I don't think it's possible to put it on backwards; i.e., it's not symmetrical. But anyway, the fuel banjos are towards the rear of the bike.

The only other time I've seen an A65 run like this, either a pilot jet was completely clogged, or I forgot to put on the manifold balance hose (not the case now).

Mark Z

PeterZielenski #814525 06/30/20 3:59 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I've put Premiers on 4 bikes. On every one of them the fuel level has been too low. You can make a drain plug u-tube and adjust the fuel level to .21" below the top of the float bowl. Setting the new floats with the front 40 thou below the lip of the bowl doesn't seem to work too well. AMAL link below explains how to do it. I've never tried it with the engine running. You can initially set them on the bench holding bowl in vise like in the third link then checking with a utube on the bike with gas. Note the picture in the last link showing the float slightly proud of the top of the bowl.
Premier pilot jets are identified by the rings near the end of the jets. 2 rings which most come with is a #17, 3 rings is a #19. Some bikes seem to like the 19's better. Going from a 17 to a 19 should equal a half turn in richer on the air screw, but sometimes changing the jet gives a better result.
The jets are removable for cleaning so no wire poking anymore. Needle clip position doesn't matter at idle. The straight part of the needle is in the jet. Only when the tapered part of the needle moves into the jet does the clip position start to matter.
https://www.britishmotorcycleparts.co.nz/amal-premier-pilot-jets
http://amalcarb.co.uk/optimising-mark-1-concentric-fuel-levels
https://gregmarsh.com/MC/afh.pdf

Last edited by htown; 06/30/20 4:02 am.

1978 Bonneville T140E
1974 Trident
1970 BSA Thunderbolt
1971 Norton Commando
1972 Norton Commando
1973 Norton Commando
1974 Norton Commando
2018 Kawasaki Z900RS

Everything will be alright in the end. If its not alright, its not the end.
PeterZielenski #814531 06/30/20 6:40 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Some notes on that last link,

The writer has suggested water for setting the float height, this is a no no, I did this my self some 10+ years ago before I understood densities of fluid. Water has a much higher density than gasoline (to 1dp water is 1.0sg/ml then gasoline is 0.8 or there abouts) therefore the position of the float in the gasoline will sit lower and will sit higher in the water. Therefore when you use your setup with gasoline the fuel height will now be higher still to close the valve.
Worst case scenario it’ll piddle out of the tickler and or work it’s way past the idle jet and just flood the engine which is what was happening to me.

I find the best way is to modify a plug (there used to be some hex plugs on the market which would be best for doing this) and set your float height from the central point of the bowl, this takes into account and incline that the carb may or may not be sat at.

Another thing to note is head pressure, if your adjusting your fluid level off the bike, the same amount in your reservoir lifted higher will continue to lift the seat putting more fuel in the bowl. The best place to adjust it then as at the height the fuel tank will be sat at.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership