BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Joolstacho
Joolstacho
Australia
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Lower shock stud (swing arm)
#812671 06/15/20 5:15 pm
Bigtwin Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Greetings, all!
Currently working on a 68 Interceptor suffering from more than a few previous owner "Bodges"... Looks like they used a pipe wrench to attempt removing a lower shock stud with no success! Any idea as to how the factory installed these studs? Evidently, simply unscrewing the stud and replacing it did not prove so easy! Just curious as to the factory construction techniques... Looks like cutting off the "nub" , drilling and re-threading is in order. Ideas/experiences to share?

REgards!

Bigtwin

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Lower shock stud (swing arm)
Bigtwin #812803 06/16/20 2:11 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Looking at a machine of similar vintage.... from what I can see, it appears the stud was screwed (or possibly pressed?) into a boss, then plug welded on the backside.
I think you're only option is what you've already surmised...drilling out and re-tapping.
Hopefully, you can do the job with the swing arm removed form the frame.
Good luck !

Last edited by oilyamerican; 06/16/20 2:12 pm.

Will work for Guinness smile
Bigtwin #812958 06/17/20 9:13 pm
Bigtwin Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Hi, thanks for the observation!
After stripping off the many layers of paint, I can now see that ( as you said) it was indeed plug welded from the back side... and I also think it was perhaps pressed in to place. Mass production techniques maybe? I'm confident they made up quantities of various frame bits before sending them to the frame builders. I imagine that stud must have been made of stronger tensile steel than the usual Grade 5 studs found elsewhere on the machine. I don't recall ever seeing a "sagging " lower stud. Now I have to consider just what material to use for the replacement stud. A grade 8 stud certainly has more tensile strength than typical fasteners, but I question it's resistance to bending and pounding by the shock. I'm probably over-thinking this application as this certainly is not subject to the abuse of an off road machine.

REgards!

Bigtwin

Bigtwin #813065 06/18/20 5:31 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Hi Bigtwin,
You said it, I didn't !
Don't over think the application.
A grade 5 stud might be questionable, but a grade 8 should be adequate.. keep in mind, metallurgy then, wasn't what it is today..
And if you're planning on reconstructing as per the original fabrication, i.e. welding it in.... then you must be aware that not all steels will weld agreeably.
High carbon or alloy steels have been known to create headaches when welded .
If it was me, I'd just thread it in and use Loctite threadlocker and be done with it.
Then slop enough paint on the backside and nobody will be the wiser !

Will work for Guinness smile

Moderated by  royaloilfield 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership