BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Gary E
Gary E
Medford, Oregon
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
So This happened...
#808501 05/10/20 8:28 pm
Danam Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Out for a ride and my newly purchased brake cable snapped. Wire came out of the grommet. By the grace of god, I’m still alive!! lucky I wasn’t in a high speed turn. Not sure if I will ever truly trust this machine.

Photo

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: So This happened...
Danam #808510 05/10/20 9:32 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Wow, who is the manufacturer of the cable ?

Jon W.

1957 6T Thunderbird 650
1968 T100R Daytona 500
1971 TR6R Tiger 650
1970 BSA A65F 650
1955 Tiger 100 - Project
1971 BSA A65 650 - Project
1972 Norton Commando 750 "Combat"

"Every time I listen to AC/DC, so do my neighbors"

Danam #808515 05/10/20 10:13 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Wow, you had a front brake that actually worked? Mine brings to mind Ettore Bugatti's comments, "I make my cars to go not to stop, the brakes are merely symbolic", rarely use it and never rely on it!

Joking aside it would be good to know where you got that POS from.

Danam #808532 05/11/20 4:13 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
The end of the cable is supposed to be flared where it exits the ferrule on the far side. Lead solder could have been used instead of silver solder.
The end cap on the cable casing looks as though the cable was pulling sideways and elongated the hole. How long were you actually using it?
It is a good idea to periodically test cables by pulling on the lever as hard as you ever used in an emergency.

Jon W. Whitley #808539 05/11/20 5:59 am
Danam Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
It was off eBay so I suppose thats on me.

Danam #808542 05/11/20 7:24 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A lot of these new cables are made by pressing 2 halves of a lead (I assume lead) half moon together. I make all my own cables now. I buy the Venhill clutch kits and the appropriate size nipple to suit British handlebar levers and own one of their bird cage tools which does a fat better job than just flaring the ends of the cable which can still pull out.
I make a solder pot using a stainless measuring cup filled with a reel of plumbers type solder and heat it on a camping stove. After fluxing the cable I can sit the end in the solder for a minute and keep dunking until the nipple is sufficiently
Filled with solder. Being careful not to dunk the nipple in too far and soldering the wire past the nipple which is what will cause the cable to eventually break.

The Venhill kits are also Teflon lined which makes them a lighter and smoother action as well as having a heavy duty outer.

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (undergoing restoration)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

Allan G #808547 05/11/20 8:02 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Allan G
I make all my own cables now. I buy the Venhill clutch kits and the appropriate size nipple to suit British handlebar levers and own one of their bird cage tools which does a fat better job than just flaring the ends of the cable which can still pull out.
I make a solder pot using a stainless measuring cup filled with a reel of plumbers type solder and heat it on a camping stove. After fluxing the cable I can sit the end in the solder for a minute and keep dunking until the nipple is sufficiently
Filled with solder. Being careful not to dunk the nipple in too far and soldering the wire past the nipple which is what will cause the cable to eventually break.

The Venhill kits are also Teflon lined which makes them a lighter and smoother action as well as having a heavy duty outer.
The Venhill bird-caging tool is excellent, and the Teflon-lined outers are nice as well.
I use tinman's solder rather than plumber's solder, and a soldering iron which makes the lights dim when I turn it on. The solder pot seems like a good idea.

To do it better than original, the trumpet nipple + matching barrel nipple combination should be worth experimenting with.

David's silver solder approach seems intriguing as well, but may be overkill.

Danam #808549 05/11/20 8:29 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
The plumbers solder has a small amount of silver content in there but probably isn’t as tough as Tinmans solder. David’s solution is worth looking into (sadly I’ve just made up my cables) but I have another stainless measuring cup and some silver solder so I may melt that down and do the same again. I saw the prices of a proper solder pot and bought some
Cups of eBay for 2% of the price, also its more portable as it doesn’t require electricity and takes up little space... ideal for when away camping. The bird caging tool can be held between two vice grips if so needed.

The bird cage tool does make soldering irrelevant but I still like to add the belts and braces approach to it. Incidentally I’ve just started using the shorter trumpet nipples instead of the long neck ones which Venhill supply with their kits, they fit better within the large nipple and doesn’t exceed the length which was the issue with The standard ones.

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (undergoing restoration)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

Danam #808569 05/11/20 1:49 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
If you have the tools for proper soldering you can get cable parts from http://flanderscables.com/
They also have the solder tools but if you are only making a few it may not be worth the cost.
Stressed cables should have a nipple and barrel on one end so the cable are free to twist.

Danam #808576 05/11/20 3:23 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
When I needed to make some cables, I looked at solder pots but opted for a used electric pot originally for bullet casting. It was much less expensive than a solder pot and seemed to work equally well for my project. I bought some materials from Flanders, as Mr Madigan suggested and can now make custom cables to my heart's content, or at least until I use up my supplies.

Danam #808577 05/11/20 3:39 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Um. Barnett Cables & Clutches Ventura CA. www.barnettclutches.com 805-642-9435 maybe support vendors that support us??

Danam #808578 05/11/20 3:49 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I found an electric solder pot going cheap on E Bay.
Turned out it was from a lab that was closing down.
When I got it in the mail it was full of solder!

Danam #808583 05/11/20 5:08 pm
DOPE
DOPE
ah

unexpected bonuses

a friend of mine in east texas bought a used car once.

when cleaning it he discovered it already came with a 25-caliber semiautomatic pistol under the front seat

every day you do not take a chance is a day of your life that you will never get back.
kevin #808624 05/12/20 2:41 am
Well'ard Rocker
Online Content
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by kevin
ah

unexpected bonuses

when cleaning it he discovered it already came with a 25-caliber semiautomatic pistol under the front seat

Chances are that it was a Davis or a Lorcin or some old Spanish piece of junk like my Dad used to bring home after a Navy cruise .... you'd shoot it about 3 times, the magazine would fall out and the barrel would be loose. I DO have my Grandmother's old carry gun ... a Colt 1908 .25 which was actually very nicely made, manufactured in January 1920, amazing to handle it and shoot it and realize that it's been working for 100 years now. Unfortunately, any .25 is one step above throwing a rock at someone at the best of times ....

Lannis

"Until it's safe" means "Never".
Danam #808626 05/12/20 3:26 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
As some others have mentioned, it is important for the cable to be able to rotate as you apply tension to it.
Cables always fail from torsional fatigue not from tensile overload as a lot seem to think

This is why one end always has a ball, as previously mentioned

However the ball cup on the levers are usually mangled and do not allow the cable to rotate as it needs to,
Thus the pear terminal on the lever end with a slip on drum ( similar to comical outer brake ) or a drum slipped onto the cable before the pear is the way to go .
That is how I have been making cables since I started riding and I have never had a cable I made break.
Bought in cables do break and AFAIK the UNSW & Syd TAFE are still using my old broken cables to teach students what a torsional fatigue failure looks like as cables do not rotate after faiure which destroys the surface details.

Bike Beesa
Trevor
kevin #808628 05/12/20 3:31 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by kevin
ah

unexpected bonuses

That's no surprise. In Texas new cars come with a pistol where the cigarette lighter used to be. Usually a bigger calibre though. laughing

Stepping on others doesn't make you stand tall.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
Danam #808773 05/13/20 5:49 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
get a cap for iron pipe.... theres your solder pot. heat it with a propane torch

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership