BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
KC in S.B.
KC in S.B.
Santa Barbara, California
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
SRM OIL PUMP
#814209 06/27/20 6:04 pm
Ragmanx Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I have a 1968 A65l with a rebuilt engine.

An SRM pump and remote oil filter were installed during the re-build.

My problem is I that the oil pressure runs to high at cruising speed.
Pressure begins to raise and begins to weep from the left side head stud.

I'll bring it to a good mechanic for a pressure check and look a look-see., but he is swamped.
Any ideas on what is causing the problem?

Thank you,
Steve

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: SRM OIL PUMP
Ragmanx #814211 06/27/20 6:26 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
How do you know it runs too high? The leak could happen at normal pressure. If you don't have gauge, try to fit one and check at crusing speed. The op valve would likely be cause of too high pressure. If it doesn't open oil pressure could higher than normal.

Bill
1974 Norton Commando
1966 Lightning
1965 Lightning Rocket
1966 Norton Atlas
1967 Norton Atlas
1948 Panhead
Ragmanx #814212 06/27/20 6:26 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
How do you know it runs too high? The leak could happen at normal pressure. If you don't have gauge, try to fit one and check at crusing speed. The op valve would likely be cause of too high pressure. If it doesn't open oil pressure could higher than normal.

Bill
1974 Norton Commando
1966 Lightning
1965 Lightning Rocket
1966 Norton Atlas
1967 Norton Atlas
1948 Panhead
Ragmanx #814213 06/27/20 6:38 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
your issue is not too high pressure.

More like a poorly sealed head. High oil pressure is good. A65’s were rated to 50psi on the oil pressure release valve, A70s (the 750 version) are higher still. (65 or 75psi)

Oil fed to the cylinder head is on the return side of the pump, whilst the return flow is higher than that of the feed (this is to stop the sump filling with oil) there is little to no restriction so the Pressure is quite low, the return oil feed T’s off with a small pipe going to the head, there’s a split pin in the head which limits the oil going to the rockers. Any excess flow will make its way back to the oil tank.

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (undergoing restoration)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

Allan G #814254 06/28/20 3:06 am
Ragmanx Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Bill and Allen,

You are both correct. My rocker gasket is where the leak is coming from. Thank you.
I have only owned this bike for a few weeks and am in the process of sorting out a few things

The OR told me there were two main wrong things with the bike, that he never figured out.
One was that it starts to miss and backfire when hot and an oil leak somewhere on the top end.
The price was good so I took a leap of faith and bought it.

The miss was difficult to find but it turned out that the Typanium regulater could not handle the upgraded generator. and messed up the Vape system. I rep-laced with a new Podtronics reg. and Vape stator. All is well.

The leak was not high oil pressure, as you pointed out, but the rocker cover gasket. I have one on order.

When I first got the bike, I set the valves and used a new gasket but only used grease on the mating surfaces Now it is leaking as before.

My questions are;

What should I use to seal the cover gasket?

and;

Allen, you mentioned "a slit pin in the head" to limit oil going to the rockers
Do you think perhaps the rockers are getting too much oil and overwhelming the gasket? Is this a difficult adjustment?

Thank you very much,
Steve

Ragmanx #814267 06/28/20 9:56 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I’d written a long post and then it all disappeared.

Well done on finding your ignition issue btw! Those Podtronics units are a good buy, mines been on since 2007 and not given me any issues.

Re the split pin, you’ll know if it’s there when you remove the cover, it’s inserted via the feed side to the head so you will see the legs popped out in front of the rear posts.

The rocker boxes on these were a half assed affair. A great idea which was spoilt by them not addressing the central mountings properly, the covers are easily over tightened because there is a gap underneath the central mounting points, in the least you will want a fibre washer underneath the washers.

Over tightening causes the boxes to spread and deform.

I normally glue some 80 grade emery to a sheet of glass, move it round in a figure of 8 motion and turn the cover a 1/4 turn periodically, this will reduce the chance of the cover being planed unevenly.

Dress all edges ( which will now be sharp) with a needle file and a rose bit for the holes. Nothing too deep, just enough to stop it cutting the gasket. Also remove the studs in the head and check for flatness, if in any doubt lightly dress these with the rose bit also.

An alternative to the gasket is to just use a silicone/RTV sealer, still dress the surfaces as before but a finger smear of sealant does just as good of a job and saves a packet in the long run. This is what I now do and has never leaked since.

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (undergoing restoration)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

Ragmanx #814313 06/28/20 5:42 pm
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
If you are just using sealer on the cover what you can do to keep from distorting the cover is clean the middle posts well with brake cleaner, apply wax to the inside of the cover, mix some JB Weld and apply it around the posts and set the cover down on the head. Take it off and reshape the JB Weld if necessary then put the cover back on until the epoxy sets. You now have a hard surface under the posts so when you seal the cover down it cannot compress more than the thickness of the sealer.

Allan G #814317 06/28/20 6:00 pm
Ragmanx Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Great information! Thank you for taking the time to post it all.

I will carefully prep the cover, as suggested, and be ready to install when the gasket arrives.

As an aside, I just sold a Triumph 500. Great bike but I wanted some more power for cruising. So I picked up this Lightning.

Man this bike boogies. The story continues...….

Learning the BSA will be a journey I look forward to.

Thank you, again for your advise.

Steve

Ragmanx #814336 06/28/20 8:38 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Also, check that the center post acorn nut is not bottoming out before it puts pressure on the cover. Had that happen at the US International rally. The cover kept leaking oil up front all over the engine and my shoe making a big mess until I found the source of the issue. The stud was sticking up too high for the depth of the acorn nut. A thicker washer solved the problem.

1967 BSA Wasp
1967 BSA Hornet (West Coast Model)
1967 BSA Hornet (East Coast Model)
1968 BSA Firebird Scrambler
1968 BSA Spitfire Mark IV
1965 Cyclone Competition Build
Ragmanx #814370 06/28/20 11:27 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
You can just use either a small slice of 1/4 hose or a couple of small o-rings over the studs
before you put the lid on, that stops oil leaks on those two fixings.

I just use 1/4 bsf allen bots rather than the studs with a couple of dowty washers on them.

Ragmanx #814389 06/29/20 2:15 am
Ragmanx Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Gary- after pulling the cover I see that the majority of the oil is leaking under the center front of the cover. there are no acorn nuts on my bike, it's a rebuild, just has nuts and a thin copper washer. It is not running out of thread on the stud. Also created a big mess on a 50 mile ride!

Nick - good idea on the O-rings, picking them up tomorrow.

Allen - As you suggested I can feel a very slight wobble on a sheet of glass will pick up some wet & dry and plane it down a little.
The gasket came right off, didn't tear or peel. I may just clean it up and seal with Permatex Aviation Sealer and let it cure overnight.
What think you?

Thanx guys,
Steve

Ragmanx #814414 06/29/20 8:21 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Ragmanx
Pressure begins to raise and begins to weep from the left side head stud.
Hi Steve. I had a similar problem with my 71 Firebird when I bought it many year ago. I went through the same process you are going through thinking the leak MUST be coming from the rocker box gasket, until I did a leak test using developer from a dye penetrant crack detection kit. It's like a fine powder spray that exposes damp patches. I found out it wasn't leaking from the gasket but seemed to be coming from the rear left hand side head stud as you did. It wasn't a bad leak so I lived with it for for a couple of thousand miles, but I did notice it seemed worse when the bike was put on it's side stand. When I finally got round to taking the head off, it was obvious that it wasn't the left hand head stud that was weeping, the leak had been tracking down the two front head bolt holes which had broken out into the cavity between the two spark plugs and was running to the left side of the head when I put it onto the side stand. Obviously the casting must have been a bit thin there when the holes were drilled at the factory.
Your's may not be like this but just bear in mind it may be a possibility.
Jim
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by Servodyne; 06/30/20 8:06 pm.

1957 BSA A10 Spitfire
1971 BSA A65 Firebird
1971 BSA A70 Lightning
1975 Norton Commando
1961 Norton 99
Servodyne #814569 06/30/20 5:49 pm
Ragmanx Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I reset the valves and installed the cover, using the hints given and take a ride this morning. If the leak persists I'll check for cracks as you have shown above.
Thanx for posted the pics.
Steve

Ragmanx #814642 07/01/20 5:42 am
Ragmanx Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Took it out 40 miles and no more rocker cover leak.

Planed cover on wet/dry sandpaper on plate of glass to make cover completely flat, used O-rings on center studs, used Permatex Aviation gasket sealer on both sides of a new gasket, as suggested. No more leaks!

Thanks guys!!

Steve

1 member likes this: Allan G

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership