BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
GrandPaul
GrandPaul
Leander (Central) Texas, USA
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Lucas 3 prong Ignition switch
#799721 03/01/20 2:32 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
So ……. I have two switches, one with dodgy connections (sometimes it does not switch "off") and a key , and another with no key (but looks much nicer). I have seen switches for sale without the lock barrel, and lock barrels without the switches. So the obvious thing is to put the good switch with the barrel plus key together.

Question ….. how on God's green earth do you get the lock barrel out of the switch without the use of a 14lb sledge hammer and an angle grinder, (which would rather defeat the purpose of the exercise) ??

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Lucas 3 prong Ignition switch
Dave Martin #799723 03/01/20 2:44 pm
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
There should be a hole on the side, in one particular position of the barrel a rod/screwdriver used in the hole will push a plunger on the barrel so the barrel can then be pulled out.

I am assuming this is the FS type barrel. You can see the plunger sticking out on the end of this barrel.

[Linked Image from i.ebayimg.com]

Dave Martin #799724 03/01/20 3:23 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Gotcha! Put in key, turn till plunger is visible, push in plunger and extract barrel, simple. Problem is …... no key! Will revert to sledge hammer and angle grinder to exact vengeance if nothing else, or perhaps just drill another hole!

Dave Martin #799729 03/01/20 5:50 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
So frustrated, I had REALLY wanted to get the hammer and grinder out! Drilled hole in correct place thanks to the photo, found plunger and barrel came out just fine. Thanks for the image and instructions Kommando, they let me deal with an irritating problem.

Dave Martin #799738 03/01/20 7:52 pm
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
The number stamped on the side of the plumber is the key number, so on the plunger in the pic is stamped 910, so the key is FS910. You can order the key by key number.

Dave Martin #799756 03/01/20 11:40 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Yeah will probably do that. Of course it turns out that there was nothing wrong with the original switch, I had followed the wrong wiring diagram for the Podtronics. Slight but Oh so significant differences between the regular and "Hi-power". The negative output has to be wired in BEFORE the ignition switch (i.e. direct to battery), not after as with the regular regulator. Even with the "out" wire pulled off my ignition switch, I was still getting 5.5 volts between my negative buss and frame, just enough for the Vape to continue to give a spark, not a good one, but a spark non the less.

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership