BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
thundair
thundair
San Diego, Ca
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
maybe some joy, an update
#803334 03/29/20 9:59 pm
Richrd Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Ok, maybe I can see what you guys see in triples. I got the bike starting easy and running good, but......

Back in the begiing I had the clutch working fairly good, even did the first 5 miles with it. But then I pulled the other primary to look for an oil leak and could not get to release after that. I ordered the kit from that David p put in his bike but no luck.

whats happening is I adjust the rod according to directions, then take out the slack with the cable adjusters until I can pull the clutch and turn the wheel by hand. But it wont stay there. ride two blocks and it wont release again. I've been thru this three times now, I'm ready to video the process so maybe you can see what I'm doing wrong.

Rich (last remaining member ThreeMustGetBeers)
"It's not always about going fast. Sometimes it's nice to slow down" (Wendy E.2016)

69 bonney
72 commando
75 commando interstate
06 Suzu..Suzu.. uh appliance
couple of beesas a ducati
and the Snake Bike
and a Honda?
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: maybe some joy, an update
Richrd #803393 03/30/20 8:52 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Richrd
But it wont stay there.
We will need more details on what you have.

top hat pull rod or self centering (cone)
side thrust release bearing - must be fitted the right way around.
If you fitted it the wrong way then you would be forcing it apart when operating the clutch and wouldn't get the lift.

When you say "it wont stay there" - what changes ?
Does the big nut tighten or get slack ?
You seem to be able to re-adjust and go again - do you loosen the nut or tighten it ?

Richrd #803467 03/30/20 11:54 pm
Richrd Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
played with it again today, basically just ran all the adjusters all the way in and tightened the big nut as tight as I could. the clutch releases as it should and made it around the block fine. But the lever pull is very high. I need to look at the cable, but there's more to it than that.

"It's not always about going fast. Sometimes it's nice to slow down" (Wendy E.2016)

69 bonney
72 commando
75 commando interstate
and the Snake Bike
and a Honda?
Richrd #803598 03/31/20 11:52 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
It is too easy to get the pull rod off center to the thrust bearing when the actuator is removed. But this is usually followed by a loud clack as the pull rod finds the center of the bearing the first time you pull the lever. As you tightened the big nut fully, I'm sure this is not now the case.
After installing the modified actuator bearing I adjusted with the cable in place. The instructions with that kit are not really clear on the procedure, but I noticed that when tight the rod and nuts would spin just at the point of engagement. I slackened the nut until this stopped happening. I check the adjustment using the kicker, not the rear wheel.
You are correct to check your cable. My experience is that cables sold for T160 have a slightly longer inner cable, which can drive you nuts trying to adjust on a T150.

Stepping on others doesn't make you stand tall.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
Richrd #803657 04/01/20 1:21 pm
Richrd Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Since I generally make my own cables, what is the correct amount of "free play" or exposed inner cable if you have one to measure?
Thanks

69 bonney
72 commando
75 commando interstate
and the Snake Bike
and a Honda?
Richrd #803683 04/01/20 7:31 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
My 69 T-150 has a Barnett 4454 cable 53" outer 6" free cable at the P/cover been on there 15+ years clutch works fine

Richrd #803703 04/02/20 1:11 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Ditto that measurement. I have the cable which was on mine when I bought it, with the ridiculously tall US bars.
6" of cable from the end of the jacket to the end of the ball.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T150V "Wotan"
Richrd #804558 04/08/20 7:57 pm
Richrd Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
re-routing the clutch cable and a couple other little twists have the clutch pull livable. I do need to order a shorter cable.

I put the copper rocker box gaskets in and after 2 whole miles, no oil leaks yet.

The bike will be for sale, but I think the price will be quite high for a while, I think I like it.

69 bonney
72 commando
75 commando interstate
and the Snake Bike
and a Honda?
Richrd #804615 04/09/20 4:57 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I'm using Emgo bars with a 2 1/2" rise. As I remember the cable I bought has a 50" outside jacket.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T150V "Wotan"

Moderated by  Tridentman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership