BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
AML
AML
NYC & Upstate NY
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
1951 ES2 Magneto
#804004 04/04/20 3:48 pm
AriL Offline OP
Novice poster
OP Offline
Novice poster
Hello,
I hope that I find everybody well during these crazy times.
I have a 1951 Norton ES2 bike that I need a working Magneto for it.
Would appreciate your help locating a source for it.
Thank you and best regards!

Last edited by AriL; 04/04/20 3:49 pm.
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: 1951 ES2 Magneto
AriL #804134 04/05/20 11:12 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
This would generally be a Lucas Magdyno, I think an MO-1
I'll check the Lucas bible, be tomorrow.

You have nothing ?, a repairable core will often defray the cost.
They cost half an arm and a leg these days in pristine condition.
The generator on top adds extra.

[Linked Image from picclickimg.com]

You may also need the alloy bracket underneath it, unless your engine already has something.

1 member likes this: AriL
Rohan #804181 04/05/20 8:49 pm
AriL Offline OP
Novice poster
OP Offline
Novice poster
Dear Rohan,

Thanks for the information. I will appreciate if you could read the Lucas "Bible" for me...
I have the old magneto on the bike... the problem is that the bike is half around the world and I am not sure that it will be worth it to send it back and forth...

AriL #804206 04/06/20 1:50 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Ari,
I took some time to check the Lucas reference book for the correct MagDyno that was used on the 1951 ES2 used. It is as follows:
- Magneto section MO1L, part number 46029 A or B
- Dynamo - E3L, part number 20013 D thru J

Be careful when looking for one by simply quoting the application, because some of the earlier machines used mags that rotated clockwise, while the one you need is anti-clock.

As Rohan suggested, it is much less expensive to rebuild an existing MagDyno than to build one from scratch. However, if you can not locate one, I can build one for you from my stock. Or, I could restore one you might find.

... Gregg

Last edited by gREgg-K; 04/06/20 1:51 am.

Spyder Integrated Technologies
Lucas, BTH, & Miller Magneto & Dynamo Restoration
SMITHS Chronometric Restoration
[email protected]
AriL #804209 04/06/20 2:19 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Thanks Gregg, confirms my memories, and the Lucas bible agrees 100%.

I was going to suggest something like this one on UK fleabay - although you have no idea if its just been beadblasted.
That blue spark looks hopeful - it says it needs a rebuild. There are any number of ones there you could use as a core.
You will have to remove those 2 pegs underneath.
https://www.eBay.co.uk/itm/Lucas-MO1L-Magneto-Ariel-Bsa-Panther-Norton-Blue-Spark/153888687754

I bought a similar magdyno & generator a while back. It wasn't strictly the correct numbers one, but as long as it spins anticlock and has provision underneath for the 4 countersunk screws, it should be good to go.

By the time you purchase something and ship it, you may as well have just shipped your existing one ??
I'd also comment that few bikes really NEED a functioning generator, I've noticed that a total loss battery system is perfectly good, unless you intend to really do a lot of night riding ?

[Linked Image from i.ebayimg.com]

Moderated by  Dave Comeau 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership