BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
MikeG
MikeG
New Hampshier USA
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Fuel injecting a 67 Mustang
#802438 03/23/20 9:32 am
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Being a mechanic mostly what I do at work is pretty mundane, however my Boss knows I enjoy being left in the corner to get on with stuff so I quite often get the bigger jobs that come through the door. At the moment I have a 67 Mustang convertible that the owner wants modern electronic fuel injection fitted too. I did a similar conversion a couple years ago on a big block Impala and it changed the car from being an underivable POS to a real nice motor car.

Anyway I thought some of you may find it interesting. The system is made by FiTec and consists of a Throttle body/EFI unit that bolts too a standard four barrel manifold. It requires an external electric fuel pump, Air fuel ratio sensor and coolant temp sensor. Once fitted you can plug in the supplied hand held computer and enter the basic spec of the motor to determine the best pre loaded MAP for the system to run.

Starting with the ancillaries I require a fuel return, since the OE supply pipe is 5/16 and the new system requires 3/8 i repurpose the original pipe for the return but still require a fitting in the tank. The tank was drained and the sender removed, the tank was then drilled and a bulkhead fitting installed.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I had to drill the hole close enough to the sender hole for my fingers to reach.

A length of electrical cable was threaded through the fitting to make it easier to fit the sealing washer and nut to the other side. I was then able tighten the fitting using a flexible 3/8 ratchet and socket. Once secured the fitting requires a two foot length of hose attaching so that the fuel pump does not pick up aerated fuel form the return line.

Not an easy picture to take but it's in there! The original feed pipe was then re shaped to meet the new fitting.

One thing in my favour was that the original sender (aftermarket) already had a 3/8 diameter pick up pipe. I'm told big block cars used a 3/8 pick up while small blocks used 5/16. Either way I didn't have to change it.

Last edited by R Moulding; 03/23/20 9:34 am.

New, Genuine Lucas Motorcycle parts!

Insist on something else.
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Fuel injecting a 67 Mustang
R Moulding #802439 03/23/20 9:49 am
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Next up was the pump/filter assembly. Reading the instructions the pump needs to be mounted as best as possible in line with the lowest part of the tank and within two feet of the tank. The underside of a Mustang does lend itself well to this idea so mount had too be made. I folded up some scrap stainless I had in the shed at home and hung it from the floor behind the diff.

I could then attach the supplied 3/8 diameter fuel line to the pumps outlet and run it forward clipping it the original pipe.

With the excess hose coiled in the engine bay it was time to fit the air fuel ratio sensor. Only one is employed and is mounted in the header as per normal. A plate is supplied with a threaded boss. The header was drilled and the plate welded on using a scrap O2 sensor to protect the threads in the boss. This was when I found the stainless headers fitted were made from tube the thickness of fag papers, so I confess I had to fill and grind an extra hole I made!

Picture shows the new sensor fitted.

With that done it was time to whip off the carb and bolt the throttle body down. I don't know the size of the carb fitted but my guess is that someone went as big as they could thinking that would make the car faster.

I'm hoping to finish the plumbing, get it wired and running tomorrow before the country go's into lock down, but I suspect I'll be pulled off the job to get other stuff done.

Rod

R Moulding #802543 03/24/20 12:01 am
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Heck yeah. I’d love to do this to my 71 thunderbolt. I look around every year or two but can never find anything.

"Don't trust your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." - Mark Twain
R Moulding #802555 03/24/20 1:09 am
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Very nice work to have! And nice work done!

When singing "Kung Fu Fighting" is outlawed, only outlaws will sing "Kung Fu Fighting"
R Moulding #802584 03/24/20 7:35 am
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Interesting project. Standard ignition?

In my experience, a Holley four barrel carb is very usable on a V8, although the mpg is never good. Will you have an air/fuel ratio meter in the cabin? You can't have enough gauges!

R Moulding #802587 03/24/20 8:50 am
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Spent most of the day on the Mustang, I'll add some more pics tomorrow'ish. I needed to add the post filter to the supply line and hook it up to the throttle body. Then remove and block off the manual fuel pump and hook up the rest of the return line. That sorted the mechanical side of the installation it then just needed wiring. A stand alone harness is supplied and is a fairly straight forward fit once you decide where to hook up your power supplies to keep things neat. Obviously after telling me to mount the pump as close to the tank as possible the manufacturer then neglected to supply enough cable to actually reach the pump, so that was extended and run through some split tubing cable tied to the fuel line.

Once powered up a small hand held computer is attached to the throttle body. Set up gives you the option to select engine size in cubic inches, a 1-4 mild-wild selection for cam, desired idle speed etc etc. Then it's hit the key and hope for the best. Motor fired and ran with multiple miss fires, cured with a fresh set of plugs. Problem at the moment is not even the owner knows exactly what the motor is only that he thinks it's had lots off money spent on it! So I've been playing around to find the best set up I can. I've driven it before and been underwhelmed, was always rougher than a two dollar hooker, now it pins you pretty good into the seat and forces a decent grin.

Dibnah, ignition is a two wire electronic conversion currently running at 12 degrees. Yes, without question a 4 barrel is a good choice for a V8, however it require the person bolting it on to purchase it with his brain and not his private parts. General consensus seems to be the bigger the carb the faster you go so I quite often see over carb'd V8 that run like crap and owners that can't understand why and don't want to listen when you tell them to fit a smaller carb!

The computer comes with a dash mount and the owner can if he wishes wire it permanently and select from a list of gauges he can watch. AF ration currently sits a gnats cock under 14.

Rod

1 member likes this: franko
R Moulding #802844 03/26/20 8:42 am
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Well it's good news and bad. The Mustang is up and running but the charging system is not up to the task, turns out the Alternator would not charge below 2500 rpm so any time the engine sat ticking over dropped the battery voltage low enough to wipe the tune and return it to base setting. This meant that I suddenly started seeing very poor starting and strange readings from the on board dashboard. A simple fix will be an uprated Alternator but since we are locked down it will have to wait. I rang the owner and had him pop round the workshop yesterday, dropped a new battery in and sent him for a test drive, the smile as he pulled back in the yard made the big thumbs up superfluous and it's still not set up properly. It will apparently easily top 100 mph and will spin the wheels through second gear. Before if he gave it a boot full it would cough, splutter and die. He has never actually asked us to look at this!

So that it, we are joining the rest of world in lockdown for a minimum of 4 weeks. As necessary as I know it is, it sucks!

Rod

R Moulding #802860 03/26/20 1:00 pm
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Interesting stuff.
I'm also restoring a Mustang ('66 conv.) and installed an electric fuel pump.
I believe an electric pump is always a good idea for an old-timer.
Yours is probably a centrifugal pump, for fuel injection?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

R Moulding #802902 03/26/20 6:01 pm
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
That's a long "suck" for an electric pump Ludwig, is it below the level of the outlet from the tank?

R Moulding #802910 03/26/20 6:40 pm
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Nice job, Rod, and a well written explanation of the project. Once the Mustang owner starts talking to his friends, I have a feeling you will be very busy!

'64 TR6R Plus some Twins from other countries (U.S., Germany, Japan)
Dibnah #802929 03/26/20 8:22 pm
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by Dibnah
That's a long "suck" for an electric pump Ludwig, is it below the level of the outlet from the tank?
No longer than the std mechanical pump.
The advantage is that you swtch on the ignition and let the pump do the work.
No need to wear out the starter motor and empty the battery to fill the carb.
FI is of course a whole step further..

Last edited by ludwig; 03/26/20 8:23 pm.
R Moulding #802934 03/26/20 8:43 pm
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Hello Ray. So long as I can work out a way to make the job smoother I recon that would be good. The first one I did used a different fuel pump assembly essentially housed in a large accumulator, you can loose a morning working out how and where to locate the ancillaries before even starting work.

Ludwig, I meant to take a pic of the car it's also a convertible. Theres a picture on our website if your interested
https://jonesroadauto.co.nz/about/

Rod

ludwig #803006 03/27/20 7:24 am
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by ludwig

In my experience, replacement electric fuel pumps don't "suck" as well as OEM mechanical fuel pumps, although replacement electric pumps "blow" far better than OEM mechanical pumps. Your experience may vary.

ludwig #803019 03/27/20 11:58 am
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
most electric pumps tell you to mount it as close to the tank as possible. a rotary vane pump has to work harder to pull than a diaphragm type.

Originally Posted by ludwig

windy
72 combat
switchbackcreek.com

Moderated by  Alan_nc, Graham Ham 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership