BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
GrandPaul
GrandPaul
Leander (Central) Texas, USA
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
So how do you reinstall the air filter again?
#813223 06/19/20 11:19 pm
BigBars Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I've searched the forums and google but no avail.

This evening I tried to start to refit the parts to get the bike running.

How on earth do you get the air filter element back in the housing?

The element drops down and then the front and back plates can never meet.

I'm thinking of a spray of contact adhesive to glue the element to the front plate (which is attached to the carbs) and then to install the surrounding bracket and the rear plate?

What am I missing here?

Thanks

BMF

3D TV: A format that lost a format war without even having an opponent.
Bikes: '69 T120 on average (1967 rolling frame and 1971 Bonnie engine) + '56 1/2 T110 on average (58 rolling frame - with 55 iron head engine) + 74 T150 Home model.
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: So how do you reinstall the air filter again?
BigBars #813239 06/20/20 4:19 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Lay the back of the housing on the table, center the filter element on that, lay the front of the housing atop the element, and wrap the outside around the whole thing.
Replacing the filter element with the housing on the bike is not recommended.

Stepping on others doesn't make you stand tall.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
BigBars #813244 06/20/20 4:58 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Its a fiddly job but can be done.
Assuming sidecovers are off and the front backing plate is in place and bolted in.....I push the surround through and then over the front backing plate so that it sits up forward over the plate until the surround hits the carbies.
I then slide the air filter element in place, it is usually happy to sit over the rubber grommets and the inlets.
I always have the clamp bolt for the clasp/clamp screwed out as far as I can, ready and within easy reach.
I then slide the back backing plate in and then while pressing the two backing plates together and sandwiching the air filter element I bring the surround back and into position over the two plates. I keep pressing the plates together and get the outer lip of the surround over them.
Then while holding all this together, I grab the clamp and push it into the holes I want to use and begin tightening it up.
As I incrementally tighten I push on the two backing plates and make sure they are inside the outer lip of the backing plate, sometimes you have to back the clamp off a turn to help 'pop' the plates under this lip. Continue tightening the clamp and pressing the 'sandwich' together. Done!!!

I find that laying chest down on the bike seat in line with the bike is best for the last bit.

Then sit back and admire the marvels of modern engineering smile

Also be thankful its all metal, I had a '98 Thunderbird Sport and it had a plastic airbox that basically cracked, fractured, and fell apart inside 40,000km.

Last edited by tridentt150v; 06/20/20 5:00 am.
BigBars #813245 06/20/20 5:41 am
BigBars Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Thanks a million guys, both great ideas.

I didn't think that there was space to fit the already assembled a filter in and that it had to be done in pieces.

I'll give both approaches a try.

Bikes: '69 T120 on average (1967 rolling frame and 1971 Bonnie engine) + '56 1/2 T110 on average (58 rolling frame - with 55 iron head engine) + 74 T150 Home model.
BigBars #813269 06/20/20 12:30 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I have never tried to assemble the air filter on the carbs. I remove and replace it as an assembly. I can have it off or on in less than 2 minutes. There is enough room if you have the right carb rubber mounts. I do have a set of mounts that has a larger outside diameter. They will not fit past the mounting nuts for the manifolds. I discovered this when I attempted to use them on a Trident. Use of these will move the entire carb assembly rearward and not allow room for the air filter. These hoses that I have have a yellow stripe and the lettering ground off. I suspect that they are made by Parker in the US. The Rocket 3 has more room behind the air filter and may be able to use these larger OD hoses.
I am not a robot.

BigBars #813274 06/20/20 2:23 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I normally assemble the air filter on the bike.
As tridentt150v says it is a bit fiddly but definitely doable.
If you practice assiduously then after doing it a dozen times in a week you get quite good at it! (with Brit bikes comes Brit humor!).

1 member likes this: tridentt150v
BigBars #813310 06/20/20 8:14 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Wood working spring clamps can be used to hold the filter and ends together whilst installing the band.

BigBars #813353 06/21/20 1:07 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Like these:

https://www.eBay.com.au/itm/4Inch-Ratchet-Release-Speed-Squeeze-Wood-Bar-Clamp-Spreader-Tool-WoodworkingKSE/133392776742?hash=item1f0ed43e26:g:x0MAAOSw5cNYKRj4

I never thought of using them...and I have a couple of small ones...great idea DM

BigBars #813605 06/22/20 9:06 pm
BigBars Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Thought I'd try Tridentmans method before removing the front plate I'd already screwed on, Got it in in 5 minutes using this method WOO-HOO. The trick really is pulling the side cover over to the carbs...

CHEERS.

Moderated by  Tridentman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership