BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Member Spotlight
Beach
Beach
West Virginia, United States
New BritBike book out!
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Mark Z Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by triton thrasher
Is your ignition suppressed?

No, but the speedo has dedicated power wiring directly to the battery (via the main fuse and its own power switch), and none of the wiring is near the HT circuit. I know, that doesn't guarantee no RF noise, but I'll try to address antenna and antenna wire location first.

FWIW, I don't get cell phone reception at my house. OTOH, the Garmin GPS unit I have for my car (truck) seems to get reception everywhere, and that doesn't even have an external antenna. (However, for all I know, the Garmin may make use of the automobile's wiring or body.)

Tom, please let us know how your speedo tests!

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Mobile phones use ground based antennas vs GPS Satellites. As I mentioned previously I have experienced poor reception with my speedo on heavily overcast days.

Rob C

Mark Z Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by robcurrie
Mobile phones use ground based antennas vs GPS Satellites. Rob C

Doh! I knew that, but forgot.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
K
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
K
Love to, Mark, but the B44 is not yet titled or registered because the DMV is shut down and I can't complete my application for "reconstructed vehicle".

Life's uncertain - go fast now!
Mark Z Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by koncretekid
Love to, Mark, but the B44 is not yet titled or registered because the DMV is shut down and I can't complete my application for "reconstructed vehicle".

Ok, whenever; I'm in no hurry either. Right now I have lawn tractor issues (the shop can't seem to get me the right flippin' drive belt) and an acre of out-of-control lawn that I'm trying to contain with a 20-inch rotary "pusher".

Mark Z

Q
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Q
Originally Posted by Mark Z
Originally Posted by robcurrie
Mobile phones use ground based antennas vs GPS Satellites. Rob C

Doh! I knew that, but forgot.

used the GPS chip on a smartphone just yesterday ... for fun . ( the phone has no sim-card to receive cellular service)
while flying from maui to the mainland .
Definitely not any cell towers in the area .
Your smartphone has a GPS chip ... different functions determine
Whether real GPS is used ... or assisted GPS ( cell towers )

Satellite reception on one GPS app. ... averaged 11 satellites locked in .
39,000 ft and 539 mph .

a separate GPS "compass program" locked on to 8 to 15 satellites at any one time .

I use the pure GPS function often... when mountain biking in the woods ... well out past cell reception .
works great as a bicycle speedometer ... and helps me get home on the those occasions when I get lost .

Mark Z Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Sometimes I think I may be the only one left on the planet with a "dumb phone" (one of the reasons I dismissed the phone app solution in favor of the dedicated speedometer). So the comparison with MY cell phone reception is still unfounded.

But the comparison with YOUR cell phone is interesting, if it gets reception "mountain biking in the woods". And I assume there is no external antenna.

So the investigation at hand is still, what kind of reception I should expect from this device, given optimum antenna mounting and wire routing. It occurred to me that if it proves to be intermittent at best, the odometer function will be virtually useless.

Mark Z

Mark Z Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
So now I mounted the antenna on a plastic bracket attached to the windshield. Reception is still spotty. I can't imagine a better location for the antenna, but I haven't yet uncoiled he antenna wire. That will be my next and possibly last test.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Mark Z

Mark Z Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I finally got satisfactory results this evening - it was the coiled up antenna wire. I had first moved the antenna a couple of times, finally to a plastic bracket off the windshield, to no avail. But for this last test, I uncoiled the antenna wire and ran it back, doubled, under the tank and along the frame all the way back to the luggage rack. Now I get reception everywhere, even in my back yard, and there were no signal interruptions during today's test run.

I'm ready now to cut the extra studs off the back of the speedometer, paint it and my bracket black, and pretty-up the wiring. Oh, and wire the speedometer backlighting. I didn't do that because I don't want the complication of going through the lighting switch; however, I don't see the problem of having the gauge lit whenever it's on (it has its own switch); that is, I doubt that the backlighting draws more than a couple hundred milliamps. And, in NYS, the headlight must be on at all times, so the gauge would always be lit anyway.

Mark Z

Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
When I first took delivery of a GPS speedo like that, I was doubtful that it would really work, so I connected it to a battery and ran across the garden with it.

On the bike, it used to “crash” and return to zero mph, until I fitted a suppressor spark plug cap.

Then recently it started the crashing to zero again. Turns out the HT side of the ignition coil was failing, going open circuit. In about 70 miles, the bike went from an occasional misfire, to crazy spluttering and banging.

You’re right the illumination draws very little current. Mine comes on with the ignition.

Amateur Loctite enthusiast.
M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
On the bike, it used to “crash” and return to zero mph, until I fitted a suppressor spark plug cap.

Then recently it started the crashing to zero again. Turns out the HT side of the ignition coil was failing, going open circuit. In about 70 miles, the bike went from an occasional misfire, to crazy spluttering and banging.
Interesting. It could almost serve as a crude onboard diagnostic smile

Mark Z Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
When I first took delivery of a GPS speedo like that, I was doubtful that it would really work, so I connected it to a battery and ran across the garden with it.

You’re right the illumination draws very little current. Mine comes on with the ignition.

You didn't say how the foot race trial went. How fast did you run?

When my speedo went to zero in previous tests, I assumed it was because it lost reception. In those cases, I think it resumed after turning it off and back on. (I say "I think" because it's hard to constantly observe the gauge AND drive!) I'll continue to observe and see if I might need to try suppressor caps.

One other weird thing happened: The odometer reset itself to 0 after reaching somewhere around 68-70 miles.

Mark Z

Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
I ran fast enough, far enough to make the needle move and probably to confirm the neighbours’ opinions on my state of mind.

I actually have a switch on the handlebar for switching power to the speedo off and on again when it misbehaves. It’s still less trouble than trying to keep an original speedo and its drive working.

Amateur Loctite enthusiast.
Mark Z Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I actually have a switch on the handlebar for switching power to the speedo off and on again when it misbehaves. It’s still less trouble than trying to keep an original speedo and its drive working.

Yes, I put a little push on/push off switch on the mounting bracket. (You can see it in the above photo, to the right of the gauge.) Correct, beats the tar out of a mechanical gauge.

I took a 55-mile ride today, and at no time did the speedo "crash". I like it!

Mark Z

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, | DVD- Manuals & Parts books