BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Geoff
Geoff
Westfield, Indiana, USA
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Useless Nipple
#799892 03/03/20 4:47 am
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
I purchased this centre stand for my GS a couple of years ago but just recently noticed that it has been threaded to take bolts instead of the distance tube and stud? Which, as the thread title states, makes the grease nipple rather useless. Gordo in Comox sent me the outside diameter of the tube so I will be drilling out the threads to fit the tube and stud. Assuming that it is a correct stand for the GS, has anyone seen this before?

Cheers,
Rick

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

73' Trackmaster T140
69' Lightning
69' Victor
66' Royal Star - Watsonian
58' GS Scrambler
58' Super Rocket
54' Golden Flash
Rickman Zundapp
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Useless Nipple
bsahatch #799905 03/03/20 12:16 pm
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I would hope it was an Idiot DPO modification as with that set up the rotation will be happening inside the frame lugs which will wear.
Wear should always be designed to happen in the easiest or chepest part to replace.
Now 100% on GS stands but generally the tube is slightly longer than the stand so gets pinched between the frame lugs.
The grease is there to allow the stand to freely rotate on the tube

Bike Beesa
Trevor
bsahatch #799913 03/03/20 2:28 pm
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Hi Trevor,

It's a strange modification to make; nothing about it makes sense. The stand fits between the frame lugs perfectly, with a bit of room for the tube to pinch and the stand to freely rotate as you mentioned (now useful grease nipple). The bolts are two big to fit through the frame lugs so the previous owner would have needed to drill out the lugs on a GS frame to make it work.

Rick

73' Trackmaster T140
69' Lightning
69' Victor
58' GS Scrambler
58' Super Rocket
54' Golden Flash
Rickman Zundapp
bsahatch #800033 03/04/20 4:53 pm
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Rick

I am surprised that no one else has seen this mod. There must have been a reason for going to all that effort. What is the measurement from the middle of the bolt holes to the bottom of the feet?

Gordo

The roadside repairs make for the best post ride stories.
bsahatch #800087 03/05/20 5:05 am
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Gordo,

Right on 9 inches.
Part number is 42-4721.

It's drilled all of the way through but threaded only about an inch and a bit in.
The grease nipple threads out easily but the hole does not go all the way through.
The bolt diameter is 1/2 inch.

73' Trackmaster T140
69' Lightning
69' Victor
58' GS Scrambler
58' Super Rocket
54' Golden Flash
Rickman Zundapp
bsahatch #800133 03/05/20 5:34 pm
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I am trying to figure out what you have.. The tube meant to slide into the casting has an OD of 0.625 inches and the through bolt is 7/16 inches OD. Could the original tube be stuck in your casting? A 1/2 inch bolt could be threaded into the tube but the threads would not be very deep. When I measure a stand from the tip of the foot to the center of the hole I get 9 1/2 inches.

Gordo

The roadside repairs make for the best post ride stories.

Moderated by  Rich B 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership