BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Geoff
Geoff
Westfield, Indiana, USA
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Been a long time
#802792 03/25/20 9:43 pm
Mr Mike Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Been away from the site for so long. I am down to one bike these days, my 71 B50.
All the others have new owners. I went to the back of my shed today, moved a few things out of the way, uncovered the beast and walked it to the doorway. Its been idle since last summer. I began rehearsing my starting drill in my head so as not to forget a single step. Otherwise it is a long afternoon. There was no oil on the dipstick but also no spots where the bike was parked. It's all in the sump. Didn't bother to drain it. Checked the gas tank and added a gallon. Held the tickler down for 30 seconds to fill the empty carbutettor bowl. Flooded it profusely. Kicked the motor over using the compression release a few times with the throttle open. Flooded it again with the tickler. Turned the motor to TDC, touched the compression release, and eased it over till the exhaust vale springiness could be felt. Turned on the ignition, returned the kickstart to the top, closed the throttle and gave it a healthy kick. Ka...put, ka....put, ka....put on the first kick. I was thrilled for the bike and for me for remembering how to do this. It took several minutes at idle to get all the oil back up in the frame where it showed on the dip stick. Took is for a ride and put her back in the shed. My resurrection of this $250 purchase in several boxes of parts many years ago, is all that is left of 50 years of riding and fixing these old bikes. While my life with these motorbikes is nearing it's end, I'll likely keep this beast just to show the kids in the neighborhood, I can still ride one. Don't know why I ever got stuck on BSA but it seems they were most available back in the day and they were cheap because they all needed fixing.

Glad to see a bunch of you are still getting in your 2 cents. I have traded posts with many of you.

Cheers,
Mr Mike

3 members like this: kommando, Mitch, bodine031
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Been a long time
Mr Mike #802795 03/25/20 10:07 pm
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Good to hear from ya!! stay healthy & safe

Mr Mike #802822 03/26/20 3:01 am
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Mike I was sitting in my shop just today, looking at the Beezers and wondering which I could sell first. The one I've had 46 years? The one I've had for 45? The one my old friend bought 45 years ago? The B33 I love, but haven't gotten very shiny yet? You know what I mean.

Mr Mike #802828 03/26/20 3:19 am
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Welcome back Mr Mike! I have a 72 B50 sitting in boxes in the basement waiting until I finish my 71 lightning project.

Mr Mike #802847 03/26/20 10:43 am
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Hey, Mike!
Long time- Think about you and the green b50 occasionally. A 73 b50 found me and is now a race bike. Should be on the track this weekend but for the current nastyness. Hope Lila and you are well.

Mr Mike #802852 03/26/20 11:57 am
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Mr. Mike, Thanks for the story! While I still have my bikes, one of them for 50 years, and I'm not looking to sell, I can see it coming. PRT

Mr Mike #802853 03/26/20 12:05 pm
DOPE
DOPE
my oldezt relationship is 43 years on my T120

every day you do not take a chance is a day of your life that you will never get back.
Mike Baker #802900 03/26/20 5:55 pm
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by Mike Baker
Hey, Mike!
Long time- Think about you and the green b50 occasionally. A 73 b50 found me and is now a race bike. Should be on the track this weekend but for the current nastyness. Hope Lila and you are well.

73? that may be the very last one out of the factory before they turned off the lights. I wonder what the very last serial number is for BSA? That and #0001 may be most valuable

Mr Mike #802948 03/26/20 10:32 pm
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
hey Mike. I too think about ya, Hard not to when that a65 is always in the way. That damn thing could three kicks to start this spring! first time it hasnt started on one.

Also have a digital picture frame in the living room with a bunch of tsmr pics on it so you know I still see your ...... face.

Rich (last remaining member ThreeMustGetBeers)
"It's not always about going fast. Sometimes it's nice to slow down" (Wendy E.2016)

69 bonney
72 commando
75 commando interstate
06 Suzu..Suzu.. uh appliance
couple of beesas a ducati
and the Snake Bike
and a Honda?
Mr Mike #802956 03/26/20 11:41 pm
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Well, that is great you got it to fire first quick. Must be a nice feeling. I know how rare that is to be able to get a B50 started first kick. I'm also on 50+ years of riding, still with a garage full of mostly British bikes I continue to ride, and so was my dad on 50+ years of riding, right up to the weekend before he passed; he passed in the late 1980's, still in possession of his bought-when-new '71 B50SS Gold Star, which replaced his B44 Shooting Star Victor Roadster. He was definitely a single guy. I always encountered problems starting his B50, which had a auto spark advance problem making it truly a pill to start. Glad you figured yours out so well! Hang on to that, it is obvious you still enjoy having it and thinking about it, even if you aren't still riding it regularly.

Mr Mike #802957 03/26/20 11:43 pm
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Hey Mike. I too have had some sobering thoughts lately about the forum and biking in general. I may be one of the oldest forum members, dating back to about 1995 when it was called the "BSA Motorcycle Pit Stop". I was working for IBM then and we had internet at our desks before I even had a computer at home. Anyway, it occurred to me that twenty-five years have passed since then, and many of us are reaching the age when we start to think about "lightening our loads". I have my one A65 bitsa now that is, thankfully, in good running condition, because I don't think I have it in me to do another build. I sense that you feel kind of the same way about your B50. (BTW, from your description of pulling off the cover, gassing it up, and kicking it, I'm guessing that it's battery-less. Good idea for a bike that sits idle for long periods of time.) I've given my '67 Lightning (my pride and joy for 28 years) to my son, who's doing a bang-up job of restoring it.

Not sure where I'm going with this, except to say, keep on keepin' on, as long as we can, and try to pass the torch to younger enthusiasts.

Take care,

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
Mr Mike #802958 03/26/20 11:51 pm
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Well Mike, it's a well known fact in the medical world that anyone who has been working on BSA's for more than 20yrs undoubtedly has an advanced case of "Beezer Blood". It's an infusion of oil and gas fumes into the normal blood stream. Just as the oil in these old bikes will eventually find it's way to the sump when left sitting for extended periods, so it is with those affected with "Beezer Blood". The only known cure for this malady is to fire up the old beast and take it out for at least a short putt. Not only will this restore the oil to it's proper place in the bike (the oil tank) but it will also result in the normal flow of "Beezer Blood" throughout the body of the affected rider ( the effects of which can be determined by feelings of joy and exhilaration).
So hang on to that B50 Mike.....it's an important part of maintaining a good health regimen ! smile

Best,
Phil

Mark Z #802959 03/26/20 11:56 pm
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by Mark Z
Hey Mike. I too have had some sobering thoughts lately about the forum and biking in general. I may be one of the oldest forum members, dating back to about 1995 when it was called the "BSA Motorcycle Pit Stop". I was working for IBM then and we had internet at our desks before I even had a computer at home. Anyway, it occurred to me that twenty-five years have passed since then, and many of us are reaching the age when we start to think about "lightening our loads". I have my one A65 bitsa now that is, thankfully, in good running condition, because I don't think I have it in me to do another build. I sense that you feel kind of the same way about your B50. (BTW, from your description of pulling off the cover, gassing it up, and kicking it, I'm guessing that it's battery-less. Good idea for a bike that sits idle for long periods of time.) I've given my '67 Lightning (my pride and joy for 28 years) to my son, who's doing a bang-up job of restoring it.

Not sure where I'm going with this, except to say, keep on keepin' on, as long as we can, and try to pass the torch to younger enthusiasts.

Take care,

Mark -

Same here; like you, I'm trying to be realistic about things and not sad and morbid. There's no situation more pitiful and hard to deal with than an older relative that will NOT admit that they cannot do what they used to do, like take care of themselves while living alone.

If you were to ask them "Do you think that you will live in this body forever?" they will say "No of course not!" .... but they can't bring themselves to really believe that, because they LIVE as if they see no reason that anything should change in their lives or their hobbies as the years go by, and hold on to their old, no-longer-possible life kicking and screaming and accusing people of trying to "get rid of them".

I have no idea how much longer I have on bikes ... I know guys in their mid-80s that are still safely riding; I suspect that my balance and leg strength will not last that long, but who knows? Everyone needs a plan ... Fay and I just update our wills to make sure everything's sorted for the next generation. As far as "Passing the Torch", I got one boy grabbing for it already! There have been hints that indicate which bikes I should NOT sell off when I quit riding ... !!!

Lannis

Do dogs see police dogs and think "Oh no it's the cops!"?
Mr Mike #802961 03/27/20 12:03 am
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
hey lannis, is that the same "boy" I keep seeing on weird green machine?

Not that I am making any excuses but we just installed e starts on three nortons. not an age thing, you just have to weight at least 200 pounds to kick a norton.

Rich (last remaining member ThreeMustGetBeers)
"It's not always about going fast. Sometimes it's nice to slow down" (Wendy E.2016)

69 bonney
72 commando
75 commando interstate
06 Suzu..Suzu.. uh appliance
couple of beesas a ducati
and the Snake Bike
and a Honda?
Mr Mike #803047 03/27/20 5:35 pm
Mr Mike Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Richard,
My missus asks about you from time to time. I am glad the A65 still runs good. I tried to apply everything I learned on this site when I did the bottom end, head and cylinders on that bike..

Linker,
I like the singles most of all. The B50 can run with the twins. I spent a whole winter one year perfecting the starting sequence. Gotta have everything right on the B50 to start it. I had a B44 Roadster, a Victor, and a B25 before that. These old bikes hold something for us older guys. Kinda like a 55 Ford or a 57 Chevy....hard not to like em.. I am glad to see this site is still active with the same old problems being fixed by some newer folks getting into these old bikes. I'll keep the B50......it will go on the blocks at my estate sale.

Lannis,
I thought I would have anxiety when I sold the B44 but there were no regrets. A British guy bought the bike and intends to bring it back to England when his work assignment in the US is completed. He was thrilled. I also separated myself from a frame and numerous engine parts. Sailboats have sort of taken the place of the bikes. When I fix a sailboat it stays fixed....not always the case with a BSA.

I don' know how many years I will stay here on the water. The storms are more frequent and putting up all that plywood during the season and cleanup is not getting easier. I have had a good run with the bikes and the water but don't see myself getting comfy on the couch yet. I looked around a bit for an old Alfa to replace the one I sold to make tuition back in 63. They go for $50G's now so that is off the table. My grand daughter is getting ready to drive. She wants an old VW beetle. That would be a great project as I have had a bunch of them over the years but they are not a very safe vehicle. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Hope you, Fay and the boys are doing well as well as those grand babies.

Have a good day!

Mr Mike

Last edited by Mr Mike; 03/27/20 7:13 pm.

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership