BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Richard Phillips
Richard Phillips
San Luis Obispo, CA
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Rust-oleum
#809058 05/15/20 9:58 pm
Allan G Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I’ve read on here for a long time that a lot of Britbike members use rust-oleum for their frames.

I’ve just ordered their light Grey RAL7035 (ral colour given from Servodyne in one of his threads and the bike looks great!) I was going to use RS paints dove grey as on first application it looked like a Dead on match With a NOS rear foot peg I have.... However I must have had a bit of arc eye stopping me seeing colour in detail as I look now and it’s Quite a bit different.... I wouldn’t mind so much but their colour is too cream in colour. I’ve painted a few things in it but they will get blasted and re-coated.

For most the bits I could get powder coated, however.... If someone can show me some examples of their frame
Done in the Rust-oleum industrial (hard hat) paint then I might go down that route.

I believe the paint is a direct to metal but they also do (and recommend) an anti-corrosion primer... has anyone bothered to used this?

Would love to see some detailed examples (better still if it’s a colour paint) is it tough and durable or does it chip on a bike frame? Does the colour fade? How glossy is the gloss?

TIA

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (undergoing restoration)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Rust-oleum
Allan G #809064 05/15/20 11:10 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
The frame on my ironhead sportster was done using POR15 chassis paint (direct to metal, no primer). It's a typical rust "encapsulator" and does provide a very solid shell over the frame. However, there is no "touching it up" or blending-in blemishes. It doesn't sand. It doesn't buff. It's almost more like a very thin but hard plastic shell. I'm sure the next person to take that bike apart will curse me as it's probably going to be tough to remove it all.

It was pretty easy to apply with a brush and was self levelling. I'd use it again if I was re-doing it but I'd be more careful during assembly to prevent scratches, as any touch-up is visible.

Re: Rust-oleum
Allan G #809169 05/17/20 10:36 am
Allan G Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Many thanks Marc, I have used the POR paint in the past, I’ve found it to be quite watery from an aerosol but given a few coats and flatting back its good and a hard as nails finish.

However I can’t get POR in RAL colours. It’s likely the complete bike will get powder coat but if the Rust-oleum industrial goes on well then I will use this instead. Just looking to hear people’s experiences with using it and how well it’s stood up to being used on a frame, stone chip resistance etc

Many thanks.

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (undergoing restoration)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

Moderated by  Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership