BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Graham Ham
Graham Ham
South East England
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Apache Cams???
#809651 05/20/20 5:51 pm
Bigtwin Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Greetings,
No doubt this has been discussed before, but regarding camshafts: Thanks to the current situation, I finally got around to disassembling an Apache ( SMR #) project of mine. It appears to have been unmolested and simply run to death without any catastrophic failures! Yeah! I was glad to find that it has the "mythical" intake sprocket with the "A" marking and camshafts marked IN R and EX R. Actually not in bad shape, although some resurfacing might be in order. Memory fades over time, but these are the first R markings I have found in quite some time. I have an abundance of #1s & #2s IN/EX, but nothing with the "A" marked sprocket or the R designation.... So where does this set up fit into the grand scheme of RE camshafts? Any other oddities to look for? The crank feels lighter in comparison with others, so I need to get out the scales! Back in my high school days, I did buy a set of Apache cams from my local dealer for my Trailblazer ... No recollection of a special sprocket & no, I was not smart enough to save the boxes! Any Info to share?

REgards!

Bigtwin

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Apache Cams???
Bigtwin #809801 05/21/20 12:30 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Hi Bt,

My understanding is the R's were the precursor to the Interceptor engine, and at the time the Apache was the sportier engine produced by RE.

Good luck with the rebuild.

Cheers Charles

Bigtwin #809814 05/21/20 2:06 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Cool beans!
The Apache preceded the Constellation and obviously was intended for racing just as the VAX was to the Interceptor.
The "R" is for racing, 35345 EX and 35344 IN, but it's too early in the morning for me to check my paperwork.
I wonder how much difference there is between the Apache and VAX?
Fun Project, keep us posted.
Tom Oil

Bigtwin #809837 05/21/20 4:42 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
IMHO, the VAX (which was advertised as an Interceptor before the MK1 750)was basically a re-badged Apache..except the Apache didn't come with a toolbox and the VAX did.
I've never seen any parts books or rider's handbooks for the VAX; and maybe there were none, since it was so short lived ???
Makes it that more difficult to separate fact from fiction..

Will work for Guinness smile
Bigtwin #809924 05/22/20 4:12 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Cams and sprockets have been addressed here with some authority before. While looking for something else, I stumbled on the thread. In Britbike's search function, key in Apache. You cannot find a post from its number, somehow you are supposed to know the title of the thread. Scroll thru 2 pages of posts to find 683998 and 685538 by Jeremy Pendergast.
Much more Apache info there for projects, saved for our enlightenment, but hard for me to find. If someone understands the search engine better, please enlighten me.

Bigtwin #809985 05/23/20 8:58 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Here is the link to the topic Chris mentions started by Jeremy.

https://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/683998/

Here is the post where Jeremy states the Apache to be "the grandaddy of the Interceptor"

https://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/685536/re-apache#Post685536

Cheers Charles

Moderated by  royaloilfield 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership