BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Words from our sponsors..
Vintage Motorcycle Auctioneers!
Vintage Motorcycle Auctioneers

CLICK HERE to see VIDEO
How the Electric Roller Starter works.

ORDER on eBay. CLICK HERE!
Buy your Electric Roller Starter here
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
sprung hub
sprung hub
Sacramento, CA
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
knobby, coomo, Chris mannifield, ruellarobson, bikerboy
11023 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 133
DavidP 70
Rohan 64
koan58 63
Popular Topics(Views)
1,151,332 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics68,988
Posts691,372
Members11,023
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
70 registered members (Al Eckstadt), 2,140 guests, and 975 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Deep read #797966 02/09/20 2:20 pm
DPO Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Well here I sit, nearly 6 weeks after a significant fall I took at work. Was placed on FMLA and workers compensation for what I thought would only be a few weeks, but a pulmonary contusion, if anyone is curious, takes 6-8 weeks to fully recover from. My boss has the accident on video of me, working with my crew in the hangar, actually stepping out of the main entry door of a 737-700 and assuming the B-1 stand was still in place. Only about an 8 foot fall, I don’t remember any part of it. Apparently I stepped out backwards in an attempt to close the door, and landed on my left side fracturing 2 ribs, bruising the left lung, big black eye on the left, and damaging both wrists. The biggest thing for me is boredom. As y’all know, I love to write, and love vintage bikes but the British bikes for me are impossible to find at a reasonable price. I bought a 1979 Suzuki GS 425 from my neighbor for $100 after seeing the shiny front fender from my bathroom window finally made me go ask about it. HORRIBLE idea! So I have it to tinker with, and nearly ready to sell after $400 worth of parts. I also have a nearly perfect ‘72 Honda CB 350 Four that has become a wall flower in my garage.
I look forward to the riding season on my 2016 Triumph America, and doing ALOT of fishing in my boat that I traded a 73 Yamaha TX 750 for. I’ve learned that top water action is a beautiful thing, and has become one of my obsessions. Hoping to see the guys this year at BIBR and maybe the 3 state ride... still contemplating that idea....I know one thing for sure, I am now one of the several mechanics at work that has now become “retired but present” and will no longer do ANYTHING! Thanks for letting me share, and I’ll be ready for the 2020 riding (and fishing) season!

If you love it, let it go. If it comes back, you've highsided!"
2016 Triumph Bonneville America LT
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO
How the Electric Roller Starter works.

ORDER on eBay. CLICK HERE!

Buy your Electric Roller Starter here
Re: Deep read [Re: DPO] #797967 02/09/20 3:00 pm
Tridentman Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Hi DPO--long time no hear.
Sorry to hear about your accident--I hope that you are not in too much pain and that you heal quickly.
Cant resist this one----I guess that the fact that your feet were not injured in your fall is due to the fact that you were wearing flip flops?
Wishing you a rapid recovery and a great biking and fishing summer.

Re: Deep read [Re: DPO] #797968 02/09/20 3:40 pm
B
BSA_WM20 Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
B
On a simiilar vein.
My uncle used to design elevators.
Most common cause of civilian injury
Stepping into a lift car that was not there
Know exactly how you feel recover soon

Bike Beesa
Trevor
Re: Deep read [Re: DPO] #798297 02/14/20 3:55 pm
DavidP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
You must have had a look on your face like Wiley Coyote when the cliff disappears.
Mend well my friend.

Stepping on others doesn't make you stand tall.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
Re: Deep read [Re: DPO] #798302 02/14/20 5:38 pm
wadeschields Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Wow That had to hurt.... One of God's blessings is the fact that most of the time we cant remember the uber traumatic incidents that happen to us.... I have had a few that I cant remember. One put me in intensive care for two weeks... I only remember bits and pieces of even being in the hospital .

Did you hit concrete ?

http://wadeschields.tumblr.com/

Jack of all trades . Master of fun! wink

Beer is not the Answer.... Its the Question..... The answer is YES

[Linked Image]
Re: Deep read [Re: DPO] #798381 02/15/20 2:29 pm
GrandPaul Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
OUCH!

Sorry, dude.

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, a BSA, & some Japanese
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
Re: Deep read [Re: DPO] #798383 02/15/20 2:49 pm
Lannis Online Content
Well'ard Rocker
Online Content
Well'ard Rocker
Two broken ribs?

1) Don't sneeze.
2) Don't cough.
3) Don't laugh.
4) Don't tell us who's wiping your arse for you!

Get well soon! Come to the TSR if you're up to it ....

Lannis

Do dogs see police dogs and think "Oh no it's the cops!"?
Re: Deep read [Re: DPO] #798401 02/15/20 7:50 pm
I
Irish Swede Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
I
When I had heart valve replacement 20 years ago, it was in the day when the doc split open my chest to do it,

Same problem: Don't cough, sneeze or laugh.

Get a stiff pillow or a stuffed toy animal to HUG if you must do any of the above.
Hugging it will help compress your chest and will reduce the pain.

Re: Deep read [Re: DPO] #798535 02/17/20 5:46 am
DavidP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
"Don't sneeze." I hear that. I cracked a rib once. Didn't even realize it until the next day mowing the lawn. I sneezed and it put me on my knees.
As for memory loss, I can relate. Head-on in a Beetle landed me in ICU for two weeks. Don't remember much of that, but that was probably the morphine. My dad told me that the first time I spoke to him I spoke German.
Still don't remember the wreck. Doctor told me that when your head takes a serious whack it wipes out memory.

Stepping on others doesn't make you stand tall.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
Re: Deep read [Re: DPO] #798549 02/17/20 1:12 pm
ricochetrider Offline
Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
8 foot fall!
I know people who died or had super serious, lifelong injuries from falling less far.
Count your blessings bro and oh BTW good to"see" ya.

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

Re: Deep read [Re: DavidP] #798599 02/18/20 1:07 am
B
BSA_WM20 Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
B
Originally Posted by DavidP
"Don't sneeze." I hear that. I cracked a rib once. Didn't even realize it until the next day mowing the lawn. I sneezed and it put me on my knees.
As for memory loss, I can relate. Head-on in a Beetle landed me in ICU for two weeks. Don't remember much of that, but that was probably the morphine. My dad told me that the first time I spoke to him I spoke German.
Still don't remember the wreck. Doctor told me that when your head takes a serious whack it wipes out memory.

Maintaining memory , or to be more specific the links to the memory is very energy consumptive.
Thus as you are dieing and the brain starts to shut down, it starts tossing memories out in order to keep on fuctions like breathing & pumping blood.
This is the "your life flashes before your eyes" experience that many who have been comatose have experienced as the brain sifts through the memories and tosses out the ones that are least important , like what you just hit but keeps things like your famlies faces.
Next step after that is the "out of body " experience which is simply the brain making a 2 dimensional image of the space you are in ( cause it takes less energy than a 3 dimensional one ) based upon what it saw bfore the traums and the imputs from whatever remaining sences that are still functioning.
Your body likes to know it's relationship with the surroundings right up untill the end.

When I had my big one I had ultra clear memories of the "out of body " image as I hovered above myself lying dead on the road.
However I was latter to find out it was fabricated as my vision had only 2 ambuliances in attendance where as there were 3 but the third turned up after I passed out so the brain could lot "see" it being there.

Bodies & brains in particular are amazing things.
When I slipped away the 2nd time in the Ambulance I had another "out of body" looking down on the ambulance traveling along the roads all very clear in my mind, but not the actual ambuliance I was in ( light bars were different ).

All this can really play havoc with ones mind, particularly if one has deep religious beliefs.

Last edited by BSA_WM20; 02/18/20 1:08 am.

Bike Beesa
Trevor
Re: Deep read [Re: DPO] #798662 02/18/20 8:09 pm
E
edunham Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
E
That is interesting. When I was 17 (47 years ago), I was hit by a guy in a car going the wrong way on an interstate. I was on a Suzuki Titan, we were both going better than 70 mph. Tried to go down the center line, but didn't have enough time and he hit my left leg. I remember every bit of that accident except flying through the air. Can't remember what I had for breakfast, though.

Ed from NJ

Moderated by  Alan_nc, Graham Ham 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership