BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
MikeG
MikeG
New Hampshier USA
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Mitigating the Virus
Semper Gumby #802788 03/25/20 9:09 pm
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
If you have ever seen anyone die from a suffocating illness you would be more cautious.... Asbestosis has a similar outcome as what doctors are describing this corona death is like and I DONT want it.... If there isnt a ventilator available when/if I need one, shoot me.... I watched my father slowly suffocate for months before he gave up .... I wont die that way.

http://wadeschields.tumblr.com/

Jack of all trades . Master of fun! wink

Beer is not the Answer.... Its the Question..... The answer is YES

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Semper Gumby #802790 03/25/20 9:25 pm
BritBike Forum member
Online Confused
BritBike Forum member
Hi i have seen some things from spain on tv ,god help us all .
Just keep safe its getting bad all over the world.

1 member likes this: wadeschields
JubeePrince #802810 03/26/20 12:05 am
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by JubeePrince
Originally Posted by Semper Gumby
don’t wipe your iPads and iPhones with Clorox wipes. The bleach will corrode the electronics. Lysol wipes are OK.

The Clorox wipes I have contain NO bleach. Pretty sure Lysol uses roughly the same active ingredients as Clorox with wipes. Perhaps slightly different percentages?

I've been wiping down my MacBook with Lyson wipes for well over a year (OCD much? :D) with no ill effects....

Steve

Thanks for reading the label for me. My company was quite specific about not using Clorox wipes. I believe Apple was too. Maybe it’s one of the other ingredients.

Nope Apple says it’s ok as of Monday.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/21/dis...one-screen-how-to-clean-phone-germs.html

Steve I’ve got both I will compare ingredients. The Clorox wipes are so much more obnoxious. I gassed myself out of a hotel room for couple of hours because of overzealous cleaning with Clorox wipes.

Last edited by Semper Gumby; 03/26/20 12:20 am.

"Don't trust your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." - Mark Twain
Semper Gumby #802813 03/26/20 12:24 am
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Also from the US epa...

https://www.epa.gov/pesticide-registration/list-n-disinfectants-use-against-sars-cov-2

Interesting list of approved cleaners. Also on page one are links to other COVID-19 resources.

Lysol Disinfecting Wipes have one active ingredient. Label says safe for laptops tablets and smartphones.

- Alkyl dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride. 0.26%

Clorox Disinfecting Wipes(3) actually say effective against human coronavirus

- Alkyl dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride. 0.184%
- Alkyl ethylbenzyl ammonium chloride. 0.184%

Fine print is hard to read. Read the label. To me Clorox was always meant bleach. Not so.

Last edited by Semper Gumby; 03/26/20 12:46 am.

1 member likes this: wadeschields
Semper Gumby #802833 03/26/20 3:38 am
BritBike Forum member
Online Happy
BritBike Forum member
the ingredient in Clorox wipes , that isn't bleach is a Quaternary Ammonium Compound
the labels often misspelled their ingredients as part of being a trade Secret .

read this page , it has it more than enough info
Quaternary Ammonium Compounds are near the bottom .

https://www.cdc.gov/infectioncontrol/guidelines/disinfection/disinfection-methods/chemical.html

Semper Gumby #802843 03/26/20 8:30 am
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
For safer motorcycling in plague areas:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Semper Gumby #802904 03/26/20 6:19 pm
DOPE
DOPE

every day you do not take a chance is a day of your life that you will never get back.
2 members like this: gavin eisler, Hugh Jorgen
Semper Gumby #802907 03/26/20 6:32 pm
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
I did wonder where everyone was getting their information. Good to know that there's a trusted source!!

Lannis

Do dogs see police dogs and think "Oh no it's the cops!"?
kevin #802908 03/26/20 6:35 pm
BritBike Forum member
Online Happy
BritBike Forum member

it will go down in history as the Great Ohio Toilet Paper Riot .
or just become the new-normal .

there is a sheriff's department in Oregon urging citizens
to stop calling 9-1-1 ... because they are out of toilet paper .

Last edited by quinten; 03/26/20 6:36 pm.
Semper Gumby #802909 03/26/20 6:39 pm
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
And some will believe it to be true

79 T140D, 96 900M Ducati ....On a bike you can out run the demons..
Hillbilly bike #802916 03/26/20 7:06 pm
BritBike Forum member
Online Happy
BritBike Forum member
And some will believe it to be true

youre right .

kevin #802925 03/26/20 7:48 pm
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Magnificent. You can leave comments as well!

Dibnah #803030 03/27/20 2:03 pm
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Hey Guys and Gals,

If your post doesn't have anything to do with Mitigating the Virus please keep posts like the last six over on MikeG's thread - The Virus.

This thread is for Tips and Techniques for remaining virus free.

Thanks.

SG

Semper Gumby #803034 03/27/20 3:10 pm
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Perhaps not mitigating...

Along with zero alcohol for three weeks now. (I really enjoy my beer and wine) But I have truly stepped up being a bit more healthy as of late. We all need to get into our best possible fighting condition and keep our immune system up.

The best tip of the day that I'm finding, along with great joy is, vitamin D. We have had some awesome sunny days in the 50-60's and stripping down a bit and laying on the lawn chair with a towel over my head and breathing the cool air with full sun warming the body has been a real treat. Great for mental health and may even help fight the virus. Who knows..

"Back in the garage with my [***] detector
Carbon monoxide making sure it's effective...
----THE CLASH-----

Semper Gumby #803035 03/27/20 3:22 pm
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Todays Tip - Stay home. Don't go out and become part of the problem.

I understand that the desire to Get Out is strong. Walks about the neighborhood. Visit to that remote trail. Please remember that everybody is thinking the same. My last time in North Georgia, every put in for the Appalachian Trial was pack with cars for half mile in each direction. The pictures I see at the hospitals of first responders shows people are covered head to toe with taped booties, leggings, its full body gear. The virus gets on every thing and is persistent. It remains viable for an hour or two in the air up to days on surfaces. And remember with all those people out and about the restroom facilities are closed. And if they were open you would not want to go in there anyway. So they are peeing somewhere in the woods and you might be standing in it. Too high a risk. It's akin to what little I remember of Hoof and Mouth outbreaks in England when I lived for time in Beaconsfield England as a child. Maybe a Brit can chime up and and tell us what That's like and what they did to Mitigate That Virus/Bacterium. There are pictures from that time in the 1960's make me shudder now

7) Going out should be planned and limited. One person from a household should be tasked with shopping for essentials no more than Once a week for the duration. I'm assuming groceries and pharmacy. Be aware of your quarantine rules. You do not want to become unwitting wards of the state because I bet the local jail does not follow proper social distancing guidelines. Right now I am subject to arrest of fine or both from 9pm to 6am 7 days a week. As we hit peak virus infection time this will probably change. Pay attention.

Consider the clothes you are going to wear out. I have light artificial fabric cargo pants with multiple pockets that are easily cleaned and less likely to retain the Virus should I come in contact with it. Consider a light wind breaker on top and wellies if you got em. As it gets warmer as we go into summer light gear is going to become essential. Wear a mask if you have one and some kind of hat. I would consider using shop gloves as well but remember these are use once and throw out unless you can wash them (Someone might want to talk about this if they have info). What your are trying to achieve is a greater level of impermeability. I don't know how natural woolins stack up in this department but I suspect they collect stuff just like hair does (see below)

Assume everybody has the virus and treat them accordingly with courtesy and from a distance. Remember: 6 feet is a minimum distance. If someone invades your space, separate stop and look them right in the eye. A complete motionless person staring at you is hard to ignore(?) They should get it immediately. If not you may have to warn them. How you do this is up to you. In Italy they were standing in line and going in one at a time to shop. I suspect we will soon be something like this.

If you can, consider only going to stores with self check out. A well meaning cashier and bag boy is an unnecessary risk. It's enough that its stacked by humans and handled by passersby. One of the pharmacies I go to has an outdoor window which I prefer. Some groceries will prepare an order for you to pick up if you give them it online. Be aware that there are scheduled hours for when this can happen. You are literally making an appointment where i'm at.

The person going out should be clean shaven. Facial hair in most cases with render your mask completely useless. Consider cutting your hair short. Hair is naturally dirty. It collects stuff. Women tuck long hair under a hat or consider some kind of hair net. (Any women might chime up about this and provide tips.)
Nurses in Wuhan shaved their heads clean. I saw pictures back in February.

I go in the store with a cart that I have wiped the handle of with a wipe in my pocket. Get my essentials and go to the self check. With the wipe I wipe the touch points and then any buttons i need to push i continue using the wipe to push buttons or icons on screens. If I use my right hand to do the credit card, i use my left to scan the items. My credit card is in its own pocket not my wallet. I insert at the right time and remove and wipe the card and return to the same pocket.

Stuff goes in trunk not on seats of my jeep. And home we go.

At home all items are removed bags at the door and wiped before entering the house. The bags stay outside. Wellies stay in their place in the garage or by the front door and all my clothes come off and go in the washing machine. I go up and take a shower gargle and nettie pot and put on fresh clothes for about the house or in the yard.

The person going out should probably sleep in his her own room.

There is a reason they call it a pandemic. Your results may vary.

Last edited by Semper Gumby; 03/27/20 3:27 pm.

rick e. #803036 03/27/20 3:23 pm
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by rick e.
Perhaps not mitigating...

Along with zero alcohol for three weeks now. (I really enjoy my beer and wine) But I have truly stepped up being a bit more healthy as of late. We all need to get into our best possible fighting condition and keep our immune system up.

The best tip of the day that I'm finding, along with great joy is, vitamin D. We have had some awesome sunny days in the 50-60's and stripping down a bit and laying on the lawn chair with a towel over my head and breathing the cool air with full sun warming the body has been a real treat. Great for mental health and may even help fight the virus. Who knows..

That's all good advice for staying as free as possible from any communicable diseases. Maybe they're habits that more people will get into.

Lannis

Semper Gumby #803037 03/27/20 3:27 pm
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
If you already have good levels of Vitamin D then more will not help or only by a small amount, but after a winter of little or no sun then extra vitamin D will help your immune system fight against respiratory viral and bacterial infections as you will be low in Vitamin D.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/vitamin-d-coronavirus#effect-on-immune-health

Last edited by kommando; 03/27/20 4:48 pm. Reason: predictive stupid text correction
Semper Gumby #803038 03/27/20 3:32 pm
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Todays Tip - Stay home. Don't go out and become part of the problem.

The person going out should probably sleep in his her own room.

There is a reason they call it a pandemic. Your results may vary.

Still no reason not to go out for a motorcycle ride. A few of us are planning a ride this coming Wednesday, weather permitting.

We'll tank up before we leave our houses, so no gas stations. Bring our own lunches, so no food stops except in an ourdoor park.

No handshakes or fistbumps, stay apart.

How can a ride with friends through the country wind and sunshine under those conditions hurt anyone? People are much more likely to be permanently damaged by social isolation and fear, I think ...

Lannis

Lannis #803040 03/27/20 3:42 pm
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by Lannis
Still no reason not to go out for a motorcycle ride. A few of us are planning a ride this coming Wednesday, weather permitting.

We'll tank up before we leave our houses, so no gas stations. Bring our own lunches, so no food stops except in an ourdoor park.

No handshakes or fistbumps, stay apart.

Lannis

Yes. But I for one feel guilty going out and riding when the rest of my family doesn't ride. My problem. Quarantine rules may preclude going out all together though making my ability to get to the mountains impossible. Plus the locals in North Georgia suddenly are not all that keen on us coming up to their neck of the woods. I suspect the local news is scaring the S##t out of them. My sainted Wife may tell me to go and that is another thing. Then I will call friends and make arrangements - maybe.

People are much more likely to be permanently damaged by social isolation and fear, I think ...Lannis
This is a real problem. We are doing church online. Except where once I was in the back of the church with the choir, now my pastor is right there on the screen. Leading. The first time I did Compline this last week....Zoom is a Godsend.

Last edited by Semper Gumby; 03/27/20 3:53 pm.

Semper Gumby #803043 03/27/20 4:27 pm
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Yes. But I for one feel guilty going out and riding when the rest of my family doesn't ride. My problem.

If I felt guilty about that I'd NEVER ride ... Fay and I and my son are the only ones in our families out to second cousins that would get on a motorcycle at the best of times!

Plus the locals in North Georgia suddenly are not all that keen on us coming up to their neck of the woods.

I wonder if that's really true. People who live in cities often think that the mountain hillbillies are waiting for them with axes and want them to squeal like a pig. I live in a rural locality and haven't sensed any of that.

People are much more likely to be permanently damaged by social isolation and fear, I think ...Lannis
This is a real problem. We are doing church online. Except where once I was in the back of the church with the choir, now my pastor is right there on the screen. Leading. The first time I did Compline this last week....Zoom is a Godsend.

You miss something when you're not actually together, as we found in business when we over-teleconferenced and found we had to meet. But now isn't the time to get 300 worried people in a room together!

Lannis

Lannis #803044 03/27/20 4:53 pm
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Lannis, I should have said Western North Carolina. Roads near Dragons tail either have been closed or are going to be closed to anybody but locals only.

https://tailofthedragon.com/category/dragon-news/

Couldnt find info on the Cherohala Skyway. The sites I saw are under "Band Width Limits". A new error for me to see

The only place I hear banjos is at the Blowing Rock Inn at the Gazeebo. smile

https://www.resortcams.com/webcams/blowing-rock/

Talked to Carol at TWOs of Suches today.

https://twowheelsofsuches.com/

She said the restaurant is closed till I think April 1st. That will probably extend. The camp ground is open. I asked her about local road closures and she mentioned that the town of Blue Ridge GA is closed to outsiders: locals only. And the Appalachian Trail is closed and part of the Blue Ridge Parkway is closed available to locals only. In the next week there will probably be more closures like this. So the welcome mat is being pulled abit slowly. Can't say I blame them. Their local hospital resources are not a big as Atlanta and Atlanta hospitals as of yesterday are at capacity.

Staying home may become the only option.

Last edited by Semper Gumby; 03/27/20 7:18 pm.

Semper Gumby #803067 03/27/20 7:03 pm
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
In Scotland all campsites/ trailer parks are closed.
My road into town was sublimely quiet, bike is set up for shopping, plus point, you can leave your lid on for shopping and going to the post office, i put some wipes in the tank bag, . Shopkeepers in Oban not masked, but have 2 m separation marks. The PM, health Secretary and Prince Charles have it, cracking start.

Vitamin D, fish is the best source, mushrooms have some, eggs have a tiny bit, 15 mins in the sun is best if no foods have it..

Last edited by gavin eisler; 03/27/20 7:06 pm.

71 Devimead, John Hill, John Holmes A65 750
56 Norbsa 68 Longstroke A65
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
The poster formerly known as Pod
gavin eisler #803070 03/27/20 7:13 pm
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by gavin eisler
<snip>Vitamin D, fish is the best source, mushrooms have some, eggs have a tiny bit, 15 mins in the sun is best if no foods have it..

Gavin Bless you. I am so glad you are taking this seriously. I hope my ramblings are useful.

I did an hour and a half cutting grass and pulling some Ivy. So I think I got my 'D for the day.'. Oi how hard it is to not touch your face while cutting grass! One package to go out. Getting ready. Tonight I put the Firebird motor back in the frame. Gotta get it done before the mosquitoes show again.

Last edited by Semper Gumby; 03/27/20 7:15 pm.

Semper Gumby #803072 03/27/20 7:37 pm
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Pray for rapid and timely testing. It would be so much better to be able to quarantine the sick rather than quarantining everybody.

Semper Gumby #803074 03/27/20 7:46 pm
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Thanks very much for all these suggestions, Semper Gumby. I have adopted many of the practices. My job has fortunately been deemed "essential" and I'm able to earn a living. My wife was to start a new job this week, her hiring has been at best postponed.
It is nice and quiet here. We are in central New York state near the Thruway, Amtrak/freight rail lines, and the flight path to Syracuse airport (20 miles east). Not so many planes and trains going by and the road noise from the Thruway is greatly diminished, as well as local traffic on our road.
Al

Al Eckstadt
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Alan_nc, Graham Ham 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership