BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Peter Quick
Peter Quick
Jaffrey, NH, USA
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Last stages of my restoration
#802293 03/22/20 2:14 pm
jfligg Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
I am in the final stages of my restoration a 1956/7 DB Goldie. I have some questions. First how is the wiring that goes to the tail light secured under the fender. Next question what size of bolts are used to attach the primary case to the engine case. I looked on a suppliers website and they were 7.24 each. Seems pricey for 3 bolts. Thanks more questions to follow Thanks Jeff

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Last stages of my restoration
jfligg #802347 03/22/20 8:07 pm
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Hi Jeff,
The primary case bolts are 5/16 x18 originally Whitworth thread form, the bolt heads are drilled for lockwiring
From memory (poor) the bolts have a reduced hexagon??
UNC bolts or Allen screws suitably drilled can be substituted
Draganfly in UK list 67-4028 @£2.20 (ex VAT) each

John

jfligg #802414 03/23/20 2:52 am
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
On my 56/7 DB, the wiring goes through a hole in the fender at a point behind the battery. It then bends up, and is held in the center of the underside of the fender by three spot welded in place bridge loops, ( a strip formed into a half round shape with the ends folded out to form the spot weld ears. Think cross section of a bowler hat) and a half loop formed in the mud guard bridge, #42-6832. The loops are spaced evenly between the entry and exit holes. If you have an after market fender, the loops might not be sport welded in place.
The wire bundle is snaked through the loops, and exits the underside of the fender through a hole under the tail light housing.

JR

Last edited by Jerry Roy; 03/23/20 2:54 am.
jfligg #802508 03/23/20 8:22 pm
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Jeff: Given how the bike looks so good so far, I am looking forward to seeing the finished project. The NOS rear I have is as Jerry describes with the three little welded in loops down the middle of the fender. Hard to duplicate but you could pop rivet some in where they would not show.

Gordo

The roadside repairs make for the best post ride stories.
jfligg #802569 03/24/20 3:02 am
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Hi Jeff,

This is an original fender from a 57' GS.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Cheers,
Rick

73' Trackmaster T140
69' Lightning
69' Victor
66' Royal Star - Watsonian
58' GS Scrambler
58' Super Rocket
54' Golden Flash
Rickman Zundapp
jfligg #802576 03/24/20 4:41 am
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
cheer to all I just made the loops out of sheet metal and then spot welded them on. I will post a few snap shots when the fender comes back from the chrome shop. I got the fender not chromed as it did not have the loops welded on it. I got the fender from Auto Cycle in UK . hunter

bsahatch #802760 03/25/20 4:37 pm
jfligg Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Thanks for the reply’s. my problem is that my fender came from auto cycle chromed so I can’t weld anything onto the fender. I don’t think jb weld will hold. Jeff

jfligg #802774 03/25/20 7:13 pm
BritBike Forum member
Online Happy
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by jfligg
Thanks for the reply’s. my problem is that my fender came from auto cycle chromed so I can’t weld anything onto the fender. I don’t think jb weld will hold. Jeff

use the fenders rolled edges to hold some full radius metal strips on the under side , like a partial fender liner .
the strips of metal can be sprung in at an angle
and wedged in place at 90 degs... or slid in from where the edge roll starts ... like a series of sheet-metal croquet-wickets
they need to have some width to stay in place , as wire wickets wont stay in place if the bike is used .
the harness can wire tied to the bottom of the wickets ,

Last edited by quinten; 03/25/20 9:17 pm.

Moderated by  Rich B 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership