BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Gary E
Gary E
Medford, Oregon
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 3
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Carb slide sticking
Dave Martin #809876 05/21/20 10:22 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
The best advice you can get is don't ride it until you find out why! If you do ride it and it sticks, and cannot sort out the kill button, my best advice is to pull in the clutch. You can fix the motor.

Remove the offending carburetor and take several measurements relative to the slide diameter, and the clearance in the bore. First check that the body hasn't gone oval. Then check that the slide has been ground round and doesn't taper from top to bottom. If the bore is round, and the slide straight and true measure the slide clearance. It should be near .004" clearance.

If the bore is not round either replace the body or straighten it. Premiers are made from a harder alloy and do not tend to bend when over tighten, but...

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Dave Martin #809886 05/22/20 2:42 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
One of the 2 slides on my 70 lightning sticks ever few years, I usually find it to be a symptom of galling between the slide and the body. Usually a light sanding with 400 grit to remove the high spots of the galling takes care of the problem, at least temporarily. Someday I need to send them to Lund for a sleeve job.

While I do agree that the design is flawed from conception I do appreciate their simplicity. The Kiehin carbs on my 75 CB400F are just a step below jewelry, beautifully engineered and impeccably machined but so much so that even the slightest misadjustment causes a very poor running bike. About halfway through the 2 day affair of rebuilding, setting up and syncing of them makes me long for the simple elegance of the Amals. Reminds me of the saying "the grass is always greener on the other side".

1970 BSA A65L
1974 Yamaha RD350
1975 Honda CB400F
Doug Lightfoot #809901 05/22/20 7:54 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Doug Lightfoot
While I do agree that the design is flawed from conception I do appreciate their simplicity. The Kiehin carbs on my 75 CB400F are just a step below jewelry, beautifully engineered and impeccably machined but so much so that even the slightest misadjustment causes a very poor running bike. About halfway through the 2 day affair of rebuilding, setting up and syncing of them makes me long for the simple elegance of the Amals. Reminds me of the saying "the grass is always greener on the other side".

Plus 1 to that comment. Mines a 77 and I hate having to strip them, usually if fuels been left in for a period of time.

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (undergoing restoration)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

Dave Martin #809922 05/22/20 3:53 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Check the "nib" on the slide. It can wear and jam in the slot of the carb body

BSA B31 500 "Stargazer"
Greeves 200 "Blue Meanie"
Greeves 350
Greeves 360
Suzuki GSX1100 EFE "Sorcerers Apprentice"
GM500 sprint/LSR bike "Deofol"
Jawa 500 "Llareggub"
Aprilia RSV Mille "Lo Stregone"
'35 & '36 OK Supreme
Kawasaki ZZR1400 "Kuro no senshi"
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership