BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
68triton
68triton
London Uk
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Torque setting
#811034 06/01/20 11:07 am
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
When bolting down a cylinder head I tend to use a torque setting to ensure all round uniformity. Is there a recommended torque setting for the nuts that sit on top of the rocker box for a DB34 Goldstar?

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Torque setting
moto8500 #811054 06/01/20 2:40 pm
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by moto8500
Is there a recommended torque setting for the nuts that sit on top of the rocker box for a DB34 Goldstar?
I'm unaware of any recommendations BSA gave for the Gold Star, but torque settings in later BSA and Triumph manuals for similar covers with gaskets (e.g. Trident rocker box) are 10 ft.lbs. for 5/16". This is significantly lower than the 18-25 ft.lbs. those manuals recommend for 5/16" fasteners when used for serious clamping operations on pieces with thick cross sections, like heads or cylinders.

moto8500 #811117 06/01/20 9:27 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Thanks - that makes perfect sense as I am not torquing down a cylinder head so I will go with the torque setting for the rocker box cover.

moto8500 #811733 06/07/20 4:34 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
And speaking of GS rocker box studs. I and many others have replaced the studs with socket head bolts that works nicely. I believe it's a good idea to lube the threads with 'anti seize. This allows fitting the rocker box on the head after the head is bolted on. In a matter of minutes you can do a 'look see' at the valves/springs. An added feature is making it simple aligning and fitting the push rods during engine assembly.
But of course all of you are now using the composition rocker box gaskets vs those OEM paper POS gaskets.

Dave - NV

Moderated by  Rich B 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership