Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Richrd
Richrd
Springfield Nebraska
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I have a 4 gallon (imp.) tank which I am pretty sure has the original paint. It came as a spare with my 1969 T120R, and I have had it for 40 years. I haven't been able to determine just which model late '60s Triumph it came from, and I would appreciate your help in identifying the model.

I am in Australia, and we seemed to get quite a mixture of Home market and US market styles - both 2 1/2 gal and 4 gal tanks.

The tank is finished in Olympic Flame over silver, with white pinstripes. It has '69-'70 badges, but maybe they will fit an earlier tank.

It is painted in the style shown below (this is not a picture of my tank).

When I obtain some 'guards I plan to have them painted to match the tank, and then use them to replace the tank and 'guards on my maroon and silver '69 T120R. After 40 years of the same colour I feel like a change, but I would like to know which model the colour scheme originally came from.

Regards, Sammy.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Last edited by sammysnail; 04/25/20 4:06 am. Reason: Clarification.

1954 Norton Dominator 88 cafe - Yamaha wheels, Lyta tank ( project in progress)
1969 Triumph Bonneville
Currently 6 other non-Brit machines.
Past history includes 11 Brit and 13 non-Brit machines.
Some impressive and some just silly.
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
I
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I
It's probably a 1969 T120 tank, as those were the Bonneville colors that year.

You are fortunate to have a 4-gallon tank with the original tank badges.

The badges for these big tanks are peculiar to them.
The tanks have a more gradual curve to them and the most common 2-1/2 gallon and 3-gallon tank badges
have a more severe curve, so they do not fit this bigger tank.

The 4-gallon badges for 1969-70 4-gallon tanks can't be identified by the numbers cast on the back side of them,
because ALL badges that look like these have those same casting numbers.

I have one of these 4-gallon tanks, but so far I have not been able to find a pair of 1969-70 badges to fit it.
If you find any, please let me know.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Tank is not 4 gallon, it's a 2.5 gallon slimline as fitted to T120R, C, TT and TR6C. Neither the paint or the layout are factory.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

From left to right.

4 Gallon Home and General export T120 and TR6
3.5 Gallon export 6T and TR6R
2.5 Gallon ( Slimline ) export T120R, C, TT and TR6C
Emgo Slimline re pop.

Factory offered three paint layouts for 69 Slimline tanks fitted to T120R models, early bikes had just a central silver stripe, followed by silver scallops on top and late bikes had the bird wing added below the badge same as 70 models.

Rod

And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth'

An interesting point given recent events.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I think I have misunderstood? The tank pictured is not your tank but your tank is painted the same way? That being the case it is not factory paint, from 69 anyway. For 69 the home market T120 retained the same layout as 68 with the seperating line going over the top and curving with the knee grip indent.

Rod

Last edited by R Moulding; 04/21/20 2:05 am.

I
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I
Rod, is it possible there was more than one paint scheme on the 4-gallon Bonneville tanks in '69?

We know there were at least THREE paint schemes on the '69 Bonneville 2-1/2 gallon tanks.

Sammy's tank does have the correct white pin-stripes, and the big tanks on the '66 6T Thunderbirds divided the two colors
with a straight-across pin-stripe in front of the tank badge, as this one does.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I wouldn't say impossible Mr Swede, but maybe unlikely. Remember the export bikes were driven by consumers who wanted them to look flash, so Triumph would quickly cave to requests or complaints from dealers who couldn't sell bikes. For the home market these bikes were mostly used for daily transport left parked out in the street in all weathers and sold in smaller numbers. About 360 home market 66 TR6's were sold. So much less likely that Triumph or their dealers would have made a fuss about how the paint was laid out.

Also the tank pictured is a Slimline and not a home market big tank.

Rod

TJD Offline
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
As soon as I looked at the picture my brain said Daytona then I had a look for some pics and it looks like Daytona style paint pattern. Just a thought.

R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
That tank pic also seems to have been as on eBay ?

And also a post about a restored 1969 Bonneville
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/11/4f/71/114f7102748372c01c5ae3088366e8b8.jpg

That Olympic Flame Red doesn't seem to be too red, compared to other examples. ?
An example ?
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/0a/72/4c/0a724c75a18fac5965dd724ea6fe5910.jpg

R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
P.S. The only (?) other place that actual same style of scheme occurs is for the 1972 T120RV tank for the US,
but in Tiger Gold and Cold White.

https://i.postimg.cc/6Qw8vN7z/tank-scheme.jpg

So it this between US vs Brit vs Australian models ?

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Unless we see a picture of the actual tank we will not get a definitive answer, just like the 'mystery carb' thread, where the original poster has never posted a picture of the carb he wants information about, lots of informed replies but nothing 100% positive.

Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Thank you all for your replies.Unfortunately, as I am not paid up I cannot post my own pictures, only URLs of other people's pictures.

That said, the tank in question has lived on a rafter in my shed for some years. When I shone a light on it, the orange paint looked stunning. I have now got it down, washed it and looked at in the sunlight. This was rather disappointing, as it bears obvious signs of repainting, there is no clear coat, and the orange is less than "flamboyant". The path that I am contemplating now is to repaint both the tank and 'guards (when I get them) in the same colours, using Candy Apple "Burnt Orange".

I removed one of the 4 gal.. badges and compared it with one of the 2 1/2 gal. T120R badges. To me they appear to be identical, with the same curve where they fit the tank.

Instead of being smoothly curved between the filler cap and the badge (like the T120R tank), my 4 gallon tank has a basically horizontal raised ridge which gives it a slightly squared off look. This ridge runs from the frame cut out at the front, in between the filler cap and the tank badge, to above the knee-grip indentation at the rear. Viewed from the front this is very obvious, with the side of the tank appearing flattish, with a distinct edge before it curves up to the centre seam. The first thought in my mind was "1970". If this description makes sense, can any one comment whether this edge was confined to any particular years?

1969 Triumph Bonneville
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
You can load your pics to a Hosting site and then add then to your post using the full editor and copying and pasting the host sites url.

I use postimage.org, there are others but do not use postbucket or you will be held to ransom.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

and this is the url I added

https://i.postimg.cc/Gmt0TV0d/IMG-20190921-131044.jpg

Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Ahhhhh!

Thank you kommando.

1969 Triumph Bonneville
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
From the description the tank you have should be the same as the one on the left in my picture. This tank was introduced in 63 on home market models, all be it with different spacing for the badge holes. It continued until 70 losing the rack holes in 69.

Rod

Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Thanks Rod, no rack holes, so '69 or '70 then.

-Phil.

1969 Triumph Bonneville

Moderated by  John Healy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor