BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
ShearedCrank
ShearedCrank
New York
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Primary Chain tension
#813540 06/22/20 11:01 am
BigBars Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Hi Folks,

The manual states "The correct chain adjustment is 1/2- in (12 mm) free movement."

Is that 12 mm, just pulled in one direction from rest , or "total free movement" as in pushed up and down from rest.

Thought a search would throw this out immediately but after 5 pages I got lazy ;-)

thanks

BMF

3D TV: A format that lost a format war without even having an opponent.
Bikes: '69 T120 on average (1967 rolling frame and 1971 Bonnie engine) + '56 1/2 T110 on average (58 rolling frame - with 55 iron head engine) + 74 T150 Home model.
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Primary Chain tension
BigBars #813542 06/22/20 11:50 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Put tension on the kickstarter and feel the tension. I always tended to have my primary chain just slightly on the loose side, if you tension it tighter it just wears out quicker. But I have a belt these days.

BigBars #813556 06/22/20 2:08 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Total movement. I am not a robot.

BigBars #813560 06/22/20 2:31 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
You need to rotate the chain around and find the tightest spot then adjust it there using the kicklever to load the bottom of the run.
Haynes gives 3/8" for post '71 and 1/2" for early Tridents. The early R3 manual gives 3/16". I adjust it so the edge of the side plate comes up to the centre of the pins when lifted at its tightest point.
Renold Chain gives total movement for horizontal drives as C/50 for shock drives where C is the distance between shafts in millimeters which is 202mm for a triple. So 4mmm total movement.

Moderated by  Tridentman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership