BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Gary E
Gary E
Medford, Oregon
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
reverb Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Hello;

I see these points and look good; but what is good?
Actually seems nobody know; besides the cleaning and light sanding what else? They are flat and smooth on the surfaces; the normal color; no pitting etc; the arm is working right but I do not have spark.

I changed the condenser but I do not have spark yet.
In the last 30 years I always read that if you change the condenser, change the points; but why? Nobody knows or there is a secret stuff to know?
Could be the coil but there is no way to measure these new magneto coils, the right way without the equipment and knowledge.

Thanks

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: POINTS
reverb #808851 05/13/20 10:35 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Sounds to me like you have a good set of points...if they are old original treat them like gold...my bike uses Wipac points.

Replacement are very poor.

Only thing that can go wrong...pitting on the faces...can sometimes be cured with the carefully use on an oil stone keeping the faces parallel.

The fiber heel cal wear down if not kept lubed with the felt pad.

Yes that was the old school advice....but we need to look after our spares now...condenser likewise can be very poor.

If your is ok...just carry a good spare in your tool kit.

Nick in the UK.

Recently bought my 1st ever motorcycle...a humble 1969 BSA Bantam B175...I am enjoying using my Bantam so much...does all I need.
My car that I use daily is an old series Landrover that I bought new 40 years ago and has just become tax free.
reverb #808862 05/14/20 12:51 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
The purpose of the condenser is to reduce/eliminate sparking at the points. If your points are heavily pitted or eroded and dirty it’s a sure sign the condenser is on it’s way out. That is when you change both points and condenser.

Given how cheap they were when they were new you’d change both anyway purely as a precautionary measure.

As for carrying a spare in your tool kit I prefer the old Rolls Royce system where they mounted a spare beside the one in use. You know where it is, it doesn’t get knocked about and the changeover job is half done before you start.

You don’t say what bike you are playing with.

Cheers,

reverb #808865 05/14/20 1:34 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
are we talking a morris/ hunt magneto ?

Check the coil visually for signs of overheating [Linked Image from morrismagneto.com]

primary resistance will be so low as to not be detectable with a home meter ... so you're looking for continuity .
from wire to core . ( 0.3 ohms )

Secondary resistance between the two HT spring mounts will be somewhere around 13,000 ohms

the coil is held in place with two set screws into the core .
the screws may be internal or external depending on what casting was used .
new coils are as cheap as a 80 us dollars ... but more likely $110

Last edited by quinten; 05/14/20 1:46 am.
reverb #808888 05/14/20 6:07 am
reverb Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Hi; the bike is a pre unit Triumph and the magneto is a Hunt that I bought new some 20 years ago or more.
I removed the coil to visually inspect but let the wire attached to the screw because the magneto is in the bike.
The coil have kind of tiny cracks besides the black tabs.

I will try to check for continuity but I think Magnetoman said that the coil could be bad but still the meter show signs of life...so I do not know.

Yes, but I do not know the problems now with the customs/airport here.

Villiers #808969 05/15/20 12:45 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Most of the points that get replaced really aren't bad. People mainly change them as a precautionary measure or in a vain attempt to fix an ignition problem. But you will occasionally find a set of points that exhibits one of the aforementioned problems that requires replacement.

Ignition coils can go bad and not exhibit problems that will be detected with a multimeter. This is one of the reasons why many of the magnetos that get rebuilt for aircraft engines spend time on a test bench before being installed on the engine.

Moderated by  Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership