BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Member Spotlight
TriVin
TriVin
Warrington, Cheshire, UK
New BritBike book out!
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#810537 05/27/20 8:19 pm
Mark Z Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I've taken two rides with the speedometer installed, and it seems to be working, except that it's having location-dependent problems acquiring a signal. Also, it's telling me I'm going slower than I think I am, like when it says 60 I feel like I'm doing 70. I guess the next step is to get paced by another vehicle.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
This may not be the ideal location for the antenna (under the steering damper anchor plate). All I can glean from the documentation, which is just a few crude drawings and a bunch of Chinese writing, is that the antenna should be mounted horizontally, right side up. But perhaps it needs to be more exposed. I'll try it like this for a while, as the research continues.
Now I just need to paint the bracket and tidy up. I may paint the back of the gauge black, and remove the threaded studs that are for panel mounting. And I need to find a place to hide all that antenna wire, now coiled under the left handlebar (visible in first photo).

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
You are the king of tech on these old bikes Mark!

I wonder if that wire is shielded? The one with the little brass fittings will be, they are often used for carrying a digital signal but can also break easily, some DAB radios use them but they are also used on highly sensitive electronics for carrying a voltage or a feedback signal. The other wire might benefit from being shortened if this is possible, if there is any interference the coil of wire won’t help it. For the antenna could you put a hole in the headlight “ear” and screw the antenna through that?

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (undergoing restoration)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

Mark Z Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Allan G
You are the king of tech on these old bikes Mark!

I wonder if that wire is shielded? The one with the little brass fittings will be, they are often used for carrying a digital signal but can also break easily, some DAB radios use them but they are also used on highly sensitive electronics for carrying a voltage or a feedback signal. The other wire might benefit from being shortened if this is possible, if there is any interference the coil of wire won’t help it. For the antenna could you put a hole in the headlight “ear” and screw the antenna through that?

Oh, I don't know about that... the electronic tach and the LED headlamp didn't work out so well!

Yes, the antenna wire is the one attached with the brass mini coax connector, so I would assume it's shielded. The wire also feels very sturdy. One thing the instructions DO say in Chinglish is "not to cut antenna wire". (By the way, it's three meters long.) But maybe it should be strung out instead of coiled up. I guess I would go back and forth a couple of times under the fuel tank or something like that. I wanted to do some testing before going to the trouble of pulling the fuel tank.

Another thing I was able to glean from the instructions is that the antenna should be mounted horizontally. So off the headlight ear would be awkward. Maybe a bracket off one of the windshield mounts.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
"location dependent problems acquiring a signal"
Sounds like my GPS. For some reason in the middle of nowhere, clear sky with no obstructions it thinks I'm driving through the middle of a field. Keeps telling me to take turns which don't exist. Anyone considering a self-driving car has never been told to turn right off the side of a mountain by his GPS.
Looks like a nice installation. Keep us posted on how well it works.

Stepping on others doesn't make you stand tall.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Mark Z

Did you mount your TV satellite dish under your house, facing the ground?

Amateur Loctite enthusiast.
K
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
K
Mark,
I'd like to see more detail in your mounting bracket, as I have purchased a similar unit. Looks like some kind of compressive band over a rubber band of some kind.
Tom

Life's uncertain - go fast now!
Mark Z Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Tom, here's a link to the product on amazon, which I ordered separately from the speedometer: Fits any 3 3/8"-diameter gauge.

https://www.amazon.com/Auto-Meter-3...d=1590710578&s=automotive&sr=1-2

The available space is so limited that I eliminated the black part of the supplied bracket and just used the clamping ring and the spacer.

They also have a cup, in black or chrome, that encloses the gauge, but it didn't look like I'd have room for that behind my windshield. After engineering-in this bracket, I can see that the "cup" would not allow the gauge to tilt back.

Mark Z

Mark Z Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Tom, another thought on this: If you have the facility to cut a 3 3/8"-diameter hole in a piece of sheet metal, a panel mount is simpler. I don't have the tooling to make such a panel; that's why I went for the clamp mount.

By the way, what sort of device did you purchase?

Mark Z

Mark Z Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by triton thrasher

I have cable TV.

Mark Z

Mark Z Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member

And here's a link to the gauge I purchased:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074J9MFQV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Note in the description it says, "Mount the sensor at any position, on or under the dashboard." Under the dashboard would be pretty "buried" I wager.

Mark Z

1 member likes this: Gordon Gray
Q
Britbike forum member
Online Happy
Britbike forum member
Q
if its mounted upside down , or shielded by metal ...
see install page , best signal reception may be shielded
It may be getting a nice signal reflected off the pavement and all good ?
if your not happy with the reception ... point it at the sky
[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

K
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
K
Mark,
I bought the same unit as yours except mine reads in KPH which is a bit handier in Canada. I'm thinking about mounting the sensor behind the seat, possibly with industrial Velcro so as not to have to drill a hole. I haven't tried it yet but I will be making a mounting bracket as you suggest with the 3-3/8" hole. I have a mill-drill with a turn table so I'll be able to cut the hole to size.
Tom

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Mark Z

I have cable TV.

I was in Barbados once and there was cable radio. First thing in the morning, they read out a list of people who had died.

knuckle head
knuckle head
My friend has an Australian made GPS speedo on a Triumph and a Guzzi. They have a magnetic small round pod connected by a thin cable to the speedo. I notice he sticks the magnet on the fuel tank after trying more concealed locations.

79 T140D, 96 900M Ducati ,61 A10 .On a bike you can out run the demons..
“But I don't want to go among mad people,” Alice remarked. “Oh, you can't help that,” said the Cat: “we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.
K
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
K
I made an aluminum plate mounting for mine today and mounted the sensor just behind the seat using industrial Velcro.

It looks quite "industrial" to me so I'll narrow it up.

I took it out for a 10km run and it seems to work perfectly. Time will tell how it holds up on a B44.

Tom

K
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
K
I removed the bracket and flattened it and re-positioned it back in the milling machine and removed 1/4" off each side and the outer radius.

I then re-bent it, sanded it lightly, and painted it satin black. Re-mounted on the bike.

Mark Z Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Tom, very nice! I was almost going to ask you if you would be interested in making one for me, but then I took another look and realized it would not work on my bike because of the steering damper knob. I guess I'm committed to the bracket I have, due to the lack of space. I have a windshield too which I plan to put back on, and which also limits the available space; I removed it to make it easier to work on the speedo.

I'll definitely be moving the antenna. The rear fender idea is kind of cool, but in my case it would be under a luggage rack and tour bag. I might Velcro it to the headlamp shell or to one of the windshield brackets for further testing. I'm joining in a small group ride tomorrow evening, which will be a good opportunity to get paced.

Tom, what's your plan for hiding the extra 3 meters of antenna wire?

Mark Z

Mark Z Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by quinten
if its mounted upside down , or shielded by metal ...
see install page , best signal reception may be shielded
It may be getting a nice signal reflected off the pavement and all good ?
if your not happy with the reception ... point it at the sky

Yes, that's the sheet I got with the gauge, all except for the English text at the top. Are those your words, or a translation of something on the sheet? Yes, I got that it wants to be on plastic. I wonder, if I Velcro it to the headlamp shell, will the Velcro keep the metal headlamp shell from "shielding the reception"? Guess I'll find out tomorrow...

Mark Z

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
You could 'bury' it in the foam of the seat, behind where you sit if you want it hidden.
Rob C

K
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
K
My antenna lead was 4.9m long, or 16 feet. Who on earth need a 16 foot long antenna lead? In any case, I started at the rear fender location and threaded the lead up to the steering head, back to the seat area, and again, and again until I finally got to the instrument at the front. The lead is then zip tied to the top frame tube in several places. The only place it's visible is at the steering head, where there are lots of wires to choose from.

The overall appearance

Tom

K
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
K
Nice bike Tom , got to be fun.

1968 BSA Firebird
1200 HD
XS 1100
1972 Rickman 125
Mark Z Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by koncretekid
My antenna lead was 4.9m long, or 16 feet. Who on earth need a 16 foot long antenna lead? In any case, I started at the rear fender location and threaded the lead up to the steering head, back to the seat area, and again, and again until I finally got to the instrument at the front. The lead is then zip tied to the top frame tube in several places. The only place it's visible is at the steering head, where there are lots of wires to choose from.
Tom

Yeah, that looks like fun! That's pretty much what I was thinking with the wire, going back and forth a few times under the fuel tank.

However... I Velcro'd the sensor to the top of my headlamp shell and went for another ride today, and got equally unsatisfactory results - no reception at all on my road, and it lost signal in a couple of places on the highway - I think the same places it lost signal before. Maybe because the sensor is on a bit of a slant to the side? I wonder if having the antenna wire coiled up is a problem?

Mark Z

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Is your ignition suppressed?

Q
Britbike forum member
Online Happy
Britbike forum member
Q
[
ouch ,

Q
Britbike forum member
Online Happy
Britbike forum member
Q
the gps apps on my android semi-smart phone
have a tab the tells me how many satellites are available
and how many it is locked onto .
Typically it locks onto 10 to 15 satellites out of 31 that are in obit .
it take a minimum of 4 to get " triangulation "

i dont suppose your speedo has this kind of extra data logging ... but you can use
any smart phone to check gps capabilities .
( gps works best with broad Horizon
and it's worse in deep valleys )

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, | DVD- Manuals & Parts books