BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
GrandPaul
GrandPaul
Leander (Central) Texas, USA
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Phosphor Bronze Valve Guides?
#800519 03/09/20 7:52 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Hello,

I have a quick question.I have been browsing for valve guides and came across (steadfastcycles) valve guide set that is made of a Phosphor Bronze.

Here are their claims:

"These guides are Phosphor Bronze which is the best material to use for guides on these Classic Bikes. Silicon Bronze which is the next grade up tends to wear out the valve neck so we stay away from it. With these bikes the Phosphor Bronze offers better lubrication and they live better in the aluminum heads." There are many opinions on this subject but this is our information after 30 years of testing in many different environments, and conditions. Our tolerance on these guides is tighter and more accurate than many of the other leading suppliers, (the hole is closest to center than any other guide available)."

Does anybody have any opinions or experience with these

Thanks

Last edited by Jaybird79; 03/09/20 7:55 pm.
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Phosphor Bronze Valve Guides?
Jaybird79 #800521 03/09/20 7:56 pm
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
They don’t last very long in a road going Triumph twin.

I get much better service from cast iron guides. The modern aluminium bronze guides may be better still: I don’t know.

Amateur Loctite enthusiast.
Jaybird79 #800530 03/09/20 8:54 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
There are many different materials available for guides these days, as well as valve (stems) themselves. Which works best with what is worthy of a PhD thesis.
Other considerations such as lubrication (or not) and rocker geometry/condition of rocker to valve tip surface would need to be factored in.

Another factor is that bronze expands with temperature closer to that of alloy, reducing the possibility of the guide becoming loose in the head. This is a major pain when it happens.
An iron guide in an alloy head should have a tighter interference fit than a bronze guide requires.

I didn't see which particular engine being discussed, but if it happens to be a 650/750 with alloy head, I've exclusively used bronze guides for decades.
The only time I experienced rapid guide wear was when I used some valves which I can only describe as made of crap. The tips of the valves developed deep depressions at the contact areas with the rocker pins. It's easy to appreciate how this would exert excessive fore/aft force on the valve tips.
That isn't usually so extreme a problem, and there are different adjuster tips available (though I've not used them).

Just thoughts.

Jaybird79 #800546 03/09/20 10:43 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Problem is with good aluminium or silicon aluminium bronze guides, finish honing has to be done rather than reaming.
Most blokes don't have a guide hone in their tool kit but will have a guide reamer. This rules out doing a diy guide job using
PM or the latest MAP guides, either of which are excellent material. Some guys swear to having guides lined, but not
having any experience with that or knowing what material they use i can't comment, other than the fact the original guides
must be very trusted in the head before considering this option. The use of better materials does allow closer fits for the valves
as well as giving better heat transfer and longevity, whether any of these matter to you is about what the bike is used for.

Jaybird79 #800549 03/09/20 11:03 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
https://www.fagengine.com/pages/cylinder-head-rebuilding
He also sells the parts and is in N Hollywood if that is close to you. It's worth the trip just to see the shop.

1968 T120R
1972 T120RV
Any advice given is without a warranty expressed or implied.
Jaybird79 #800575 03/10/20 2:33 am
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Thanks for the reply's.For those wondering I have a unit 500.The bike is a regular street bike.I do have new stock cast guides and valves but was thinking about using bronze instead. I know many say KPMI is the best you can get but seen these for sale and wanted to see if there was any input on them.

triton thrasher #800579 03/10/20 3:38 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by triton thrasher
I get much better service from cast iron guides.
I only ever tried one set of cast guides - everyone warned me that they will grab a valve - and they were right. I went back to bronze as soon as I got home. I admit I was on a long ride [10 hours+], on a hot day, loaded up with tent, swag, saddlebags etc, and doing a consistent 120-130km/h, not sure if this contributed?
Never had it happen with bronze.

tridentt150v #800593 03/10/20 6:36 am
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by tridentt150v
Originally Posted by triton thrasher
I get much better service from cast iron guides.
I only ever tried one set of cast guides - everyone warned me that they will grab a valve - and they were right. I went back to bronze as soon as I got home. I admit I was on a long ride [10 hours+], on a hot day, loaded up with tent, swag, saddlebags etc, and doing a consistent 120-130km/h, not sure if this contributed?
Never had it happen with bronze.

There’s a correct clearance for any of the combinations of valve and guide materials. Too tight and it sticks.

Amateur Loctite enthusiast.
Jaybird79 #800598 03/10/20 7:06 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
When I did the head on my Trident I got those guides from Steadfast and used a Kibblewhite hone to size them.
So far, so good, but I haven't covered a lot of miles on that engine yet.
Their guides also have a notch on the outside for oil seals if you've a mind to use them.

Stepping on others doesn't make you stand tall.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
Jaybird79 #800609 03/10/20 9:05 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I think the triples and unit 500’s rely a lot on the top end to get clean reliable power.

I wouldn’t be pinching pennies on the top end of those motors.

The long stroke 650’s are different.

'51 C11 in a '54 C10L frame. Back on the road...
'70 Triumph Trophy 500. Next on the bench for a refresh!
'72 Triumph Tiger 650. Back on the road...

Moderated by  John Healy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership