BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Kenny
Kenny
Oklahoma
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
LED Headlight Bulb
#801440 03/15/20 7:56 pm
mrcarb Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Has anyone here been using the LED headlight bulb for an A65? Do they work well? Does the parking light in the headlamp still work?

Thank you in advance.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: LED Headlight Bulb
mrcarb #801460 03/15/20 8:57 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
i use a led headlight (H4) for 3 years now (and more than 20 thousand miles) no problem, bright light, low battery use - the parking light has a separate bulb, you can also use a led one if you want -

the only problem with led H4 is the size, it needs a radiator and some electronic to work. The one i got has a separate box containing some electronics (size of two matchboxes) you need to find some place in the headlight for it.

See my pics on my instagram RokploPhotos
mrcarb #801599 03/16/20 5:13 pm
Parts Dealer
Parts Dealer
If you plan on using the 446LED or H4LED yes your other bulbs will work fine..

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
mrcarb #801738 03/17/20 10:07 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I havent used personally but i know a guy who is using an LED on some vellocette .venom .........its like turning on the sun and very small amperage draw compared to the regular BPF bulbs he is delighted with it ..........he got one that fitted straight in in 6volt so should be easy to find a 12v one for A65

"There's the way it ought to be and there's the way it is" (Sgt Barnes)
mrcarb #801771 03/18/20 5:00 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I use one on my T120. Good light, no heat sink, and it cost very little on FleaBay.
BUT, it is common negative only.

Stepping on others doesn't make you stand tall.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
mrcarb #801810 03/18/20 4:25 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I never got back with my experience with a sealed-beam LED headlamp. The light was very bright, current draw low, but... it failed after a few weeks of use. Disassembly revealed that a small component had broken off the circuit board. My boss thinks it can be fixed, but it's been on the back burner for a year. In the meantime, I re-installed my automotive sealed-beam incandescent headlamp.

From everything I've heard, the LED BULB sounds like a better idea, but you have to have a lens and a reflector, which I did not have. And I believe CBS supplies bulbs for positive or negative ground systems.

FWIW, my main motivation for "going LED" was to alleviate a charging problem I was having. In the meantime, I replaced my alternator rotor and stator, and now the charging is up to snuff, even with the conventional headlamp.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership