BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
68triton
68triton
London Uk
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Clubman resources?
#813637 06/23/20 2:37 am
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Hi all,
I've been searching the old threads for info on Lightning Clubman builds. Really interesting stuff. Wasn't aware of some of the details.
Was wondering if there were any more recent updates/leads on best places to source parts for a Lightning/Clubman conversion? Many of the related posts were already several years old.

Bars:
Seat:
Rear Sets:
Tail Light:
2 into 1 Exhaust:
Side Covers:
Headlamp:

Also, if anyone knows a best match for the clubman gold paint?

Even links to any interesting sites/articles would be appreciated. Its been a while since I've done much reading on the subject.
Cheers!
-Dennis

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Clubman resources?
Dennis Yurcik #813639 06/23/20 4:02 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I CAN HELP WITH REAR SETS, SEND ME A MESSAGE WITH YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS.

I APOLOGIZE FOR THE USE OF CAPS. I CAN ONLY TYPE WITH MY RIGHT HAND SO USING THE SHIFT KEY IS BEYOND MY CAPABILITES.

The Devil is in the details.

1957 BSA A10 Spitfire Scrambler (numbers matching, very correct, very nice condition)
1965 BSA A65 Lightning Rocket "Clubman" (restored)
1966 BSA A65 Spitfire MK-II (restored)
1967 BSA A65 West Coast Hornet (under restoration)
1975 Norton Commando Roadster (2100 miles)
2001 Kawasaki W650
Dennis Yurcik #813645 06/23/20 6:17 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
What bike are you starting with ? A lot of bits will be standard in a 65’ like the rear light but the front forks won’t be. Some bits you’ll need to make yourself, and best of look finding the rear brake, they are often modified C15 ones, the one on mine I searched the globe for.

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (undergoing restoration)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

Dennis Yurcik #813655 06/23/20 10:23 am
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Allan G
What bike are you starting with ? A lot of bits will be standard in a 65’ like the rear light but the front forks won’t be. Some bits you’ll need to make yourself, and best of look finding the rear brake, they are often modified C15 ones, the one on mine I searched the globe for.

Hi Allan,
I'm starting with a '67 Lightning.
Definitely appreciate the note about the rear brake. These are the things you would only learn here I would imagine.

I'm not too concerned with getting it 100% correct (at least not right away). Would just like to get it started. Figuring the bars, tank and side covers would be a good cosmetic starting point.

Speaking of which, is the clubman tank just an A65 tank with a different paint job? Or is there something special about it?

Thanks,
Dennis

Dennis Yurcik #813657 06/23/20 10:45 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
The rear sets are the only thing truly “unique” to a Clubman. I have drawings for the rear sets if you want to make your own. C15, Bantam, 500 Triumph brake pedals can all be used as organ donors for a brake pedal. I found a genuine pedal.

Tank is a home market dual carb tank. Closest match on paint is Nissan Bronze Gold. Somewhere, I have a scan of the recipe.

Fenders, headlight, taiL light fairing, side covers, wheels (19” rear), etc. are all standard 1965 Lightning Rocket bits. The one oddity, the LR had a black headlight bucket, Clubman was chrome. The chrome version is extinct, the LR version is hard to find.

The pipes that are commonly available are likely ok for a bike with no tach, needs some “attention” to make them work with a tach cable.

I found true “Clubman” bars were wrist killers. I use home market bars mounted upside down. Mostly has the look, actually pretty comfortable to ride with.

Unless you are a slave to the look, the front end is quite a bit different from 65 to 67. Biggest thing is length of the stanchions with the droop top yoke with forward bars of 62-65 unit twins versus the flat top yoke of your 67. You have, IMO, the better front end with the damper rods. Unless you have to have the look of the early front end, I wouldn’t change front ends.

A number of people sell the seat. They even show up now and then on fleaBay.

Never underestimate the human ability to elevate stupid to a whole new level!.
Dennis Yurcik #813663 06/23/20 12:27 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
To add to Rich's comments...

The original seats look bigger compared to the Burton Bike bits version, it also isn't a straight fit for 67' on bikes. In 67 the seat tabs moved further back, also the front hook thats supplied with the seat shoves the seat so far forward that I made my own bracket for mine, one which pulled the seat closer to the tank and much lower to the frame, I also welded on some seat tabs just for it.

Lyford classics sell some rear sets for the goldstar, most of the parts are usable apart from the hex piece which holds the footrests to the brackets. If you have a lathe I would suggest making these yourself, I sourced some originals but now i know what I'm dealing with they are simply some hex with either end threaded.

Silencers seem harder to come by, Classic Bike shop had some made and they were a good shape... Sadly I think they got Brituro to supply them and they have now ceased trading (leaving a big gap in the market)

Down pipes are easy enough to find, but a decent set are not. I made the set which are on my bike now and have an original set. The originals are different to standard Lightning siamese pipes, they are longer (for the shorter silencer) and kick up at the back. The originals don't have the tie bar although I think its a good addition. The flow on the pattern ones are terrible, the add on section aims the gasses mid stream with the right hand side, the originals tapered this over several inches.

If you want to be picky the Clubman tanks hinged differently to the Lightning ones, some open to centre and If I remember right some open to the 1 o'clock position. I have both types but cannot remember which is which. They are otherwise identical.

Re front forks: you could keep your front end but change the yokes, stanchions (and headlight brackets), to retain the damper rods you would simply extend the thread on the top of the rod then cut off the excess (ie if the drop yoke stanchion is an inch shorter, chop an inch off the damper rod) it'd make for a good front end.

Bars: I fitted Norman Hyde M bars (cost more than standard eBay items but much thicker wall and wont crush, they also dont bend up and bust the tank if you come off), they are about the closest shape you'd get to the A10 bars, you can fit these the right way up or upside down. I fitted mine the right way up and I find that comfortable. I tried Tomaselli Ace Bars, fine on the straights, made it a little harder to shift your weight through the bends and a pig to move the bike around the garage. BTW I still have the original 68 front end on mine.

Dennis Yurcik #813683 06/23/20 3:51 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Rich B. and Allan G. have given you excellent advice.

If you go back to Britbike columns in July, 2014 you should find Allan's photos of some parts he made for his own conversion.

Rich B. provided Markoz plans to duplicate Lightning Clubman rear-sets on February 4, 2010 (see entry of 2/10/2010).

The late C15 / B40 rear brake pedal makes a good choice, as it curves low enough to clear the rear-set footrests, and looks good, too.

Find a BSA Bantam gear change lever. Mounted backwards it will work with the rear-sets.

I have been working on just such a project (off-and-on) for a few years, beginning with an incomplete '66 Lightning.

Dennis Yurcik #813712 06/23/20 7:55 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Rich B, Allan G, I.Swede,
Thanks for all the advice and insight to what works and what doesn't.

I'm definitely not going for accuracy at this point. I had to repair the tank (which will require new paint). My bike was black like a T-bolt, and I thought of going to the correct, red color first, but then I thought Clubman gold is pretty sweet.

Over time I'd like to chip away at the other details as money and inspiration allow.

Irish Swede, what did you mean by "Britbike Columns"? I wasn't able to locate Allan's photos.

Thanks again to all.
Cheers,
Dennis

Dennis Yurcik #813714 06/23/20 8:20 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Guessing it was an autocorrect of forums to columns, makes sense only if you are in Rome wink .

Dennis Yurcik #813723 06/23/20 9:31 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Dennis, I’ve gone through about 5 years of pics from what I took of my bike build, it is t particularly conclusive and for more detail I’d have to take the odd part off and take some more photos. There’s about 30 something pics so far so will up load them when I get a spare 30 mins

Dennis Yurcik #813730 06/23/20 9:56 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I have two rearset kits left from the last batch, one set for the clubman and one set for the twin pipe spitfire.

Ken Rowark

Allan G #813742 06/23/20 11:46 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Dennis, I’ve gone through about 5 years of pics from what I took of my bike build, it is t particularly conclusive and for more detail I’d have to take the odd part off and take some more photos. There’s about 30 something pics so far so will up load them when I get a spare 30 mins

Hey Allan,
That sounds great. I'm patient. Whenever they are there I'll check them out.
-D

Dennis Yurcik #813752 06/24/20 12:45 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by kommando
Guessing it was an autocorrect of forums to columns, makes sense only if you are in Rome wink .

Gotta love those autocorrections!

Some Clubman replicas are not as exact as others, but still pleasing to my eye.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

1969ish, seat, bars, exhaust from Britishcycle, rear sets just standard pivoting foot rests turned 180 degrees, highly modified single carb tank modified to take dual carbs, etc. I can supply more details if you're interested.

Tom

Life's uncertain - go fast now!
Rich B #813785 06/24/20 8:17 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
The drop yoke and ace bars were not good for me, l experimented with various types,Norton commando were ok, but l tried standard lightning and found the setup extremely comfortable.
Ken

koncretekid #813789 06/24/20 10:22 am
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by koncretekid
1969ish, seat, bars, exhaust from Britishcycle, rear sets just standard pivoting foot rests turned 180 degrees, highly modified single carb tank modified to take dual carbs, etc. I can supply more details if you're interested.

Tom

Hey Tom,
Still looks great to me. Thanks for the pics.
I'm starting to recognize some of the differences as more details are pointed out. But my conversion will likely incorporate similar changes to yours so I'm definitely interested in more details. I can PM you on the side.
-D

Ken Rowark #813790 06/24/20 10:27 am
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Ken Rowark
The drop yoke and ace bars were not good for me, l experimented with various types,Norton commando were ok, but l tried standard lightning and found the setup extremely comfortable.
Ken

Seems like the clubman bars are point of contention (comfort-wise) for many. Good to know my own bars flipped might be a decent fix. I'm definitely not changing the yoke in the first phase of this. That can happen down the line (if ever).
-D

Dennis Yurcik #813799 06/24/20 12:04 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I have been going through the old Britbike listings. I can understand why you had problems finding the information I mentioned because i couldn't locate some of it myself.

I will send you a private message about this.

Dennis Yurcik #813802 06/24/20 12:13 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Dennis, I am getting a message that your private message mailbox is not available.

Please send me a private message so I can reach you.

Irish Swede #813813 06/24/20 1:51 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Irish Swede
Dennis, I am getting a message that your private message mailbox is not available.
Please send me a private message so I can reach you.

I just tried to PM you, but got this error message:
"Irish Swede is over their Private Topic limit."

I didn't realize there was a limit.

Dennis Yurcik #813846 06/24/20 7:58 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I’ve attached a link to the thread which Irish mentioned, I think there’s more pics on here than on my phone. But I can take more if you require anything specific.

Apologies the thread bounces from one topic to another, it was how the rebuild was going at the time as to what was shown next.

Lightning Restoration

Dennis Yurcik #813847 06/24/20 7:59 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Just a quick add, it might be of interest but I believe the Small few produced Lightning clubmans that were produced were in red. Just a thought.

Dennis Yurcik #813861 06/24/20 10:16 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
According to Roy Bacon,1965 L and LC were the same as the 65 A50 C, Side covers( smaller than previous years) metallic gold with red lining, same for petrol tank with chrome panels,tank Badges as 62 A50 ( pear shape), Chrome headlamp shell, fork lamp ears, mudguards , wheel rims, exhaust and brake backplates, Black frame , fork legs and hubs.

1964 A65 R , Flamboyant Red , chrome mudguards and fork shrouds,

Possibly 64 bits used of on the 65 , who knows.

71 Devimead, John Hill, John Holmes A65 750
56 Norbsa 68 Longstroke A65
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
The poster formerly known as Pod
Dennis Yurcik #813873 06/25/20 12:26 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Dennis:

I guess we're screwed again.

I will find a way, anyway.

Allan G #813887 06/25/20 2:49 am
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I’ve attached a link to the thread which Irish mentioned, I think there’s more pics on here than on my phone. But I can take more if you require anything specific.

Apologies the thread bounces from one topic to another, it was how the rebuild was going at the time as to what was shown next.

Lightning Restoration

Wow, there is a lot happening over that thread. Looks like I'll be reading for while.
Thanks for the link.

Irish Swede #813889 06/25/20 2:57 am
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by gavin eisler
According to Roy Bacon,1965 L and LC were the same as the 65 A50 C, Side covers( smaller than previous years) metallic gold with red lining, same for petrol tank with chrome panels,tank Badges as 62 A50 ( pear shape), Chrome headlamp shell, fork lamp ears, mudguards , wheel rims, exhaust and brake backplates, Black frame , fork legs and hubs.

1964 A65 R , Flamboyant Red , chrome mudguards and fork shrouds,

Possibly 64 bits used of on the 65 , who knows.

Thanks for that info, Gavin. I never bought any of Roy's books. Do you recommend any in particular?

Originally Posted by Irish Swede
Dennis: I guess we're screwed again. I will find a way, anyway.
I don't know how risky it is to post an email address here, but I could PM mine to someone else who has your email address already, and have them forward to you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership