BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Don Leaming
Don Leaming
Ontario Canada
New BritBike book out!
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
B44 Rocker oil
#804584 04/08/20 11:08 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I have never been happy with the amount of oil, or lack there of, getting to the rockers. Perhaps my expectations are too high.
The rockers do get oil but there certainly is no need for the gasket on the inspection cover.
I have done "the CCM mod" and taken an oil feed off the timing case, no real difference, the oil coming out of the tapping basically comes out at a steady ooze, not a jet.
Just had the motor apart for no good reason other than being stuck in a 24hrs a day curfew. Blocked off the OPV, replaced the little O ring, checked the oil seal to the crank end, cleaned then cleaned again everything.

I did not take the pump off this time round but it was just fine last time I did.

Am I expecting too much? the bike runs nice and not too clattery on the top end.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: B44 Rocker oil
Dave Martin #804614 04/09/20 4:49 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Don't think there will be anything you could do to a B44 to get a "jet", a steady ooze sounds pretty good when compared to spurts. Most comments about top end are about how noisy they are...

Dave Martin #804619 04/09/20 5:53 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
There is a natural restriction on the rocker shafts, look at the size of the holes in the shafts under the rocker feed unions.

Dave Martin #804643 04/09/20 12:47 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Maybe you could try reverting back to the original setup using a take off from the oil return to the tank. The scavenge side of the oil pump has a higher capacity than the feed side and potentially may be able to better supply the rockers. This is especially true if you have a return oil filter fitted after the rocker feed take off as more pressure will be generated by the filter, potentially forcing oil to the rocker feed.

FWIW I'm using the original setup with an oil filter after the rocker take off, seems to be plenty of oil in my rockerbox.

1968 A65 Firebird
1967 B44 Shooting Star
1972 Norton Commando
Dave Martin #805014 04/12/20 2:17 pm
M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
Reciprocating rockers need far less lubrication that a rotating shaft, How often do you see anything wear out in the rocker box?
Mr Mike

Dave Martin #805019 04/12/20 3:05 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Yeah, I must admit I see no evidence at all of there not being enough oil up there, it is certainly wet, and to be honest the latest clean up and re seal does seem to get more oil being delivered. running without the inspection cover on did at least precipitate a leak. I was just wanting more, but as Sir Mick said "...you caint always get what you want".
Many moons ago I had an old ES2 and that pissed out oil from the rockers at a rate that would excite most of the minor Gulf States (combined), perhaps my expectation are over inflated..

Dave Martin #805029 04/12/20 3:55 pm
B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
Have my 69 VS since 1981 still used regular. Never any issue with rocker box internals, do have an oil cooler and remote OF. Been using Valvoline 60wt. VR-1 like forever. Other than regular service it has been bullet proof. 30mm R/S Kuni, BB ignition, Tympanium rect./reg. & gel electrolite YTX5 batt. my 67 yr.old non-electric leg/foot can still pop it off easy and quick!!

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership