BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Gary E
Gary E
Medford, Oregon
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
B31 Clutch stuck
#809345 05/18/20 7:28 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Hello all, just got my 54' B31 fired up for a test ride today. It has not been running for almost a year now. This last winter I changed all the oils. I made a novice mistake of not checking the clutch to see if it was free and separated before I installed the primary cover. Well, you guessed it. Before I started it I checked to see if would break free by pulling clutch in and rolling it back and forth, nope. I even went as far as to push it running, click into low gear and ride it for a mile or so with the clutch pulled in, different r.p.m.'s to no avail. My question is does anyone have a secret trick before I remove the primary cover? Thanks in advance!!! Kevin

1954 B31 Plunger 1966 BSA Hornet 1969 T120R 1969 TR6C 1971 B25SS 1972 B50SS 1969 B44 Victor Special
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: B31 Clutch stuck
Kevin Victor #809443 05/19/20 9:16 am
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
A higher gear and going guns blazing up a hill with the clutch out is your best bet. It where the clutch is most likely to slip, having the clutch pulled in is not doing anything to break the bond. Another option is to get up to say 30 mph and then change to a lower gear, let the engine rev drop to idle and then drop the clutch lever so you are using engine braking on the clutch.

Re: B31 Clutch stuck
Kevin Victor #809449 05/19/20 11:14 am
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Bingo! …… First, thanks commando for chiming in! I was telling a good buddy of mine who is a Jap bike nut. He told me some of his do it frequently. He gets things going like I did, then lays heavy on the throttle, then hits the rear brake hard with clutch engaged, and he says that sometimes it may take a few hard hits to get it loose. I was a little reluctant to try this with the ole B31, fearing I might end up pushing it back to the shop. It took 3 tries, but now, after a 10 mile jaunt, we are both very happy.

1954 B31 Plunger 1966 BSA Hornet 1969 T120R 1969 TR6C 1971 B25SS 1972 B50SS 1969 B44 Victor Special

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership