BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Dave Martin
Dave Martin
Antigua
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Reinstalling 67 Bonnie transmission covers
#809146 05/17/20 12:38 am
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I got the inner cover installed and the shifter is indexed, I think. I used the 1st gear method shown here: http://www.hermit.cc/tmc/technote/gearbox/index_cam_quad/index.htm

After installing the outer cover, I can shift up and back down, but no further. I think my clutch has an issue. I replaced the brass bush with the gears still in place, so nothing else in the gearbox was moved. After replacing the outer cover, I can operate the clutch lever assembly inside the cover using my fingers. The top where it connects to the cable sticks out of the case. It seems like it isn't making contact with the pushrod. How far out should the pushrod project from the mainshaft? I'm at a loss for fixing this.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Reinstalling 67 Bonnie transmission covers
ArmyMutt #809150 05/17/20 2:15 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
AM - if I understand correctly you can get neutral, first, and second - but when you try to go up from 2nd it's barred? Did you bump the rear wheel when you tried to shift up again?

Bruce Miller
aka The Hermit
The Bonnie Ref: https://www.hermit.cc/tmc/om/manual.htm
ArmyMutt #809152 05/17/20 2:40 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Gear box timing is Voo Doo. I've got a tool to do the 5 speed and it works most of the time. The 4 speed is the reason I drink. Keep at it and good luck.

1968 T120R
1972 T120RV
Any advice given is without a warranty expressed or implied.
Hermit #809197 05/17/20 2:08 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Hermit - that seemed to be the problem. When I pulled the plunger from the bottom, I was able to get it to turn without issue. I tried to use a screw driver with the plunger in, but nothing would budge and I didn't want to deform the case. Do I need to take the clutch basket out? I'm wondering if I should just put it together, put oil in it and have faith that it's assembled correctly. Maybe it just needs lubrication to get things to move.

Last edited by ArmyMutt; 05/17/20 3:05 pm.
ArmyMutt #809263 05/18/20 3:02 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
AM - after you index and put the outside cover back on and try shifting the gears, you probably need to budge the gears by moving the back tire while you move the shift lever.

If you still can't get all the gears then the indexing is the most likely problem. Unless there is some other condition we're not aware of I can't see why you'd need to take the clutch apart. It's a gearbox problem, not a transmission problem.

So if you indexed in 1st gear you

a) ensured that the camplate was in first gear position

[Linked Image from hermit.cc]

b) let the outer quadrant fall all the way down to the floor of the gearbox and then lifted it up just enough to engage the first teeth on the camplate as you pushed on the inner cover

If everything is still assembled I would try shifting again but moving the gears using the rear wheel and then if you get no joy I would pull off the outer and inner cover and try indexing again.

In your next post can you confirm which bush you replaced and whether everything was working ok before you replaced it?

Bruce Miller
aka The Hermit
The Bonnie Ref: https://www.hermit.cc/tmc/om/manual.htm

Moderated by  John Healy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership