BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Peter Quick
Peter Quick
Jaffrey, NH, USA
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OIF Question
#802832 03/26/20 3:36 am
Bruce Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Hi folks,
I have a question for any of you OIF owners out there. My 71 Lightning build is coming along again finally (after a looong lay off) but I am having a problem remembering if there something that is supposed to bolt up to the front of the airbox. I have the airbox mounted around the frame tube and bolted down but I noticed there are three holes in the front that are begging for something to be bolted up to them. One hole is dead centre where the two halves join and the other two are slightly lower, one on each half. Now I have had other OIF models in the past but for the life of me I can't remember if any of them had something bolted up there. I checked the parts book and don't see anything and I have looked at my remaining parts and don't see anything there either. I can't see the holes being left open to the airbox. Any ideas???

Thanks in advance.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: OIF Question
Bruce #802835 03/26/20 5:00 am
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
I can't really visualise it from the description, sorry.
Could you try to post a picture?

From memory, there are the 2 or 3 small diameter (3/16"?) holes through both halves where they are bolted together, and the large hole at the front of each half for the rubber hose which connects the carb to the air box.

Bruce #802837 03/26/20 6:15 am
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Yes, there are two small holes (2BA or #10 screws and nuts) in each half for bolting the two halves together.
However, from your description I'm thinking that yours has holes in the front of the box. Perhaps PO had an aftermarket rectifier/regulator mounted there?

Stepping on others doesn't make you stand tall.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
1 member likes this: Allan G
Bruce #802981 03/27/20 3:05 am
Bruce Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Yes they are in front of the box. I was thinking more about it last night and I think these holes are not stock. It has been 2 decades or more since I bought this BSA in a Box and the more I think about it I seem to recall that one of the things in the box was an aftermarket oil filter so I am now thinking this is where it was mounted. Makes sense as it would have room and access to oil lines in that location. I have installed a Norton type spin on filter in another location already so think I will just plug of these holes with little rubber bungs of some sort.
I can't figure out how to post pictures as it keeps asking for a url address??

Bruce #803003 03/27/20 5:04 am
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
There were no holes on the front of the airbox other than the carb holes. The inter connect screws for the halves are inside the airbox. Better to get sucked into the carbs that way.

1 member likes this: NickL
DMadigan #803011 03/27/20 8:14 am
BritBike Forum member
Online Happy
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by DMadigan
There were no holes on the front of the airbox other than the carb holes. The inter connect screws for the halves are inside the airbox. Better to get sucked into the carbs that way.

Probably why the WSM suggests to remove the air box without splitting the halves, the factory probably lathered those screws in loctite to stop them coming loose 🤔

beerchug

(Display name changed for cyber security reasons)

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership