Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
rocketscientist
rocketscientist
Smackinthemiddle, NJ
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
NickL - as Don did previously, I change crankcase and primary chaincase oil every thousand miles. A good riding season for me is 6K.

I have been thinking about going to a 1200 mile oil change interval because I find the crankcase oil is still relatively clean after 1,000 miles.I rarely take rides less than 35 or 40 miles and average would be probably between 60 and 80 miles.

The expense of changing oil and filter at 1,000 miles isn't that great, but I just hate the mess of changing the oil and cleaning up afterwards!

However, I have stumbled onto an oil change method that significantly reduces the mess. Heck! It almost eliminates the mess! Yesterday I did my first oil change using my brand-new Mityvac 7201 Fluid Evacuator Plus and I must say that it works a treat!

This device is designed to evacuate any fluid used on cars, trucks, mc's etc. Oil is supposed to be warm but I used it yesterday at ambient workshop temperature of 70F and it worked just fine. Very easy to use: stick the plastic tube into the oil bottle, give the hand pump 10 strokes, and 17 minutes later the oil tank was empty.

[Linked Image from hermit.cc]

How empty you ask? When I removed the drain at the bottom of the tank not even one drop came out - so the evacuator actually removed more oil than simply draining the tank. And I'm guessing it would have taken about half the time had the oil actually been warm.

Interesting? It gets better. Once the oil was in the evacuator tank I pushed the intake valve to the outlet position, gave 10 strokes on the pump handle, and the device pumped the waste oil out of its reservoir and into a waiting gallon container for transport to recycling. Ten minutes using a larger diameter plastic tube.

To finish things off I I dumped a half-cup of kerosene into the Mytyvac, swished it around, and pumped it back out into another container. No muss, no fuss, didn't even put on plastic gloves. I'd like to say I didn't spill a drop, but in my own clutzy way I let a plastic tube get away from me at one point and it dribbled a couple of teaspoons of oil on the floor.

The Mityvac is very reasonably priced on Amazon.com. With the border closing I had to order through Amazon.ca so naturally I got dinged an extra 40 bucks after taking into consideration tax and exchange, but I'm not looking back!

This device definitely works as advertised and definitely worth the money in my opinion, especially if you have multiple vehicles.

Bruce Miller
aka The Hermit
The Bonnie Ref: https://www.hermit.cc/tmc/om/manual.htm
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
Hi TR7RVMan; I have a new uninstalled MAP filter that use the Trident filters. I am planning to use it in my other project.
In the meantime I tried to find a place in this T140E but I did not see any good one.
That fender part is obstructed by the rear brake reservoir; down part to the swingarm, by the brake master cylinder; behind the outer cover there is the inner cover; behind that I have there attached the Podtronics and plenty of wiring. Then I have the Smartfire and the 2 generic coils that I only have place due to PO removed the breathing system. I do not see any space but will wait for your detailed photos.

Thank you

R Moulding; in the later models you have not the tit but a big squared "plate" that can (and do) cut the filter. If I try to modify this one that I have and make couple of those big spacers that you made; the filter will be too near the tyre.
The thin arm that the mount have, like yours, cannot hold top speed without vibrating a bit and in these later models do not have enough space to have those spacers.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Reverb, most oif users mount a return line filter below the air box. Personally I prefer the filter in the frame tube idea.

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (undergoing restoration)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I agree.
Reverb-- the Charlies filter in the bae of the oil "tank" is a good solution for 1973 on models.

1 member likes this: Lorenzo
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
Tridentman; of course; you suggested that before, but I change filter every time that I change oil at about 1800km so 5 or 6 times in a year and I do not want to remove that cover over and over. That cover is better be removed only in a rebuild. I do not want to damage a thread there. Is not possible to repair it here; even more without too much hassle.

Hi Allan; I do not see any space there. All full of wiring; generic coils etc. May be I would upload some photos to show.

Thanks

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Clip a MAP filter using Trident oil filter element to the frame tube behind the toolbox?

D
Britbike forum member
Online Happy
Britbike forum member
D
Instead of trying to stuff 6 pounds of crap in a 4 pound bag why not try this? Read the description details.

https://www.jpcycles.com/product/30...zAJThYTsr4aAmTuEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3KbnnE8Z7STXp2X17

I forgot, the home made aluminium bracket quickly broke. I modified a heavy steel "L" bracket to do the same thing. It's been on there for years now.

Last edited by desco; 05/01/20 10:47 pm. Reason: addition

1968 T120R
1972 T120RV
Any advice given is without a warranty expressed or implied.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Hey Bruce Interesting solution. A few years I bought one of these little oil pumps for that purpose. It's OK, takes about 10 minutes to empty my tr6 oil tank but oil has to be warm, it was real slow with cold oil (they say not to try that but I did :-))

It's a bit of a pain though as the pump then leaks oil for the next two weeks until all the captive oil escapes...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

3D TV: A format that lost a format war without even having an opponent.
Bikes: '69 T120 on average (1967 rolling frame and 1971 Bonnie engine) + '56 1/2 T110 on average (58 rolling frame - with 55 iron head engine) + 74 T150 Home model.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
HI Brett - I looked at pumps like that - glad I went for the Mityvac unit - no leaks, no drips, and the 1/4 cup kerosene rinse cleaned it up like new.

Two cars, motorcycle, tractor, lawn tractor, rototiller, leaf-blower, snow blower, and weed whacker - all four-cycle engines so I should get my money's worth in use.

Bruce Miller
aka The Hermit
The Bonnie Ref: https://www.hermit.cc/tmc/om/manual.htm
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
Hi Desco; is not what filter is to have enough space and in the later models the only place is between the tyre and the frame and is a non convenient spot plus I have a bunch of hoses that do not live long due to rubbing on whatever, because there is no space like in earlier models.
I removed the RH exhaust and other stuff.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
The mount that I made for the triples is for the 1-1/8" right lower frame rail under the gearbox. The OIF frame is 1-1/4". The centre stand cross bar is 1". With either a new mounting bracket or a split tube to take up the difference it could be placed there. The pipes would have to be rearranged for the twin.
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
With the mount centred on the cross tube the cup does not hang lower than the tabs for the centre stand.
The picture is my R3OIF.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I see your problem, my my filter is offset to the timing side, giving vital tyre clearance, a flat bar extender with offset to move the filter over from the centre is not too tricky. It might help the pipe run too, but , I have a drum brake no hydraulics in the way.

Last edited by gavin eisler; 05/02/20 9:30 pm.

71 Devimead, John Hill, John Holmes A65 750
56 Norbsa 68 Longstroke A65
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
The poster formerly known as Pod
TJD Offline
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member

Last edited by TJD; 05/03/20 3:09 am.
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
Hi DMadigan;

I was checking there; the later models have that big hex nut under the box. To the RH there is no space; to the LH side there is 1 1/2 max of space. Between the engine protruding/mount and the other mount behind, there is about another 1 1/12 or less of space but not so much space on top etc for the 5/16 thick hoses. I do not see a good place to hold it too.

Hi Gavin; not enough space for an offset to the RH there.

TJD; as mentioned before, no space for that with the later models.

TJD Offline
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
As my bike is a dry frame I mounted mine under the battery tray for three reasons, one for ease of access, two to keep it out of the way of road dirt and three to keep it out of the way of damage from anything thrown up from the road.
Is there an adapter so that OIF bikes can use the Norton type filter, then at least you have some options there?

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
While I decide which filter and where to put it I am using this low cost solution.
Presently just being supported by the return oil line and clamps.
Bonus feature is it has a magnet in it.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Link

1966 BSA Lightning
(2) 1967 Triumph "Choppa"s
1974 Indian ME125
1960 Harley Servi-Car
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
good techno swap - approve !

1978 Bonneville T140V PX
D
Britbike forum member
Online Happy
Britbike forum member
D
That Raybestos is trans filter. Trans fluid is way thinner then the 20W50 goo that runs thru our old turds. Also at 14 bucks it's way more expensive to throw away then DMadigans filter at a little more than 3 bucks.

1968 T120R
1972 T120RV
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
3 bucks for the filter how much for the filter holder? Where does one buy these?

1966 BSA Lightning
(2) 1967 Triumph "Choppa"s
1974 Indian ME125
1960 Harley Servi-Car
D
Britbike forum member
Online Happy
Britbike forum member
D
Scroll back a few posts and click on his name. DMadigan. He makes all kinds of great stuff.

1968 T120R
1972 T120RV
T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
Hi Guys, After cutting spin on Norton type filter apart & stretching out paper, same with Motao. Cut & stretch out. They are totally equal visually. Carefully tracking oil visually, they are equal.

I advise cleaning sump screen every oil change with return line filter in any case. They can still get dirty. With in frame filter you kill 2 birds with one stone. The only advantage in real life. Elements mail order only. $11 US.

Anytime you clamp something to OIF back bone it might stress it?? However users report no more cracking than with in frame filter.

Spin on element that fits is not stocked at most USA auto parts stores. So you have to order from them or online. So again a wash.

One option which is more costly, yet very practical & looks factory installed is TriCor which takes the Trident element. Again, mail order only. About $11.
It mounts to fender mount ears welded to back bone. Depends on your fender, brake combination, but is a very nice fit overall. Get 2) 90deg fittings when ordering. Installs in return line. This is the perfect filter for early '71 bikes with oil feed on side of backbone.

https://www.tricor-andy.com/product/oil-filter-kit-t120-140-a65-oil-in-frame-fits-on-return-oil/

I spent a lot of time researching what filter was best. About 2 years. Conclusion: the one you feel fits & looks best, & you feel is one you like best. They all work equally as well. Don't think of price. You'll forget that once installed. Even the TriCor price you'll forget.
Don

1973 Tiger 750
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  John Healy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor