BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Dave Martin
Dave Martin
Antigua
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Oil Leak
#807172 04/29/20 4:09 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I've got a 1970 A65 Thunderbolt.

I can't seem to get the oil line to stop leaking where it meets the hard pipe going into the head.
I've got a 3/16-4.8mm hose fitted
The number in the parts book is 68-0924, but I haven't found any reference that identifies the size

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Oil Leak
eelmgren #807188 04/29/20 6:24 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Hose I.D. should be the same as the pipe O.D.

eelmgren #807207 04/29/20 9:37 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
3/16" hose should be correct. Do you have any sort of clamp on the hose? If not, try that.

If it leaks with good hose and a proper clamp, I'd be looking for an obstruction inside the rocker box. This can be tested by manually pumping oil into the feed pipe and looking to see if the oil oozes out all the rocker ends.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
Mark Z #807606 05/02/20 9:28 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I've got a high pressure fuel line clamp on it.

Yeah, looking for an obstruction was my step. What are the likely causes of an obstruction? Dirt?, something miss-aligned?

Last edited by eelmgren; 05/03/20 2:38 pm.
eelmgren #809029 05/15/20 4:03 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Just got around to pulling off the rocker box. I used a syringe to push oil into the feed pipe. It went in smoothly, appeared to reach all the rocker ends, but much of it exits the spray hole with the cotter pin. If there was blockage, how would I clear it?

It's also leaking at the head gasket. Once I get the head off, hopefully I can inspect it better.

eelmgren #809031 05/15/20 5:31 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Just got around to pulling off the rocker box. I used a syringe to push oil into the feed pipe. It went in smoothly, appeared to reach all the rocker ends, but much of it exits the spray hole with the cotter pin. If there was blockage, how would I clear it?

It's also leaking at the head gasket. Once I get the head off, hopefully I can inspect it better.

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership