BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
MikeG
MikeG
New Hampshier USA
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Today's Run
#802274 03/22/20 10:54 am
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Like everything else in my World, today's ride was sort of cancelled, it's the Pioneer today or WAS. The Old Timer's run to Brighton seaside where we'd enjoy fish & chips, a look around the 100+ yr old bikes. Then off to the Hand in Hand pub for a snifter, but that's all got kicked into touch.... frown

Some of the lads are going down there anyway, but they've not got the lovely Janette as a wife, and I've been banned in no uncertain terms.... shocked

So what to do...? Sit in the comfy chair and look at the magic lantern, with it's mind numbing so called Celebrity's doing mundane shyte, interrupted by constant advertisements for insurance for the over 50's, or someone trying to sell double glazing, or perhaps a car company trying to flog their latest offering. That I've got no interest in, or indeed want....

OR...

Go out into the fettling shed and resurrect Cochise, he's been asleep since around October, sat there waiting....

I'd gave it me best shot t'other day, and the bugger nearly killed me, with the amount of kicking I had to do, so today I went out there with some Anti-Virus spray, and partially stripped the Carb, gave it a bloody good spray, in all the places that had holes. And then boxed it back up, turned the fuel ON, gave it a priming kick, and the Bar Steward started second kick.... laugh

BLIMEY, who'd have thunk it, a Virus got into me Injun's Carb, so I walked over to the FORTY INCHER, and being a tough English type, THAT started FIRST kick as usual. Keeping in mind here dudes, the last person to ride the A10 was young Lannis, back in August.... grin

No need to fire up Albert, he's under orders to wait for the call up. And the Italian is also good, after he's new Champions.... thumbsup

So with bugger all to do now, I thought I'd press some buttons, if all y'all are bored shyte less, being confined to quarters, go and self isolate in your fettling shed, you'd be amazed at what you'll achieve. Why I wager we'll hear about a certain M21 being able to get all it's gears, or a certain V twin Matchless being built... wink

I'm from the SOUTH, the Deep South
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Today's Run
Kent Shaun #802282 03/22/20 12:58 pm
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
All good advice, that.

Got the grandchildren here this week, no social distancing from THEM, I can tell you, with a 7, a 6, and a 4-year-old climbing up and down Grandpa all day long, so my time in the shop has been limited to letting them climb all over the bikes, start up the ones with buttons, getting out some golf clubs and letting them try out their swings, and such as that.

Sold a bike last week (the red and white Guzzi SP went off to its new home in Canada), so have a bit of room and a few dollars play money, converted part of the shop to "preparation" storage of food and essentials (we could go 6 months here and not leave the property if the need arose), and plenty of room for the ones on the road and the ones on the bench.

Our usual monthly group rides have been cancelled, typical overreaction since there's no where safer from killer zombie viruses than "in the wind" on a motorcycle, especially if everyone just stands around at a mountain overlook chatting about bikes at the end of the ride, but noooooo ..... you're on your own.

Glad the A10 is happy, that's a nice solid old bike and did me right on the International ride, starts easy hot or cold, and handles and brakes well, glad to hear it's behaving. Since I started keeping a drum of non-ethanol, stabilised gasoline here at the house, and keeping that in my bikes all winter, I've had no problem with the "clogged up carburetor blues" ...

Lannis

Do dogs see police dogs and think "Oh no it's the cops!"?
Kent Shaun #802295 03/22/20 2:27 pm
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Canada eh Lannis lad, wouldn't be a lad from here abouts would it...?

I've got me a long long hankering to ride around Canada, no Doot Aboot it eh. ONE of these daze I'll be doing just that, I can feel it in me water.... thumbsup

So with the grand kids gone, and nothing else to do, get off this. Get over to that fettling shed, and self isolate out there till that gear box has all it's gears, otherwise you'll be saying, "I can't get out there I've got Hog bashing to do" or something similar.... facepalm

Kent Shaun #802299 03/22/20 3:50 pm
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Nope, grandkids are here for the next couple days ... their Mom is a nurse and she's working 16 hour shifts over t'hospital through Monday night (since some don't want to come in, she's covering their shifts) so the kids will stay with us a bit longer .... They're a lot of fun but there's nowt going on but them while they're here!

The new Canadian Guzzi owner is a guy I just met online, I had posted a picture of Fay and I on a trip on the old red-and-white "Coca Cola" SP1000, he took a fancy to it and convinced me he wanted it more than I did (since we have the Stelvio and the Triumph for that sort of work now), and he drove down and picked it up and is now happily making it like he wants it!

I had a guy out yesterday to give me a quote on heating and cooling the shop building, maybe that'll be just what I need in me old age!

Lannis

Kent Shaun #802345 03/22/20 7:57 pm
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Shaun>>If you are going to Canada the Paris National Rally is something worth trying to connect with! Thanks for posting always enjoyable!
https://www.cvmg.ca/ParisRally

Brian
Kent Shaun #802386 03/22/20 11:07 pm
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Sounds like a great fettling session ..... I was really looking forward to the quarantine business so I would have some time at the house and work on some bikes and clean up the barn and finally make Gerry's christmas present .... (Should be a nice piece of furniture if I can ever get to start it)

But no I am stuck in NYC editing Videos and helping Gerry learn how to teach children online.... She is starting to appreciate being in a classroom shocked

At least I am working and its about the only part of my job that I can do from home..... Probably take about a week to edit all of these and Gerry needs to be here for the fast internet BUT and thats a big but..... As soon as we can we will head out and hopefully work on some projects .... As long as they dont lock down the city ... That could mean locking down the tunnels and bridges , then I am not going anywhere.....

In the meantime we have vitamin C , bread and water , coffee and tea and lots of eggs. Plus a few bottles of Happiness

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

http://wadeschields.tumblr.com/

Jack of all trades . Master of fun! wink

Beer is not the Answer.... Its the Question..... The answer is YES

Kent Shaun #802431 03/23/20 6:33 am
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Royaloilfield lad, thanks for the heads up about that Canada bike show, BUT, and you'll notice that's a big but there dude. If, or should I say WHEN I gets me old bod over there, I'd be wanted to see the Larch, the Red Wood and the Mighty Scots Pine. Out there in the wilderness, riding some dirt road, visiting them strange named places. Goose Ring, or Moose Neck or whatever they're called... thumbsup

IF all this madness goes away, HOPEFULLY in November of this year, me and me lad the Prospect. Are going to ride Royal Enfields around North Thailand, and if that proves to be a success, there's plans afoot to ride Enfields in the Himalaya. So Canada might have to wait.... wink

Wade man dude, y'all will be OK ifn ya just take this shyte day by day, do NOT panic buy. There's plenty in the warehouses of the companies that produce what we need, panic buying makes a shortage of stuff, cos us truck drivers can't keep up with the bloody madness.... shocked

Just sayin'

Kent Shaun #802633 03/24/20 5:27 pm
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by Kent Shaun
Wade man dude, y'all will be OK ifn ya just take this shyte day by day, do NOT panic buy. There's plenty in the warehouses of the companies that produce what we need, panic buying makes a shortage of stuff, cos us truck drivers can't keep up with the bloody madness.... shocked

Just sayin'

Its not a fear of the shelves being empty. Here in NYC the liquor stores are open and considered "essential worker" along with grocery stores and pharmacies. So no panic .... What else do you need!! Even my Bike shop is unofficially open... BUT good Tom lad warned me that the liguor stores in PA have been closed for a week now.... The shelves are full but the door is locked.... That causes panic wink

Kent Shaun #802647 03/24/20 6:16 pm
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by Kent Shaun

Just sayin'

Hey, tell them OTHER folks, the ones that are hoarding hundreds of rolls of loo paper in their basements. STILL can't buy it around here, every time a truck shows up at the back of a store, there are 100 people waiting for it. One package per customer they say, so they bring their kids and friends and give each of them a $10 bill and leave with 10 packages to add to the 150 they have at home.

Stupid barstids.

And bring your mosquito repellent if you're tackling northern Canada in the summertime! Ol' Nick Adams can tell you what to bring!

Lannis

Lannis #802732 03/25/20 6:09 am
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
And because I do really like you Lannis & I would hate to see you without loo rolls.
Search for cleaning supply warehouses or building supplies warehouses in your area.
Most will still have pallets of bog roll but of course it will be the he-man hard stuff and you will have to buy it by the carton and you might need to have a tax number .
That is 144 rolls for small rolls & 10 rolls for the jumbo stuff.
I was in a couple on Friday and they all had bog roll .
The TV is hyping up what the supermarkets do not have so people who are not thinking will keep trolling supermarkets rather than thinking who else might have stock .
Same story with cleaning solutions, why chase around tryin to buy very expensive 12oz bottles when you canget a 4 / 5 gallon drum for 1/3 the price per oz .

Bike Beesa
Trevor
1 member likes this: wadeschields
Kent Shaun #802739 03/25/20 8:19 am
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Some anecdotal posts in UK over last 24 hrs that supermarket shelves are back to normal in parts of the UK, will know more tomorrow evening after a shopping trip.

BSA_WM20 #802754 03/25/20 12:57 pm
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by BSA_WM20
And because I do really like you Lannis & I would hate to see you without loo rolls.

The TV is hyping up what the supermarkets do not have so people who are not thinking will keep trolling supermarkets rather than thinking who else might have stock .

Really? The TV is hyping stuff up? Misrepresenting the true state of things?

Who woulda thunk it? Wait .... you don't suppose they'd do that for any OTHER issues, do you? Naw, who would do something like that ... ?

Lannis

Kent Shaun #802791 03/25/20 9:35 pm
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Back to reality - My #shelterin meal today is an international one .... A Vermont Ale in an English Proper Job glass and a little homemade Pizza .. Gluten Free Traders Joe's cauliflower crust is pretty tasty ....

Kent Shaun #802796 03/25/20 10:18 pm
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Making me hungry! and thirsty!

When singing "Kung Fu Fighting" is outlawed, only outlaws will sing "Kung Fu Fighting"
Kent Shaun #802848 03/26/20 10:43 am
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Went early instead of late, new rules for shopping, only so many allowed in at a time so you wait in line, 1 out and 1 in. Inside there is a one way system so you can't double back and breech distancing rules, but you can overtake ? Shelves are fine for food but cleaning product shelves are bare, toilet rolls are there now but will not last the day.

kommando #802868 03/26/20 2:16 pm
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by kommando
Shelves are fine for food but cleaning product shelves are bare.

Thats the way the city is too... Although Deli's toilet paper shelves are over flowing.... No Lysol or rubbing alcohol to be had anywhere.

Kent Shaun #802883 03/26/20 4:00 pm
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Would Everclear 190 proof work or how about Denatured Alcohol from the hardware store?

Kent Shaun #802899 03/26/20 5:55 pm
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Denatured Alcohol works even diluted with some water but not much like Scotch wink .

kommando #802913 03/26/20 6:57 pm
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by kommando
Shelves are fine for food but cleaning product shelves are bare, toilet rolls are there now but will not last the day.

People with 100 rolls of toilet paper at home knocking each other down to get 8 more.

I think I bought 12 rolls back in February; just counted and we have 5 left. What are these idiotic, panicking people doing it for? Is this the way people are reacting to this virus, with moronic, greedy behavior that has nothing to do with a virus, nothing to do with a shortage, they're all about GIBSMEDAT?

No wonder people are spinning out of control. If their toilet-paper actions don't make sense, what about the "real" issues?

Me personal, I'm hoping that I can talk the VBMC ride leaders into still having our April 1st British Bike ride. We can just ride through the countryside and stay 6' apart. Might be a little hard to help someone who breaks down; maybe we can throw wrenches to each other after we wipe them down ... !

Lannis

Kent Shaun #802917 03/26/20 7:07 pm
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Not just toilet paper, ammo is in short supply from what I read.

Zimm #802922 03/26/20 7:21 pm
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by Zimm
Not just toilet paper, ammo is in short supply from what I read.

Not all of it.... I just ordered a case of 6.5 x 55MM for my Swedish Mauser and it shipped same day. More common calibers are probably low, though. More panic! Is ANY large group acting reasonably?

I hope so. I'll miss seeing the Old Brits At Home out on them muddy lanes, stopping in those Olde Wolde pubs ... there's as much therapy in that as there is in a quart of chlorydoxychlorodyne or whatever it is!

Lannis

franko #803017 03/27/20 11:34 am
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by franko
Would Everclear 190 proof work or how about Denatured Alcohol from the hardware store?

Water and chlorine is fine.
Apparently the standard chlorinated swimming pool water will knock the virus over.
We had a virologist on the radio a few days back suggesting the swimming is a good way to stay healthy provided you got out of the water & went strait home then had your shower.
Doubt that there would be shortage of pool chlorine.

Bike Beesa
Trevor
Kent Shaun #803057 03/27/20 6:28 pm
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Good idea, but I think our indoor pool is closed.
It's weird. Last week there was no TP at the IGA, but plenty at the Dollar General.
Likewise, there was no distilled water at one Dollar general, but plenty at the other. I'm not hoarding just changing the antifreeze in my van.
I saw on the news today that some woman in Knoxville went ballistic at Food City when they told her that she could buy only one gallon of milk.
Plenty of beer and the shelves at the liquor store are full. I'll sterilize from the inside.
beerchug

Stepping on others doesn't make you stand tall.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
Kent Shaun #803211 03/28/20 9:58 pm
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Yes when this is all done & dusted there will be a million psych degrees done corelating till rolls with posts on social media and news broadcasts.
Dunny rools are still in short supply down here despite one factory having shipped the equivalent of 50 rolls for even man woman & child in the country this month .
And we have 2 more factories & a rerolling plant .

One day bread was not to be found anywhere , again silly as we bake 7 days a week and there is no shortage of flour .
On thursday there was no sugar or milk .
On Friday it was eggs
All products where we over produce .

One funny thing is there was no flour either except for the gluten free stuff where the shelves would be lucky to have 1 pack missing.

Bike Beesa
Trevor
Kent Shaun #803220 03/28/20 10:58 pm
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
A friend ordered a pizza delivered last Sunday. The place sent along a roll of Toilet paper and a bottle of Corona beer.
Marketing with a smirk.

Moderated by  Alan_nc, Graham Ham 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership